Interesting line from Piccolo about Goku in the dub; Does Goku really crave mayhem?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Interesting line from Piccolo about Goku in the dub; Does Goku really crave mayhem?

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:27 pm

In the Z dub when Gohan is being tortured by Cell, Piccolo tries to convince Goku to intervene, he says "He doesn't thirst for battle and mayhem! He's not a fighter like you!".

I just find it interesting, because the old dub usually went out of its way to play down Goku's less noble traits. He was mostly portrayed as "the hope of the universe", so it's just curious that this line of dialogue made it into that same dub. The dub does usually leave in his passion for fighting, but usually stops short of acknowledging the more toxic side of it.

For Piccolo to imply that Goku not only thirsts battle, but also "mayhem" is a pretty big deal, as it essentially paints our hero as a toxic person. The funny thing is I don't think that line was even in the Japanese version of that scene. I was recently rewatching the more accurate Kai dub, and Piccolo doesn't even mention Goku's nature, instead focusing on the fact that Goku's plan is flawed and asking him if he even discussed it with Gohan beforehand.

It seems that the Z dub may have actually added that line about him thirsting battle and mayhem, which is somewhat bizarre if that's the case as Funimation would normally be removing that sort of dialogue instead of adding it.

And it's also got me wondering if the mayhem line was a tad bit extreme. We all know Goku loves to fight, often at tremendous risk to the planet. But that risk to the planet is a byproduct of his desire to fight, and not something he's actively seeking to cause.

Does Goku really enjoy carnage, mayhem, and destruction? I honestly don't think so, but it would be interesting to hear what others think. Where is the line between a dangerous passion for battle and an actual appetite for destruction drawn?

Adamant
I Live Here

Re: Interesting line from Piccolo about Goku in the dub; Does Goku really crave mayhem?

Post by Adamant » Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:47 pm

I think you should watch the original instead of trying to make weird guesses about what may or may not have been said there based on comparing several bad dubs. This line seems to be a rewrite-heavy "localization" of 悟飯はきさまのように闘いは好きじゃないんだ ("Gohan doesn't like fighting, like you do")
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Interesting line from Piccolo about Goku in the dub; Does Goku really crave mayhem?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:13 am

Adamant wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:47 pm I think you should watch the original instead of trying to make weird guesses about what may or may not have been said there based on comparing several bad dubs. This line seems to be a rewrite-heavy "localization" of 悟飯はきさまのように闘いは好きじゃないんだ ("Gohan doesn't like fighting, like you do")
I don't think this is fair to the OP, he understands the Funimation Z dub line is drastically different from the original, and is just commenting on how in this instance it did a complete 180 on how it usually portrays Goku, to the extent of taking it even further than the Japanese version did. It is an interesting discussion because it almost feels self-aware as fans that don't like the heroic portrayal of Goku tend to paint him as a complete asshole who doesn't care if people are hurt by his desire to fight. I've always said the truth about Goku is somewhere in the middle, he does care about his family and friends, but puts his love of combat first, albeit without any bad intentions. This line in the dub is quite peculiar because it is a departure from both what it originally portrayed Goku as and what he is in the Japanese version.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:04 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:13 am I don't think this is fair to the OP, he understands the Funimation Z dub line is drastically different from the original, and is just commenting on...
No, he said he didn't think this line was in the original because he had crosschecked with some other dub. I recognized what line this was obviously translated from and told him what the original DID say, while pointing out the obvious, that he could've easily crosschecked with the actual Japanese instead of another dub if he was going to do any crossreferencing.

If you think this is an interesting discussion (I don't), surely this is kinda relevant information to you.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:22 am

Adamant wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:04 am
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:13 am I don't think this is fair to the OP, he understands the Funimation Z dub line is drastically different from the original, and is just commenting on...
No, he said he crosschecked with another dub and then made a guess about what the original said. Instead of, you know, checking the original. It's pretty fair to point out that he could've just done that.

I also told him what the original said, so now he, and you, DO know and no longer have to guess. That's pretty fair too. Carry on your discussion.
I know what the implication is in the original, and so does 90sDBZ, he was saying he doesn't think it was said in the Japanese version, and that's fair because we don't know what the exact words being said in Japanese are. The closest approximation we have is how Steve Simmons translated the lines, so it's not wrong for someone, whether they've seen the Japanese version or not (which I have, and 90sDBZ has) to say we don't think X was said.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:39 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:22 am I know what the implication is in the original, and so does 90sDBZ, he was saying he doesn't think it was said in the Japanese version, and that's fair because we don't know what the exact words being said in Japanese are. The closest approximation we have is how Steve Simmons translated the lines, so it's not wrong for someone, whether they've seen the Japanese version or not (which I have, and 90sDBZ has) to say we don't think X was said.
But now you know, because I told you.

Either way, my point was that if you were wondering what the original said in some scene, surely you should be checking the subtitled version and not some other dub. I'm really not getting what's supposed to be "not fair" about pointing this out.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:49 am

Adamant wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:39 am
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:22 am I know what the implication is in the original, and so does 90sDBZ, he was saying he doesn't think it was said in the Japanese version, and that's fair because we don't know what the exact words being said in Japanese are. The closest approximation we have is how Steve Simmons translated the lines, so it's not wrong for someone, whether they've seen the Japanese version or not (which I have, and 90sDBZ has) to say we don't think X was said.

Either way, my point was that if you were wondering what the original said in some scene, surely you should be checking the subtitled version and not some other dub. I'm really not getting what's supposed to be "not fair" about pointing this out.
No, I know because I've seen the Japanese version. Either way we should drop it now as we've derailed this thread enough. Just trying to keep the peace around here.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:15 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:49 am

No, I know because I've seen the Japanese version. Either way we should drop it now as we've derailed this thread enough. Just trying to keep the peace around here.
"we don't know what the exact words being said in Japanese are. The closest approximation we have is how Steve Simmons translated the lines, so it's not wrong for someone, whether they've seen the Japanese version or not (which I have, and 90sDBZ has) to say we don't think X was said."
"I know because I've seen the Japanese version."
:crazy:

And dude, you've been "trying to keep the peace around here" by, in order, coming into a thread and claiming someone else wasn't being fair to the OP for answering his question, claiming the OP was "just commenting" on something despite that not being the case, claiming the OP knew the answer despite him saying he didn't...

You might want to reconsider how you're going about this "peacekeeping" of yours.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:36 am

Adamant wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:15 am
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:49 am

"we don't know what the exact words being said in Japanese are. The closest approximation we have is how Steve Simmons translated the lines, so it's not wrong for someone, whether they've seen the Japanese version or not (which I have, and 90sDBZ has) to say we don't think X was said."
"I know because I've seen the Japanese version."
:crazy:

And dude, you've been "trying to keep the peace around here" by, in order, coming into a thread and claiming someone else wasn't being fair to the OP for answering his question, claiming the OP was "just commenting" on something despite that not being the case, claiming the OP knew the answer despite him saying he didn't...

You might want to reconsider how you're going about this "peacekeeping" of yours.
My point was, we know what's being implied in the sub, not every word verbatim, hence 90sDBZ saying he doesn't think it was said, and is saying based on what we can interpret that version to have said the dub seems to take it a step further with Piccolo claiming Goku craves mayhem.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:04 am

I know Japanese, I know what was said, and I was explaining what was said to someone that specifically said they didn't know, but was making (wrong) assumptions based on what some other dub mistranslated it as. Then you came in out of nowhere and started derailing the thread with all kinds of bizarre interpretations of what the OP "actually" meant and how it wasn't fair to answer their question because they apparently weren't asking. You called this "trying to keep the peace around here".

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:49 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:36 am

My point was, we know what's being implied in the sub, not every word verbatim
Why not though? The subtitles are right there.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:55 am

Adamant wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:47 pm I think you should watch the original instead of trying to make weird guesses about what may or may not have been said there based on comparing several bad dubs. This line seems to be a rewrite-heavy "localization" of 悟飯はきさまのように闘いは好きじゃないんだ ("Gohan doesn't like fighting, like you do")
I've seen the Japanese version in full dude. It just so happens that I can't remember every single line of dialogue, and I just happen to be rewatching Kai in English at the moment, which is generally considered to be pretty accurate.

The main point of the topic was whether or not the line rings true for people. We all know Goku thirsts battle, but does he thirst for the mayhem that comes along with it. I'm fully aware the line isn't in the original, but it does seem to match up with his character to a certain degree, even if it does go a bit far.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:56 am

90sDBZ wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:55 am
I've seen the Japanese version in full dude. It just so happens that I can't remember every single line of dialogue, and I just happen to be rewatching Kai in English at the moment, which is generally considered to be pretty accurate.
My sincerest apologies for bothering to go out of my way to look up the line you specifically said you didn't know what said for you, dude. You're welcome.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:21 am

Woof. The dripping sarcasm across all involved is actually splashing and hitting me in the face over here.

So.

Dragon Ball Ireland: You're really out of line here. You're not a moderator, you're reporting posts for invalid reasons, and you're just making a bigger mess. Please stop.

As to whether the topic of this thread (analyzing out from a line in an English dub) is worth even doing:

(1) Adamant's absolutely correct in that it's not really relevant of a line. It has nothing to do with the show. It's what some folks down in Texas rewrote into their version of the show. You can like that version of the show, you can like the line, you can tattoo it on your arm, whatever. That's all fine. No-one's casting much judgement there. But the fact does remain that it's not the original line, it's not a translation of the original line, and it's not even a particularly faithful rewrite of the underlying intent of the line. In that regard, no, there's nothing to really say about it here. The original line was provided, and that's that. That we got to the point where people keep talking around this fact and backtracking and such kinda does validate Adamant's latest "goddamn y'all see if I help you again" response.

(2) THAT ALL SAID: if no-one even brought up the English dub line, but someone asked if Goku actually craved mayhem underneath his other feelings/motivations, that would absolutely be a worthwhile topic that has legitimate material to run with and analyze.

So have that conversation with the understanding that FUNimation's English dub has no real relevance or impact upon Goku's characterization and that its dialog is irrelevant in this context.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:07 pm

As much as I agree that dub lines have no bearing on the series, I would still say this line is interesting, if only because of how it goes against the way FUNimation typically characterized Goku, and in a weird way, it kind of unintentionally echoes the whole “Goku is poisonous” statement from Toriyama.

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:14 pm

The Cell Games were definitely Goku's lowest moment and are part of the reason that I disagree with the notion that Goku is a static character. He maintains his general sunny and friendly demeanor along with his love for martial arts, but he still changes a good deal. Aside from the expected increases in intelligence, social/worldly awareness, and verbal skills (Goku shows an eloquence sometimes in the Z era that he never comes anywhere close to as a boy) that most go through from childhood to adulthood, his role in the story changes some and the 'toxicity' Toriyama spoke of goes from completely nonexistent to more and more pronounced. Prior to the 23rd Budokai Goku was just a straightforward kid hero that never does anything remotely controversial, from that point on Toriyama enjoys making him do things to challenge the audience's feelings for him.

And I enjoy the change. I think it's really interesting that the sweet, innocent, braindead little kid of the early series, who's seen as the cute little brother of the group and seemingly doesn't have a lucid thought anywhere inside his head, grows up to do a lot of controversial things and even act as a manipulative chessmaster during the Cell Games.

But even with all of that mind, saying that Goku enjoys mayhem is much much too far. No matter what portion of the series you're talking about, Goku hates slaughter and bullying and destruction. There's a chance that he enjoys life-and-death battles moreso than friendly sparring, but even if that's the case, the only person he wants to be in danger is himself. He's clearly torn up every time a villain destroys towns or buildings or innocents.

There's another bit of nuance in that even though Goku is willing to risk the lives of countless innocent people, he wouldn't knowingly outright sacrifice them. There's a 20 percent chance that fighting a strong enemy will result in deaths? Worth it. 50 percent chance? Worth it. 80 percent? Worth it. But if there was a 100 percent chance that fighting a strong opponent would require someone to die, I don't think that he would go along with that. (ie I don't think that he would let Cell absorb 18 like Vegeta did)
Princess Snake avatars courtesy of Kunzait, Chibi Goku avatar from Velasa.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:34 pm

Dr. Casey wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:14 pm The Cell Games were definitely Goku's lowest moment and are part of the reason that I disagree with the notion that Goku is a static character. He maintains his general sunny and friendly demeanor along with his love for martial arts, but he still changes a good deal. Aside from the expected increases in intelligence, social/worldly awareness, and verbal skills (Goku shows an eloquence sometimes in the Z era that he never comes anywhere close to as a boy) that most go through from childhood to adulthood, his role in the story changes some and the 'toxicity' Toriyama spoke of goes from completely nonexistent to more and more pronounced. Prior to the 23rd Budokai Goku was just a straightforward kid hero that never does anything remotely controversial, from that point on Toriyama enjoys making him do things to challenge the audience's feelings for him.

And I enjoy the change. I think it's really interesting that the sweet, innocent, braindead little kid of the early series, who's seen as the cute little brother of the group and seemingly doesn't have a lucid thought anywhere inside his head, grows up to do a lot of controversial things and even act as a manipulative chessmaster during the Cell Games.

But even with all of that mind, saying that Goku enjoys mayhem is much much too far. No matter what portion of the series you're talking about, Goku hates slaughter and bullying and destruction. There's a chance that he enjoys life-and-death battles moreso than friendly sparring, but even if that's the case, the only person he wants to be in danger is himself. He's clearly torn up every time a villain destroys towns or buildings or innocents.

There's another bit of nuance in that even though Goku is willing to risk the lives of countless innocent people, he wouldn't knowingly outright sacrifice them. There's a 20 percent chance that fighting a strong enemy will result in deaths? Worth it. 50 percent chance? Worth it. 80 percent? Worth it. But if there was a 100 percent chance that fighting a strong opponent would require someone to die, I don't think that he would go along with that. (ie I don't think that he would let Cell absorb 18 like Vegeta did)
Yeah; like I always say, Goku's recklessness comes not from a lack of caring, but self-assurance. He knows there are potentially negative consequences from his actions, but he's confident he can handle them or prevent them from happening. It's when he doesn't have that confidence that he acts more proactively and responsibly (Teaming up against Raditz, wanting to fuse to fight Super Buu but having no problem breaking the earrings against Kid Buu, etc)

It's "Meh, it'll be fine 🤷‍♂️" vs. "LOL Fuck 'em 🤣"
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:23 pm

Adamant wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:56 am My sincerest apologies for bothering to go out of my way to look up the line you specifically said you didn't know what said for you, dude. You're welcome.
I'll be honest. I replied to the first part if your post in a hurry, and somehow missed the last bit where you posted the original line despite quoting it, so my bad there and thanks for the translation.
VegettoEX wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:21 am (1) Adamant's absolutely correct in that it's not really relevant of a line. It has nothing to do with the show. It's what some folks down in Texas rewrote into their version of the show. You can like that version of the show, you can like the line, you can tattoo it on your arm, whatever. That's all fine. No-one's casting much judgement there. But the fact does remain that it's not the original line, it's not a translation of the original line, and it's not even a particularly faithful rewrite of the underlying intent of the line. In that regard, no, there's nothing to really say about it here. The original line was provided, and that's that.
The main reason I brought it up is because despite this site being dedicated to the original, the various dubs and their many changes do get talked about a lot here. There have been countless topics on the changes Barry Watson and co. made. I figured this example would be worth talking about in the context of those changes, as it goes in the opposite direction to Funimation's normal treatment of Goku.

Another reason I brought it up is because it prompted me to consider if Goku, in the Japanese version, does indeed crave mayhem. I'm not trying to claim any line from the dub has any bearing on the original. I just meant that this was a rare case were the dub coincidently described something more in line with Goku's original character, which got me thinking about said character.

Perhaps I should've made 2 separate topics for the sake of clarity. One addressing the line as a departure from Funimation's status quo, and a separate one about Goku's potential craving for mayhem/chaos.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:18 am

90sDBZ wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:55 am We all know Goku thirsts battle, but does he thirst for the mayhem that comes along with it. I'm fully aware the line isn't in the original, but it does seem to match up with his character to a certain degree, even if it does go a bit far.

I thought he just wanted to fight strong opponents and was sometimes reckless about it... Why would he want mayhem?

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:48 am

I don't think there is anything to suggest that either TOEI or Funimation Goku ever purposely wanted to experience chaos for its own sake. He just wants to fight strong guys, and if he could do it in a controlled environment then he would (and has).
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san