Interesting line from Piccolo about Goku in the dub; Does Goku really crave mayhem?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Re: Interesting line from Piccolo about Goku in the dub; Does Goku really crave mayhem?

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:30 pm

Goku might be a guy who goes out of his way to fight someone just because he likes a good fight, but that does not mean he loves mayhem. He seemed pretty pissed off when Vegeta killed all those spectators at the World Martial Arts Tournament, so no, I don't believe he does.

He really is just a guy who loves a good fight, but at the same time he does care about other people, even if he doesn't go out of his way to do heroic deeds like Gohan.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Interesting line from Piccolo about Goku in the dub; Does Goku really crave mayhem?

Post by Anonymous Friend » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:25 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:53 pm
Anonymous Friend wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:56 pm This is kind of like a topic I saw on the old IMDB forums for that Sandra Bullock and George Clooney movie called Gravity.

When Clooney makes his way back to Bullock after running out of air, he says he was able to do so because he had was able to sqeeze a bit more charge out of his batteries.

Poster started ouot but saying he knows it was a dream sequence, but how did he get extra charge out of his batteries if they were empty.
I don't think that analogy applies here. I've explained this already, but I wasn't trying to imply dub lines are relevant to the original version. I was just saying that the line in question happened to get me thinking about Japanese Goku's character, while also noting the line was a deviation from Funimation's typical treatment of Goku.

I probably shouldn't have mentioned the dub at all because it's obviously rubbed people the wrong way, and distracted from the main point of the topic.
The problem is, the dub tends to change the meaning of things often. The use of the word "mayhem" doesn't even mesh with it's own chararecterization of him.

Mayhem. Chaos. Drama.

None of that is Goku from any version.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:03 pm

Anonymous Friend wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:25 pm The use of the word "mayhem" doesn't even mesh with it's own chararecterization of him.
I did mention this in my initial post. I found it noteworthy because it's literally a 180 of how the dub usually portrays him. I'll just say once more that this obviously has no connection to the original. I just find it interesting is all.
Mayhem. Chaos. Drama.
Depends how you define those words.

Does he enjoy seeing innocents suffer? No.
Does he get an extra thrill at the prospect of a high stakes fight? Possibly.

The fights he enjoys the most tend to be the ones were everything is on the line. This could be simply because his more evil opponents just happen to be the strongest. Or it could be that he actually likes the added pressure and suspense of a life or death fight, similar to how someone with a gambling addiction gets more addicted with higher stakes.

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:12 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:03 pm
Mayhem. Chaos. Drama.
Depends how you define those words.

Does he enjoy seeing innocents suffer? No.
Does he get an extra thrill at the prospect of a high stakes fight? Possibly.

The fights he enjoys the most tend to be the ones were everything is on the line. This could be simply because his more evil opponents just happen to be the strongest. Or it could be that he actually likes the added pressure and suspense of a life or death fight, similar to how someone with a gambling addiction gets more addicted with higher stakes.
The fights that generally happen in the series are almost always potential end of the world ones. He did try to deter Vegeta and Nappa. I can't remember if he did the same with Freeza. I know with the way he was described him, he really wanted to face off.H ewas excited to fight andriods sight-unseen due to knowing a different version of himself did not get to and how they decimated everyone else. He had no interest in fighting Buu, especially after seeing how Supreme Kai overestimated Babidi's minions. And while he did look forward to seeing everyone for his day pass, he put helping with the situation over fighting Vegeta, until Vegeta pushed him into it.

ll other big fights were tournement stuff. I think he was really jazzed about those. I would even go as far as saying he preferred these over the life or death stakes. Plus, they offered restrictions that made the fights more interesting. Once Piccolo destroyed the arena, he made it a point to stay inbounds.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063