Should Funimation have kept Dameon Clark as Gohan?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Should Funimation have kept Dameon Clark as Gohan?

Post by Peach » Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:55 pm

Dameon Clark voiced Future Gohan in the History of Trunks special.

When the company got to dubbing the Buu saga, they didn't keep Dameon for some reason. Instead going with Kyle Hebert as the older Gohan.

Here are clips of Dameon as Gohan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OysRIQRdtPQ

Do you prefer Kyle Hebert? Or do you wish they would have kept Dameon for Present Gohan?

I've always found Kyle Hebert a little awkward as Gohan at times.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Should Funimation have kept Dameon Clark as Gohan?

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:57 pm

They should have cast Justin Cook who was about the right age for Gohan. Instead they cast him for Dende. I guess Funimation didn't want Cook voicing Gohan and Yusuke but still.

As for Clarke. He's whatever. We have to keep in mind this was 2000 ers Funimation where most of the cast was still awful. So Clarke not doing a stupid voice for Gohan or acting like talking was a confusing task is a step up from the standard.

But in short neither Hebert or Clarke were very good.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:55 pm

I find Herbert's performance was decent enough. I mean, it was the Z dub, so it's not like there was a high standard. Now, I'm not trying to say that as a knock on anyone, but what are we judging as a "good" dub Gohan? Funimation didn't care about likeness to the Japanese voice or making the Son family sound alike or getting experienced actors who delivered the lines well. They just casted a guy to play a guy and spit out some words that they typed up--and most of the time, it didn't really matter how those words were spit out. The Z dub sold itself on the actual animation happening on the TV and the cast didn't really matter. I mean, obviously, right? We've learned from "season 3" that the cast did not matter.

So, in that aspect, it didn't matter who played Gohan. The only standard for a "good" Gohan dub voice was who you feel was better to listen to. Otherwise, it was "Funimation Presents: Their Version of Dragon Ball Z!" So, they could pick anyone to play anyone. They changed the dialog, the music, the way the voices sounded. I'm not even really sure why they kept the names.

In terms of who was more pleasant-sounding to me, it didn't matter. Did dub Gohan have moments where his voice was a bit too deep for my liking? Yup. But then again, which of their casting choices didn't have flaws that separated them from the original cast? I think that Herbert's performance was a lot easier on the ears than Schemmel's raspy screams or that obviously unnatural "Aw, schucks, look at me! I'm a fun-loving guy! Beh-heh-heh-heh!" voice.

Kai was a much better telling sign, where we didn't have Clarke take a stab at a more true depiction of Gohan. Did Herbert sound decent enough saying things that Gohan would actually say and how he'd say them? Good enough. Even though it was a bit too whiny for me sometimes, I did enjoy Brad Swaile's performance. And just knowing his work on Death Note just makes me think it's a shame that Funimation packed up their little tent and moved it to Taxas. With a decent budget and directing... Anyway, that's just a fantasy.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:50 pm

It’s been a long time since I heard Dameon Clarke’s Gohan, so I took a quick stop to BTVA, and man, I can tell this is the same guy who voices Cell and Paragus.

To answer the question, I don’t feel a particular need to hear more of Dameon Clarke’s Gohan. He’s serviceable, but that’s about it. I’m not sure why FUNimation recast him, though. Maybe they just liked Hebert too much to keep him relegated to the narrator and Ox-King.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:06 pm

Kyle Hebert used to make Gohan sound TOO dorky but he's improved leaps and bounds in the last decade. I think he's perfect for him now.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:11 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:50 pm It’s been a long time since I heard Dameon Clarke’s Gohan, so I took a quick stop to BTVA, and man, I can tell this is the same guy who voices Cell and Paragus.

To answer the question, I don’t feel a particular need to hear more of Dameon Clarke’s Gohan. He’s serviceable, but that’s about it. I’m not sure why FUNimation recast him, though. Maybe they just liked Hebert too much to keep him relegated to the narrator and Ox-King.
honestly i just find it weird they casted him at all, has there ever been any reason stated why or what the general consensus as to why is ? even in video games, when there's a (Future) Gohan, it's herbert isn't it ?
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:26 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:11 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:50 pm It’s been a long time since I heard Dameon Clarke’s Gohan, so I took a quick stop to BTVA, and man, I can tell this is the same guy who voices Cell and Paragus.

honestly i just find it weird they casted him at all, has there ever been any reason stated why or what the general consensus as to why is ? even in video games, when there's a (Future) Gohan, it's herbert isn't it ?
History of Trunks was dubbed well before Kyle Hebert was casted.
Cold World (Fanfic)

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:48 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:26 pm

If anything its more weird Clarke was recast with Hebert. Generally, Funimation only seemed to recast when an actor became unavailable but Clarke was definitely still doing voice work for them in 2001 and 2002.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:29 am

I used to enjoy Dameon Clarke's Future Gohan quite a bit, particularly as his slight Canadian accent would remind me of Peter Kelamis at times. But putting that personal bias aside, while he felt like a serviceable voice for the more grizzled and authoritative Future Gohan, he would have been sorely miscast as the more mild and awkward teenage Gohan. That role just requires a more youthful and innocent-sounding voice as a baseline, which is something Clarke just flat out lacked.

Now I'm not saying Kyle Hebert had those qualities either, I actually think he was miscast too for very similar reasons. He naturally sounded too old in my opinion for the version of Gohan he was cast to play, and his voice direction was seemingly to sound like a cool hero voice, which completely misses the point of his characterization.

The Canadian dub did better by casting Brad Swaile in the role as he naturally had a more appropriate youthful pitch and didn't need to 'put on a voice', so to speak. He was just all-around a better fit for the archetype. The only time he did modify his voice was for Saiyaman or Ultimate Gohan, and that's after he had gone through a major change, but I digress as that's not the point of this thread.

Do I think Funimation made the right choice swapping out Clarke when they did? Based on their cast at the time, yes. But was their second choice any more fitting? Not really... And it's grown to become one of their legacy voices I find the most grating as it would never be cast that way today, or by any competent dubbing studio period. Even the Bang Zoom dub, for all its faults, cast Gohan appropriately in their short-lived dub of Super.

Brodes
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brodes » Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:51 pm

NitroEX wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:29 am I used to enjoy Dameon Clarke's Future Gohan quite a bit, particularly as his slight Canadian accent would remind me of Peter Kelamis at times. But putting that personal bias aside, while he felt like a serviceable voice for the more grizzled and authoritative Future Gohan, he would have been sorely miscast as the more mild and awkward teenage Gohan. That role just requires a more youthful and innocent-sounding voice as a baseline, which is something Clarke just flat out lacked.

Outside of my desire to just give a snarky comment about being shockingly surprised at Funimation actually recasting someone for not fitting a character role, surely Clarke would have been able to modulate his voice enough for it to work? The dub did call him 'adult Gohan' at the least.

To be honest though, this thread just made me realise I'd never seen History of Trunks dubbed and that I always assumed teen Gohan was voiced by Kyke Herbert in the dub.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:48 pm

Kyle Hebert’s Gohan doesn’t sound particularly old to me. Gohan is chronologically 17 in the Boo arc (or 18 in the dub?), and I can buy an older teen sounding like that.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:55 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:48 pm Kyle Hebert’s Gohan doesn’t sound particularly old to me. Gohan is chronologically 17 in the Boo arc (or 18 in the dub?), and I can buy an older teen sounding like that.
Yeah it's really not that uncommon for 17 year olds, hell even 14 year olds to have very deep voices. Some of the guys I was in school with sounded like grown men as soon as their voices broke, while others wouldn't even have their voice break until after leaving. People act like all teenage boys are meant to sound the same, when in reality they differ greatly.

I've always liked Kyle Hebert's Gohan, because he nails both his awkward and confident sides. His "No, I wanna kill you" line to Super Buu is a classic.

Dameon Clarke did a solid job as the battle hardened Future Gohan, but I'm not sure he'd be as suited to the nerdier Buu arc Gohan. I'd have to hear him attempt it to know for sure though.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:23 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:48 pm
jjgp1112 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:26 pm

If anything its more weird Clarke was recast with Hebert. Generally, Funimation only seemed to recast when an actor became unavailable but Clarke was definitely still doing voice work for them in 2001 and 2002.
Stuff like that can happen. For example, in Tenchi Universe and the first Tenchi movie Kiyone was voiced by Sherry Lynn who also voiced Sasami, but Tenchi in Tokyo onward she was voiced by Wendee Lee while Ms. Lynn still voiced Sasami.

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:09 am

90sDBZ wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:55 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:48 pm Kyle Hebert’s Gohan doesn’t sound particularly old to me. Gohan is chronologically 17 in the Boo arc (or 18 in the dub?), and I can buy an older teen sounding like that.
Yeah it's really not that uncommon for 17 year olds, hell even 14 year olds to have very deep voices. Some of the guys I was in school with sounded like grown men as soon as their voices broke, while others wouldn't even have their voice break until after leaving. People act like all teenage boys are meant to sound the same, when in reality they differ greatly.
This is a redundant argument because you're not dealing with reality, it's a fictional world designed to evoke a specific emotion in the viewer. These worlds are carefully curated by storytellers, a director, casting director etc in order to serve the needs of the story that's being told. They don't cast fictional character voices based on random whim or personal anecdotes (at least in most cases), they cast according to generally recognized archetypes that already exist across most media and storytelling, they do this because it's shorthand for an audience to subconsciously understand who a character is and to accentuate the writing and visual design of the character.

Obviously, there are exceptions to regular high school characters, but they're usually designed, written and cast that way to serve a point. For example, the high school bullies in season 0 Yugioh have deep voices not because it's 'realistic', they're cast that way because it better serves the needs of the story to make the protagonist seem more of an underdog on an emotional level.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:05 am

NitroEX wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:09 am
This is a redundant argument because you're not dealing with reality, it's a fictional world designed to evoke a specific emotion in the viewer. These worlds are carefully curated by storytellers, a director, casting director etc in order to serve the needs of the story that's being told. They don't cast fictional character voices based on random whim or personal anecdotes (at least in most cases), they cast according to generally recognized archetypes that already exist across most media and storytelling, they do this because it's shorthand for an audience to subconsciously understand who a character is and to accentuate the writing and visual design of the character.

Obviously, there are exceptions to regular high school characters, but they're usually designed, written and cast that way to serve a point. For example, the high school bullies in season 0 Yugioh have deep voices not because it's 'realistic', they're cast that way because it better serves the needs of the story to make the protagonist seem more of an underdog on an emotional level.
Again, I don’t think Kyle Hebert’s Gohan even sounds particularly old or unusual. Gohan is 17, not 12. I also don’t know what you mean by archetypes. Adults play teenagers all the time.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:14 am

NitroEX wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:09 am

I don't know what world you live in where Kyle Hebert's voice is remotely unusual coming out of a run-of-the-mill 17 year-old...or how it goes against how Gohan's portrayal as an adult.
Cold World (Fanfic)

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:03 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:05 am Again, I don’t think Kyle Hebert’s Gohan even sounds particularly old or unusual. Gohan is 17, not 12. I also don’t know what you mean by archetypes. Adults play teenagers all the time.
Yes, adults play teenagers, but they're typically adults who sound like teenagers. Kyle does not share this trait as evidenced by a large majority of his roles being young adults and older males, that's just where his voice comfortably fits. He can push his voice to sound more like a teenager but it still sounds affected and older than what's typically expected, any decent casting director would be able to hear it.

In the case of a character like Gohan who is supposed to convey innocence and sincerity at his core, Kyle is not best suited to convey that. He can act like Gohan but his voice works against him. He sounds no more like a teenager than the Supreme Kai does. Are the scenes that they share supposed to convey that dynamic to the audience?

Despite the generic nature of the character designs, and despite what is 'realistic' teenage Gohan is supposed to sound youthful in the context of the Z anime. He's there to fulfil the role of a young hero archetype who comes into his own.

But I'm sure you'll disagree and that's fine, I'm not interested in dragging out pedantic arguments so I'll leave it there.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:59 pm

Hebert's Gohan is fine, as is Clarke's. I don't understand the argument that he's too old for the character. Like many have said, there are many 17 year olds that sound like that in real life.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:43 pm

NitroEX wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:09 am This is a redundant argument because you're not dealing with reality, it's a fictional world designed to evoke a specific emotion in the viewer. These worlds are carefully curated by storytellers, a director, casting director etc in order to serve the needs of the story that's being told. They don't cast fictional character voices based on random whim or personal anecdotes (at least in most cases), they cast according to generally recognized archetypes that already exist across most media and storytelling, they do this because it's shorthand for an audience to subconsciously understand who a character is and to accentuate the writing and visual design of the character.

You literally complained that he sounds too old to be 17, and now you're saying comparing him to real life teenagers is redundant. :?

Someone doesn't need to have a high pitched voice to come across as an underdog, nor do they need a deep voice to be a bully. What you're describing are caricatures.

Kyle Hebert nails Gohan's shy and awkward side with his delivery. He was already a standout in Z and got even better in Kai.

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:52 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:43 pm You literally complained that he sounds too old to be 17, and now you're saying comparing him to real life teenagers is redundant. :?
Did you not read my posts? You were bringing up anecdotal evidence to attempt to justify why Kyle sounding older is fitting for teenage Gohan... As if that has any relevance in a fictional setting or for his characterization in the story (hint: it doesn't). They cast characters using standard archetypes as a guide (typically ones that a considered voicer actor already excels at) or common generalities that everybody can understand, this isn't my opinion, it's an observable trend within media and storytelling, particularly children's media (a category which Dragon Ball falls into).

They don't cast outliers unless there's a justifiable reason for it, and in Gohan's case, there's no reason to deviate and make him sound any older unless of course the production can't find a suitable voice in the first place or was misdirected and miscast. I can't make it any clearer than that.
Someone doesn't need to have a high pitched voice to come across as an underdog, nor do they need a deep voice to be a bully. What you're describing are caricatures.
No, I'm simply describing common western tropes in voice acting that you seem either oblivious to or in denial of.
Unless I'm writing a character in direct parody of Mike Tyson or deliberately creating a comedy, I'm typically not going to cast the voice of a bully with a high-pitched actor. I don't care that it exists in real life because that's irrelevant and either distracts or undermines whatever serious story I might be trying to tell. It's common sense. And yes, I know that's an extreme example but you get the point.

But if you really disagree you can always make your case to the media and casting business and tell them how wrong they are.
Kyle Hebert nails Gohan's shy and awkward side with his delivery. He was already a standout in Z and got even better in Kai.
Hard disagree. As adult Gohan in Super or GT, he's serviceable in the role, I'll give him that. But as a teenage Gohan, his shortcomings have always been very apparent. And I've already mentioned that I think his voice works against him in regards to acting the part (the shy, nerdy stuff) it doesn't come across as genuine as it would with a different actor who more naturally possesses those traits.

If I had to guess, Barry Watson era Funi most likely cast Kyle because he has that cool hero sound to his voice. He stuck around in Kai as a legacy casting because people were already used to him but even then he wasn't perfect by any means, he was just better than his Z performance (which wasn't a high bar to achieve in the first place).