Future Trunks’ Sexual Orientation

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SorikaiWolf89
Not-So-Newbie

Future Trunks’ Sexual Orientation

Post by SorikaiWolf89 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:59 am

Specifically at the beginning of Super Android 13 when Trunks is waiting for the fashion show to begin Krillin scolds Roshi and Oolong for their perverse and childish behavior saying in the Japanese dialogue that “They will corrupt Trunks” with Trunks saying while blushing , “Well, actually…”

He never finished that sentence so I’m very curious as to what he was going to say
Was he going to reveal his sexual orientation implying that he’s gay/not interested in women, or maybe that he’s asexual?

In the dub he responds saying ,
“Don’t worry about me guys.”
Which I kinda took as a loose implication that maybe he’s not interested in women or at least not in the same way as Roshi and Oolong which implies that he’s also pure hearted

I mean he’s been shown multiple times to obviously be very shy and embarrassed when it comes to flirtatious behavior, mentions of romance, and scantily clad women for example blushing every time these situations happen around him but has never shown any interest in any romantic relationship until Super with Mai but that’s considered to not be true canon by Toriyama

(DB Super Trunks is a whole different topic in itself so I’m specifically talking about DBZ Future Trunks)

Anyway , I don’t think DBZ Future Trunks is QUITE gay though but a combination of simply being shy around women who flirt with him (similar to how Yamcha used to be but of course obviously less extreme) and a combo of being uninterested in a romantic relationship
So maybe he’s just asexual?
Or just simply the type to wait for the right person to come to him which is probably the most likely

Scientist Fu
Beyond Newbie

Re: Future Trunks’ Sexual Orientation

Post by Scientist Fu » Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:11 am

I don't think there's a deeper meaning behind it. In DBS, future Trunks seems to have a love interest in Mai or at least he cares about her. You can argue whether he is pansexual, bisexual or asexual, but we don't have any proof that he is any of that so it's just useless theories.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:26 am

I took that more as an "I already know about sex you guys, I'm an adult".

When he's got that long hair after the time chamber, though? Guy can get it.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:35 am

Given how the two explicitly gay men in pre-Super Dragon Ball were written I'm going to go with no.

SorikaiWolf89
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SorikaiWolf89 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:24 pm

Shaddy wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:26 am I took that more as an "I already know about sex you guys, I'm an adult".

When he's got that long hair after the time chamber, though? Guy can get it.

Yeah , that makes the most sense actually given that he’s about 19-21 during the Android/Cell sagas making him a young adult so yeah he’ll definitely have an understanding of sex even if he’s seemingly not interested in it which is probably what he meant by saying to Krillin, “Don’t worry I’m not interested anyway.” is another more direct way to word what he said

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:28 pm

No way in hell were they going there, and we know quite well how gay people are represented in the franchise. He was just a shy kid, that's all, not really girls on mind with the weight of the world on shoulders and all.

SorikaiWolf89
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SorikaiWolf89 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:39 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:35 am Given how the two explicitly gay men in pre-Super Dragon Ball were written I'm going to go with no.
True Toriyama goes with the typically obviously gay characters mostly for comedic purposes and would probably never make a main character homosexual or trans unless it’s for a joke or comedic moment like when kid Goku dressed as a girl and GT Trunks as a woman

Anyway its very clear that Toriyama made all the main characters and secondary important characters heterosexual as that is the norm for Shonen manga main characters

SorikaiWolf89
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SorikaiWolf89 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:58 pm

mute_proxy wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:28 pm No way in hell were they going there, and we know quite well how gay people are represented in the franchise. He was just a shy kid, that's all, not really girls on mind with the weight of the world on shoulders and all.

Very true , Toriyama/Toei wouldn’t be so subtle with revealing a characters orientation especially a main one as Toriyama makes it very clear as to when a character is homosexual for mostly comedic purposes

It’s clear as day that the main characters are heterosexual as that’s the norm of super hero protagonists in a Shonen manga with Trunks just being very shy around women and sexual situations probably bc he’s not used to being around other women besides his mom

In fact he probably barely had ANY interaction with anyone else besides her in his future besides the occasional person he saved from the Androids so yeah I can understand why he’s shy with basically his mom and formally Gohan as his only other companions

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:51 am

I only watched the android 13 movie a couple of times when I was like 15 years old, so excuseme but I don't recall that specific moment. It is very interesting for me now to watch the latino spanish version and figure out what he says on that Part. I don't know any reliable place to watch DBZ movie in spanish but if I find the opportunity I will certainly take a deep look into that.

I have asked to myself that question before. If they are ever going to make one of the DBZ main characters come out of the closet. I don't think so, but I have thought about it. In mexico they always make fun of cute men and call them gay (at least my generations as I was growing up, maybe times changed now) so they always called Trunks gay just cause he is pretty and had long hair or tha cute hairstyle. When they dressed him up on GT it only made things worse :lol:

The whole MaixTrunks thing I don't buy it. But I ship him with Pan (once she over 18 and since saiyans don't age at the same rate he would not be an old man for her)

Which ones are the gay characters in DB?
Captain Blue? Bulma mentions he could be an homosexual cause he rejected her and later on we can see him preying on a boy.
But besides him? The fighter in DBZ Mahin Buu Saga which is dressed as a guy from the village people
What about lesbians?

MrGohanks
Temporarily Banned

Post by MrGohanks » Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:05 pm

SorikaiWolf89 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:59 am Specifically at the beginning of Super Android 13 when Trunks is waiting for the fashion show to begin Krillin scolds Roshi and Oolong for their perverse and childish behavior saying in the Japanese dialogue that “They will corrupt Trunks” with Trunks saying while blushing , “Well, actually…”

He never finished that sentence so I’m very curious as to what he was going to say
Was he going to reveal his sexual orientation implying that he’s gay/not interested in women, or maybe that he’s asexual?

In the dub he responds saying ,
“Don’t worry about me guys.”
Which I kinda took as a loose implication that maybe he’s not interested in women or at least not in the same way as Roshi and Oolong which implies that he’s also pure hearted

I mean he’s been shown multiple times to obviously be very shy and embarrassed when it comes to flirtatious behavior, mentions of romance, and scantily clad women for example blushing every time these situations happen around him but has never shown any interest in any romantic relationship until Super with Mai but that’s considered to not be true canon by Toriyama

(DB Super Trunks is a whole different topic in itself so I’m specifically talking about DBZ Future Trunks)

Anyway , I don’t think DBZ Future Trunks is QUITE gay though but a combination of simply being shy around women who flirt with him (similar to how Yamcha used to be but of course obviously less extreme) and a combo of being uninterested in a romantic relationship
So maybe he’s just asexual?
Or just simply the type to wait for the right person to come to him which is probably the most likely
You are reading WAY too much into this lol, and its a dub line anyway.

Also, the only Z-Fighters that could ever possibly be considered not straight are Tien (who's basically asexual and turned down Launch) and Chaozu (who seems REALLY attached to Tien lol).

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:48 pm

Has he ever actually been shown having affection for another man? The only person we see him show any sort of "love" for is Mai (a woman), so at the very least he is not homo or aro-ace. We can think of different theories, but all that's speculation.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:52 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:48 pm Has he ever actually been shown having affection for another man? The only person we see him show any sort of "love" for is Mai (a woman), so at the very least he is not homo or aro-ace. We can think of different theories, but all that's speculation.
The relationship with Mai confirms he's at least attracted to women, yeah.

And Dragon Ball isn't exactly the kind of show that deals with nuance and grey areas in sexuality so its a probably a safe indicator that he's written to be straight.

SorikaiWolf89
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SorikaiWolf89 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:33 pm

Saiya6Cit wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:51 am I only watched the android 13 movie a couple of times when I was like 15 years old, so excuseme but I don't recall that specific moment.
I’ve only just recently rewatched it for the first time in like at least 10 years myself so when I finally rewatched it as an adult those lines made me curious as I didn’t remember them

It’s at the VERY beginning in like the first 2-3 minutes the lines I’m referring to

SorikaiWolf89
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SorikaiWolf89 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:54 pm

The whole MaixTrunks thing I don't buy it. But I ship him with Pan (once she over 18 and since saiyans don't age at the same rate he would not be an old man for her)

What about lesbians?
[/quote]

Yeah , Mai x Trunks really did come out of nowhere I thought the same thing and am not that big a fan of it since I don’t really see that much chemistry between them

Maybe if we saw how they met and became companions then I might ship it but I don’t see them being an actual couple with getting married and having kids

I can’t at all imagine Trunks as a dad that’s just too weird to me plus there’s a reason he’s still a virgin at about 30 bc he’s much too shy to have a sexual relationship with anyone or maybe bc he’s just not interested in sex or having kids aka asexual
If he DID have a kid though it would totally be a daughter as I can see him spoiling her much like Gohan spoils Pan

Anyway I think Mai x Trunks happened bc the writers finally realized that Trunks never got together with anyone so maybe they randomly put her with him just to prove that he wasn’t gay or something

As far as lesbians go in the series the only ones I can think of possibly being lesbians are Kale and Caulifla
Maybe tomboy Lunch too when she’s drunk

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:59 pm

Future Trunks is almost certainly straight but he probably never got attached to another woman enough to wife them up. At most, he just fucks a random female to release stress.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

SorikaiWolf89
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SorikaiWolf89 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:21 pm

But I ship him with Pan (once she over 18 and since saiyans don't age at the same rate he would not be an old man for her)

I never was a fan of Pan x Trunks bc the age gap is about 20 years apart
That’s WAY too big a gap for my tastes

In GT Trunks is in his early 30s and Pan is only 10 so that would make Trunks a pedo plus she’s more like a neice or little sister to him as he’s basically her guardian for most of GT

Pan also refers to Trunks as her “best friend”
showing she has no romantic interest in him since he’s far too old for her

There are plenty of boys her age she probably met in school for example and she obviously got together with someone other than Trunks in A Hero’s Legacy as she had a grandson being Goku Jr.

Also , Trunks WOULD be an old man to her by the time Pan is 18 or in her 20s
He’d be in his mid to late 40s by then

Remember he’s only HALF Saiyan so he doesn’t quite have the “fountain of youth gene” like his dad , a full blooded Saiyan who ages at a much slower rate than humans

Trunks as a half Saiyan would probably LOOK much younger for his age when he’s middle to senior aged but that doesn’t mean his body would stop aging

He’d still physically be an old man but just with a body and face that looks and feels about 10-20 at most years younger whereas a full blooded Saiyan would have a body that’s about 20-30 years younger than their actual age if that makes any sense
Purely a guesstimate by the way I’m not entirely sure the exact pace at which Saiyans age

Ashur
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ashur » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:32 pm

I mean not being a sexual predator like Roshi and Oolong doesn't mean he likes guys.

I totally ship Present Trunks with Goten, tho, you cannot stop me, just look at them.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:49 pm

Ashur wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:32 pm I mean not being a sexual predator like Roshi and Oolong doesn't mean he likes guys.

I totally ship Present Trunks with Goten, tho, you cannot stop me, just look at them.

GT also hints that they're gay in the 2nd ending.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

SorikaiWolf89
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SorikaiWolf89 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:52 pm

You are reading WAY too much into this lol, and its a dub line anyway.

Haha yeah I know 😅
And true the dub lines and movie itself are technically not canon anyway but as a huge Trunks fangirl I was very curious by that line

SorikaiWolf89
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SorikaiWolf89 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:58 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:49 pm
Ashur wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:32 pm I mean not being a sexual predator like Roshi and Oolong doesn't mean he likes guys.

GT also hints that they're gay in the 2nd ending.

Yep , I completely ship those two as well they’re practically a canon couple by the end of Z for sure !
In fact I was thinking about starting a new topic soon about their relationship

Really ?? In the 2nd ending?
I don’t remember since it’s been ages that I’ve last seen GT
Were they shown sharing a sundae or something? I gotta rewatch that now lol