Why was the art/animation so good during the Great Saiyaman/Majin Boo arc?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Why was the art/animation so good during the Great Saiyaman/Majin Boo arc?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:52 pm

Say as you will about the arc but the series hadn't so consistently beautiful before and after. This is also worth noting it was fresh off the Cell arc which is pretty up and down in terms of quality. The Boo arc still had some rough scenes but there are so many instances of quality.

I think the inclusion of new, talented animation teams such as Studio Carpenter and K-Production into the episode cycle also helped.

Of course, Studio Live and Last House were still the weak links but Live seemed to adapted to Toriyama's evolving style better and Uchiyama showed improvement as a key animator.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

desu
Beyond Newbie

Re: Why was the art/animation so good during the Great Saiyaman/Majin Boo arc?

Post by desu » Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:42 pm

I would say it's indeed the improvement in animation cycle, but also that Uchiyama didn't get to do as many important episodes as in the Frieza and Cell arcs. Uchiyama's supervision however seemed to get more on the way of other animators as the saga went on (and with this I mean he did more corrections).
Studio Live however improved quite a lot, especially Yukio Ebisawa at least pulled off good drawings more consistently, triangle jaws are long gone at least.