Future Trunks’ Swordsmanship Skills and Techniques

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SorikaiWolf89
Not-So-Newbie

Future Trunks’ Swordsmanship Skills and Techniques

Post by SorikaiWolf89 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:08 am

I’m curious to know how Trunks learned his swordsmanship skills and techniques
And I know the obvious answer is that he trained and practiced them by himself since he didn’t have Gohan as a sparring partner anymore during the 3 year time skip after his death

How did he learn the Burning Attack for example? Is it simply his version of the Masenko maybe or is it a special technique he invented entirely on his own which is probably more likely

Also why the decision to take up wielding a sword in the first place when it was obviously not effective on the Androids especially when he seemed to be somewhat inexperienced with it when he fought them in Bridgetown?

Perhaps it was his first fight against them using it or any opponent for that matter as he had no one to practice with

As for why he took up wielding a sword maybe it’s bc he felt he wasn’t physically strong enough to rely on his power alone even as a Super Saiyan so he felt the need to use a weapon instead and invent the Burning Attack

In Super when he’s asked why he chose to wield a sword again he simply said that it makes him “feel at ease/comfortable” as he’s used to having it as his fighting style/weapon of choice
So maybe THAT was the conclusion he came up with when he initially decided to take up swordsmanship

Speaking of the Burning Attack honestly as a special technique it isn’t that impressive in my opinion just very flashy with all the fast arm movements then it’s literally just a mini Big Bang Attack ball of energy

Then again it’s only used/seen twice in the entirety of the series , once against Frieza to surprise him and against the Androids in Bridgetown so maybe it has more potential to it to be more than just a surprise attack but to be more like the Big Bang Attack if Trunks improved upon it

Lastly for his Shining Sword attack (as it’s called in the video games) did he come up with that technique right on the spot when he killed Frieza or did he already invent and practice it during the 3 year future timeline skip?

My guess is he most likely came up with it on the spot to completely annihilate Frieza once and for all as it seemed to be very improvised and situation specific especially with his finishing blast to disintegrate the remaining sliced and diced pieces of him

Jord
Advanced Regular

Re: Future Trunks’ Swordsmanship Skills and Techniques

Post by Jord » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:38 am

Always thought it was a bummer how fast Trunks' sword became useless. The sword made him stand out and could be used to develop an unique fighting style instead of generic KI blasts.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:26 am

Jord wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:38 am Always thought it was a bummer how fast Trunks' sword became useless. The sword made him stand out and could be used to develop an unique fighting style instead of generic KI blasts.
Honestly, as much as how contrived and nonsensical the “Spirit Sword” in the Zamasu arc was, at least it was sort of unique and looked cool.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:59 am

He seemed really proficient. Wish he got to use it more.

The franchise needs more weapon-based fighters.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

SorikaiWolf89
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SorikaiWolf89 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:34 pm

Jord wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:38 am Always thought it was a bummer how fast Trunks' sword became useless. The sword made him stand out and could be used to develop an unique fighting style instead of generic KI blasts.
Yeah totally agree the only time it was actually useful was when he killed Frieza with it other than that it became completely useless against every antagonist he used it on after that

It broke on Android 18’s arm and it broke again on Super Android 13 of you count that too

Plus he even got stabbed/skewered on his own sword by Android 17 in Goku’s nightmare showing that his sword can be used against him if his opponent is stronger than him so that’s a major weakness there for sure
It’s too easy for a faster and stronger opponent with a sharp eye and reflexes to catch

Still though like you said if he trained to get past that weakness with his sword than he could definitely get major skill and technique growth with it

However after it broke he pretty much gave up on it to make his body and fighting skills stronger instead until he finally decides to take up the swordsmanship fighting style again Super as he most likely stopped training and grew weaker again bc of the peaceful times after he killed Cell well at least until Future Majin Buu showed up but he dispatched of him quite easily as DBS Future Trunks mentioned

SorikaiWolf89
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SorikaiWolf89 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:36 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:26 am
Honestly, as much as how contrived and nonsensical the “Spirit Sword” in the Zamasu arc was, at least it was sort of unique and looked cool.
Yeah I don’t think it made any sense either as it was pretty much a butt pull power up made by the writers
But hey at least it finally made Trunks’ sword useful and badass again so that’s a plus in my book

SorikaiWolf89
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SorikaiWolf89 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:44 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:59 am He seemed really proficient. Wish he got to use it more.

Absolutely! He was actually an extremely accomplished and talented swordsman when he was at his peak in wielding it when he fought Frieza

And yes there needs to be more weapon wielding fighters for sure I feel like there’s so much potential that one can add to the techniques and Ki blasts with a weapon like a sword or a power pole like the one Goku used for example

You can literally count the number of weapon wielding fighters on two hands at most:

Trunks , Tapion , Yajarobe, Bandit Yamcha, Power Pole Goku,
that one guy from the Bojack movie, that one ninja guy from DB , and that’s about it as far as I remember

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:31 pm

He chose to use it because it was strong enough to cut Hirudegan in half, and also it belonged to his big brother Tapion. Lol.
Probably because he knew that with his fists alone he stood no chance against the androids. I guess he thought he would have a better shot with a weapon, and that the androids weren’t that far off and that the gap could be closed with it.

I’m wondering if it could’ve been useful to stop 2nd form Cell from absorbing 18, or if it would’ve made a difference vs Perfect Cell, it’s one thing to avoid a punch and another thing to avoid a sword as well. But probably not, besides he probably would be using both hands, even though he shouldn't.
Maybe against the Cell Jrs it would’ve been helpful?

It’s sucks that it got forgotten, because it’s effectiveness depends on the strenght of the user, and set Trunks apart.

Anonymous Friend

Post by Anonymous Friend » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:59 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:59 am He seemed really proficient. Wish he got to use it more.

How?

At best he knew how to cut where he wanted to cut. And he was able to cut through Freeza. Unsure if was his own strength or the sharpness of the sword. He wasn't able to cut through the Goku's finger or the androids, though. And that where the where the downsides of "weapons" lie. You have to reinforce them with enough ki to do things with them, when you could just do the attack with your own body.

Seeing stuff in action was really, really cool though.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:39 pm

Anonymous Friend wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:59 pm

How?

At best he knew how to cut where he wanted to cut. And he was able to cut through Freeza. Unsure if was his own strength or the sharpness of the sword. He wasn't able to cut through the Goku's finger or the androids, though. And that where the where the downsides of "weapons" lie. You have to reinforce them with enough ki to do things with them, when you could just do the attack with your own body.

Bruh, he was literally catching the sword with just the case.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

SorikaiWolf89
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SorikaiWolf89 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:21 am

Probably because he knew that with his fists alone he stood no chance against the androids. I guess he thought he would have a better shot with a weapon, and that the androids weren’t that far off and that the gap could be closed with it.

I’m wondering if it could’ve been useful to stop 2nd form Cell from absorbing 18, or if it would’ve made a difference vs Perfect Cell, it’s one thing to avoid a punch and another thing to avoid a sword as well. But probably not, besides he probably would be using both hands, even though he shouldn't.
Maybe against the Cell Jrs it would’ve been helpful?

It’s sucks that it got forgotten, because it’s effectiveness depends on the strenght of the user, and set Trunks apart.
[/quote]

Yeah I’m pretty sure that’s why he chose to use a sword as well maybe to make his fights more unpredictable I guess ?
But ironically it made his fights MORE predictable for the Androids both in the future and present bc it’s very hard to hide how you’re going to swing a sword unless you swing it fast enough like lightning speed

As for Cell and the Cell Jrs I don’t think it would’ve done anything given that it was useless against present day Android 18 as it easily broke on her arm from blocking it

And yeah it’s definitely a shame that canonically Trunks never used the sword again after it broke during that fight

I mean if he wanted to he could’ve gotten it repaired and used it to kill future Imperfect Cell but by then he was strong enough to rely solely on his own might instead of a weapon’s

Anyway after the Android 18 fight with Vegeta he pretty much gave up on fighting with a sword to train his mind and body instead in the hyperbolic time chamber and eventually grew strong enough that he felt a sword was unnecessary

But yeah I wanted him to keep using the sword too !
There was so much potential he could’ve had with it , it made his fighting style unique among the Z fighters, and it was just plain badass!

Sadly though Super is technically considered not canon by Toriyama but hey at least we got to finally see the sword be used and actually kill a villain again so that’s a plus.

Anonymous Friend

Post by Anonymous Friend » Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:32 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:39 pm
Anonymous Friend wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:59 pm

How?

Bruh, he was literally catching the sword with just the case.
Bruh, anyone can learn to joggle.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

SorikaiWolf89
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SorikaiWolf89 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:45 pm

He wasn't able to cut through the Goku's finger

Trunks was only testing Goku’s strength not trying to actually cut or kill him so he was most likely holding back his true power (Goku himself said that he felt no killing intent from him) as Goku powered up his finger with an extra layer of defense to withstand his slashes otherwise the blade WOULD cut him hence why Goku protected his index finger in the first place