If the Z Fighters lived normal lives

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Adamant
I Live Here

Re: If the Z Fighters lived normal lives

Post by Adamant » Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:47 pm

If nothing else, this thread is at least demonstrating why it's a good idea to actually watch/read the series you're trying to discuss.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:04 pm

dva_raza wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:31 am What’s the underlying motive for “self improvement and testing one’s own skills”? That is literally what I asked.
I don't know what answer you're asking for here. It's satisfying for themselves to see the progression, they enjoy the act of fighting like someone might enjoy dancing, and they constantly train with or without the presence of a threat. Sometimes they prepare for a threat they know about in advance, and that can definitely be additionally motivating, but it's not the driving force behind what they do. It's circumstantial, like how sometimes they'll train for an upcoming tournament. They vocalise sometimes that it's good to stay in shape in case another strong bad guy appears, but if Goku and Vegeta knew for a fact the universe would never be in danger again, they would still train as much as they can if given the choice.
dva_raza wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:35 pm The only times I saw them actually motivated to improve was to prepare for the Saiyans arrival and then for the Androids arrival. That kinda suggests they consider their power a responsability as much as they also like doing it.
Goku made arguably his biggest improvements in the series when he trained for 7 years in the afterlife, assuming he was going to be staying dead for eternity. What other motivation do you think he had?

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:18 pm

Don't most of them already have jobs?

Super shows Krillin as a police officer, 17 as a park ranger, Tien running a dojo, Yamcha as a professional baseball player. Gohan seems to be involved in academia as a researcher.

And Goku & Chi Chi seem to be radish farmers as shown in Yo! Son Goku and his friends return and Goku using a tractor in Super.

I imagine if Vegeta didn't have Bulma, he would be bouncing between odd jobs constantly. Like security. And Piccolo could be a limo driver or nanny if he didn't live off the grid lol.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:54 pm

dva_raza wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:31 am
What’s the underlying motive for “self improvement and testing one’s own skills”? That is literally what I asked.
They want to get better at something they enjoy doing?
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:17 pm

It is an interesting subject.

Yamcha as far as I know left baseball because he was considered too strong/agressive from other players point of view, we see some of that in DB. It is also mentioned he would get too much attention from girls so they simply did not want him around and I think Puar mentions in mexican dub that he got into a fight and expelled from baseball for good, but my memories could be blurry being honest...

"There are 'outcasts' in the DB universe, beings and creatures that cannot apply to a normal routine. People have jobs as they have needs (do *you* pay your own bills?), but some of DB characters doesn't need money"

True. That's why I did not agree much with krilling working as a Police officer in DBS becuause I don't think they needed the money. Since they got together they did not pay any rent living at the kame house and Krillin would hunt and stuff to provide food. Then I suppose since A18 did want to have her daughter growing up next to Roshi she work out to get the millions at the Tenkaichi Budokai. In GT they have fancy rich people clothes, so yeah, they did not need to work at all.

By reading on people's opinion that a mother can't be anything else than that I suppose they have not heared about part time jobs or they don't know many women period. Videl is shown helping with the Tako in GT so I am sure she would be a support for some of Gohan's research and possibly even Bulma at capsule Corp, how else would she know about it? https://www.deviantart.com/saiya6cit/ar ... -894060141

I support the idea of having A18 as a part time model since she was very much into cloths and she is gorgeus.

The closest thing Vegeta would have as a job would be being Bulma's bodygaurd and also Bura's as seen in GT :lol:

I think Chichi is both a teacher and a nurse plus a housemaid and a cook.

Uulong was rich and Yajirobee crashed at Karin's place.

Goten should be working by the time of GT...

can't think of anyone else

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:49 am

Koitsukai wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:11 pm I guess nowadays you can't even imply stuff, you have to spell it out entirely, or people won't get it:
Just because...THEY WANT TO GET STRONGER.
Koitsukai wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:03 am They do get stronger just because.
You okay bud?..
What did you previously “imply” that you now had to "spell out entirely”?
Look like the exact same phrase to me.
And I made a response exactly to that. If you disagree/ didn’t get it, you can move along instead of yelling the same thing I think.

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:42 pm I'm sorry you're still not getting it but it's not that deep. It's Dragon Ball.
I’m still not very clear about what it is you think I’m “not getting”.

As mentioned thrice now, I am aware that the Z fighters are competitive martial artists and the MC is a fighting junkie, you believing I’m oblivious to these basic facts is outright bizarre.

And there’s nothing “that deep” about what I argued really..I just questioned your shot down of the OP because I thought that maybe after experiencing protecting others, this might’ve become a motivator for them to a degree. That’s it.

You can disagree with that notion but (I don’t think) there’s anything explicitly confirming that they DIDN’T get a desire to use their powers for a good cause. Which is the only thing I suggested (as seen in the 90% that you conveniently omitted from my post).

Goku's call to action to leave his home in the mountains was Bulma telling him he could see the world and get stronger. Getting stronger for the sake of getting stronger is his literal motivation and I'm not sure why you're not getting it other than skipping the first third of the series.
Goku’s main drive to fight being the challenge of it is made abundantly clear in Z and Super, PLEASE believe me.

I'm sorry you don't like that it comes down to stronger for the sake of getting stronger but that is what it actually is
Wtf are you talking about masenko? 😄

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:29 am

Jack Bz wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:04 pm I don't know what answer you're asking for here.
Well did you read or did you just skim and took random phrases out of context?
Cause if you did read all I don’t know what could be unclear about it being just a rhetorical question that I asked to make the points mentioned:
My point was after the larger scale threats became a thing in Z, that passion now got a motivation and I still don’t see why it wouldn’t be.
Vegeta telling Jiren “you don’t know what it is to fight to protect” directly implies that he now thinks there's an importance in having a reason for fighting other than for your own self, which means he changed his stance.

Jack Bz wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:04 pm Goku made arguably his biggest improvements in the series when he trained for 7 years in the afterlife, assuming he was going to be staying dead for eternity. What other motivation do you think he had?
Goku didn’t even cross my mind. I was talking bout the rest of the Z fighters and assumed it would be obvious.

I know protecting people is just a byproduct of them being strong, not their job or something. I was only saying that I can’t affirm it hasn’t become a motivation for some of them when there are suggestions of the opposite:

- What I said about Vegeta.
- Krillin mentioned to be no longer fighting when he meets Goku in the Buu Arc means he doesn’t have motivation to train if it’s not for something.
- Yamcha, Trunks, Goten and Gohan don’t seem to ever train unless it’s for a cause.
- Piccolo I haven’t seen the new film but isn’t he most of time shown training others instead of himself? Seems like he’s more motivated to use what he has to help the ones with the greater potential that can actually help against world threatening opponents than to self improve.

Adamant wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:47 pm If nothing else, this thread is at least demonstrating why it's a good idea to actually watch/read the series you're trying to discuss.
Would you point to me where I said anything that confirmed ignorance of something that’s exclusive to the OG?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:32 am

dva_raza wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:49 am

I’m still not very clear about what it is you think I’m “not getting”.
What’s the underlying motive for “self improvement and testing one’s own skills”?

..I just questioned your shot down of the OP because I thought that maybe after experiencing protecting others, this might’ve become a motivator for them to a degree. That’s it.
OP ask the question "What if the Z fighters weren't obligated to train to protect the earth" . They would still train even if there was no obligation. Tenshinhan was training when we were reintroduced to him in Z. Yamucha was annoyed he had to play baseball to pay his bills when he'd rather be fighting.All the training the characters were doing pre-Daimao.

They are not training out of obligation.

You can disagree with that notion but (I don’t think) there’s anything explicitly confirming that they DIDN’T get a desire to use their powers for a good cause.).

>They shoot down Bulma's proposal to even prevent the cyborgs from existing because they want to test their skills as martial artist. There's your explicit confirmation that its not really a desire for a good cause. In a series you actually watched!

dva_raza wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:29 am
Would you point to me where I said anything that confirmed ignorance of something that’s exclusive to the OG?
The part where you're utterly befuddled by the concept of the characters training for self improvement for the sake of it.

Not that it's exclusive to the first series but you're missing a bunch of context skipping right to when the series kept doing the evil invading force threatens the earth over and over.
Last edited by MasenkoHA on Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:51 am

That, and when the person that seems to struggle the most with understanding the characters is also the person that skipped huge parts of the story, it's pretty logical to see a connection there.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:21 am

Yeah, no point keep it going when there's such a big misunderstanding of the characters.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:10 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:32 am
..I just questioned your shot down of the OP because I thought that maybe after experiencing protecting others, this might’ve become a motivator for them to a degree. That’s it.
OP ask the question "What if the Z fighters weren't obligated to train to protect the earth" . They would still train even if there was no obligation. Tenshinhan was training when we were reintroduced to him in Z. Yamucha was annoyed he had to play baseball to pay his bills when he'd rather be fighting.All the training the characters were doing pre-Daimao.

They are not training out of obligation.
Okay? But that’s not what I responded to. I specifically questioned you saying that protecting earth is not part of their motivation.
The suggestion of them being partly motivated by a sense of responsibility doesn’t mean it’s their obligation. They’re different things.

>They shoot down Bulma's proposal to even prevent the cyborgs from existing because they want to test their skills as martial artist. There's your explicit confirmation that its not really a desire for a good cause. In a series you actually watched!
Eh no , that's not a confirmation of what I asked and I'd responded to that already;
they didn’t want to lose the opportunity to do what they like for the sake of precaution. I don't see why that has to mean a sense of responsibility wouldn't awaken from those experiences and become the motivator factor after all this time.

.. Vegeta sure made it seem that way when he said he sees the importance in fighting for other people. (Which is essentially what I said, not that they are the Justice League of Japan as you’ve tried to make it out to be).
You just didn’t address that notion cause you’re too busy looking for a reason to rub the OG thing in my face.
What I listed about the characters is what makes it seem like apart from Goku and Tenshinhan they aren't that interested in training when there’s peace, after Cell especially. Do you have something to debunk from that?

Adamant wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:51 am That, and when the person that seems to struggle the most with understanding the characters is also the person that skipped huge parts of the story, it's pretty logical to see a connection there.
There is no “that”, given that you didn’t mention anything exclusive to the first series, which is what I asked.

So no reason for you to assert whatever interpretation I have is due to skipping it. But also this judgment is especially hollow when you said the exact same thing about “getting the characters wrong” to the OP. Who, I BET did watch the OG.

Maaaybe it can just be that people have different view on things without it having to mean ignorance of some (very obvious common knowledge) “context” you believe is being missed?