If the Z Fighters lived normal lives

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SorikaiWolf89
Not-So-Newbie

If the Z Fighters lived normal lives

Post by SorikaiWolf89 » Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:57 pm

If they didn’t have to be obligated to train and fight to protect the Earth what would you imagine them doing either with hobbies or a job?

We’ve seen that they of course have hobbies besides training/fighting in the series (well at least MOST of them) but would you see them continuing those hobbies/jobs or maybe doing something else if they didn’t have to save the world constantly?

From what we see/know of their hobbies this is what each one of them is shown to do in their spare time or as a job:

Gohan : Scholar

Yamcha : Professional Baseball Player

Goku : Farmer

Krillin: Police Patrolman

Tien: Head of a dojo

Chiaotzu: Likes to cook

Trunks: President of Capsule Corporation

So that leaves Piccolo, Vegeta , and 18 if you count her as a Z Fighter

I can imagine maybe seeing Piccolo being a Fisherman for a secluded mountain village since he spends all his time in the mountains

For 18 definitely being a Supermodel as she could try on all the fashion she wants if she doesn’t mind all the attention from people/fans or critique from judges/managers or heck maybe she would BE the manager/CEO of a fashion business which I can actually see being more likely as she DOES have a judging and bossy personality

As for Vegeta that’s the hardest guess by far as he has little to no interest in “Earthling” hobbies/jobs
I’m literally drawing a blank on what he would do…maybe be the CEO of a gym for professional athletes as he could boss them around as much as he wants and constantly push them to their breaking points.

Any ideas?

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Re: If the Z Fighters lived normal lives

Post by ChronoTwigger » Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:26 pm

There are 'outcasts' in the DB universe, beings and creatures that cannot apply to a normal routine. People have jobs as they have needs (do *you* pay your own bills?), but some of DB characters doesn't need money.

Vegeta is mantained by Bulma, that's filthy rich (probably the richest girl in that world), so no need to do anything. He'll probably troll on social media, do some exercise, throw darts at a Goku picture and whatever. Very boring life.
That's the whole urge of fighting someone: to have some time.

Piccolo is probably spending time writing, meditating, who knows what Namekian do to feel satisfied. He doesn't need to bargain his fishes with people. To me, he could be an exceptional ghost writer (wanna some gag? ROMANCE ghost writer...)

18 is a mum! She can't be a top model and the serie hint she's all about homeworks.

Yeah, they are boring. That's why they live adventures.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

SorikaiWolf89
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SorikaiWolf89 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:02 pm

Vegeta is mantained by Bulma, that's filthy rich (probably the richest girl in that world), so no need to do anything. He'll probably troll on social media, do some exercise, throw darts at a Goku picture and whatever. Very boring life.
That's the whole urge of fighting someone: to have some time.

18 is a mum! She can't be a top model and the serie hint she's all about homeworks.

True about Vegeta that he’d have no need for money as his wife and her family are one of the richest families on the planet besides Mr Satan and a couple more random billionaires
But he’d still probably want SOME hobbies in the times of peace when he doesn’t train or fight especially in the 7 year time skip and even more so in the 10 year time skip at the end of Z

And 18 could totally get a job if she really wanted to as all the clothes she wants obviously cost money plus she can’t go on snitching Mr Satan for money forever along with the tournaments as they are too infrequent and Krillin doesn’t exactly have a paid job until Super as far as we know

In GT she’s seen wearing business like suits/pants so she probably DID finally get a job bc SOMEONE in their family has to work especially since 18 and Krillin now have a daughter to care for so she became the breadwinner of the family most likely with Krillin maybe being a stay at home dad to care for Maron

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:30 pm

They don't train to protect the earth though. That's not their motivating factor.

SorikaiWolf89
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SorikaiWolf89 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:10 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:30 pm They don't train to protect the earth though. That's not their motivating factor.
True they also train for personal growth/strength like Piccolo, Tien, and Vegeta or sometimes just for the fun of it like for a tournament like when Gohan sparred with Goten and taught Videl how to fly or a combination of both like Goku but they train the most and hardest of course to become stronger and faster for when a serious threat to the Earth or their friends/families arises

Protecting the Earth is not the main motivator for training I agree but as they are strong enough to defend the weak and innocent as “with great power comes great responsibility” the most good hearted and most capable of them (depending on the threat) feel like they are obligated to protect their home, their families, friends, and the planet in which they live on including protecting the rest of the inhabitants on the planet

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:59 pm

Is there any reason what we see them actually doing in their downtime is not enough?
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:57 pm

SorikaiWolf89 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:10 am Protecting the Earth is not the main motivator for training I agree but as they are strong enough to defend the weak and innocent as “with great power comes great responsibility” the most good hearted and most capable of them (depending on the threat) feel like they are obligated to protect their home, their families, friends, and the planet in which they live on including protecting the rest of the inhabitants on the planet
Nnno, you really got the characters all wrong. They train for the purpose of self improvement and/or pride, not out of any obligation to protect anything or anyone. They're not superheroes. If they didn't have any external "reason" to train, they'd still be training for the purpose of training itself.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

SorikaiWolf89
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SorikaiWolf89 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:00 pm

Adamant wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:57 pm
SorikaiWolf89 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:10 am Protecting the Earth is not the main motivator for training I agree but as they are strong enough to defend the weak and innocent as “with great power comes great responsibility” the most good hearted and most capable of them (depending on the threat) feel like they are obligated to protect their home, their families, friends, and the planet in which they live on including protecting the rest of the inhabitants on the planet
Nnno, you really got the characters all wrong. They train for the purpose of self improvement and/or pride,

Did you not read the rest of my post?
I already mentioned that their main purpose of training is for self improvement or for the fun of it

,not out of obligation to protect anyone or anything

Sounds like you’re referring to Vegeta here

And I’m saying IF a threat arises they won’t just let the threat destroy their planet , it’s inhabitants, or their loved ones by not training to defeat it

Like I said the “most good hearted and capable of them” meaning Goku , Gohan , Krillin, Tien, Trunks , and Piccolo would feel the most responsible for dealing with a serious threat when it arises meaning that if the threat is stronger than them that they will have to obviously become more powerful themselves by training

How about when they trained for 3 years straight to prepare for the arrival of the androids as warned by Trunks?

Or when they had to train inside the Time Chamber so they could become strong enough to combat/defeat Cell before he got too powerful for them to handle?

They're not superheroes.

Not all super heroes have to wear capes and dress up like Great Saiyaman for example to be “super heroes”
The Z Fighters all have superhuman strength, speed, agility, flight , techniques, etc.
and they use their superhuman powers/abilities to save people in need when ordinary humans are powerless to overcome a serious threat to them and their planet
Now its that’s not a superhero I don’t know what is

If they didn't have any external "reason" to train, they'd still be training for the purpose of training itself.

Again already mentioned this

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:33 pm

Anonymous Friend wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:59 pm Is there any reason what we see them actually doing in their downtime is not enough?
Nobody said anything about what we see "not being enough". The OP question was simply "what do you imagine the characters would do if they didn't focus their lives on training".

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:30 pm They don't train to protect the earth though. That's not their motivating factor.
Then what is? Because I thought the underlying reason for improving was to put that to use. They just be training to “get stronger” for no reason?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:49 am

dva_raza wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:33 pm They just be training to “get stronger” for no reason?
Yes.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:03 am

They do get stronger just because. Goku wasn't training to defend the afterlife, neither were Krilin and Yamcha in those Buu arc filler scenes.

Goku: he doesn’t like to farm, that’s boring to him, but he does like to eat, so I think he could be a food critic, or maybe become a chef.

Piccolo: could be a bouncer, or security detail for some high profile figure. He could also be an actor in sci fi productions, considering he is green and tall, no need to hire a human and spend 5 hours applying make up on them. But I can see him moving to the mountains and becoming a monk, he loves to meditate and be alone and bored.

Vegeta: A warlord. A druglord or a mafia boss. Basically, being a saiyan King but on Earth. That would be for Z Vegeta. Current Vegeta would be a full time father, helping Bra with her homework, he already postponed training for the ToP because of Bulma’s pregnancy.

Goten and Trunks: they get into movies. Our Ben Affleck and Matt Damon. They have enough material and resources to produce some blockbusters.

#18: MMA fighter or pro boxer. But fighting men.

Tenshinhan: Youtuber, he gives work out tips. How to get deltoids bigger than your car in just one day.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:35 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:49 am
dva_raza wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:33 pm They just be training to “get stronger” for no reason?
Yes.
The only times I saw them actually motivated to improve was to prepare for the Saiyans arrival and then for the Androids arrival. That kinda suggests they consider their power a responsability as much as they also like doing it.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:57 pm

dva_raza wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:35 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:49 am
Yes.
The only times I saw them actually motivated to improve was to prepare for the Saiyans arrival and then for the Androids arrival. That kinda suggests they consider their power a responsability as much as they also like doing it.
Tenshinhan was training to surpass Goku before he even knew of the Saiyans. Kuririn likely was doing some training before that since he was stronger than Roshi by the time Bulma read their battle powers. Roshi was surprised Goku had gotten stronger since he last saw him, because he assumed Goku would have stopped training after he had gotten married and had a kid on top of the earth being at peace for 5 years.

Yamucha was frustrated he had to spend time playing professional baseball to pay the bills when he'd rather be fighting.

All the Saiyan invasion did was escalate things so Kami would invite the Dragon Team warriors to train at the lookout. Likewise, Future Trunks' warning of the cyborgs was just an incentive to train harder. They outright dismissed Bulma's suggestion of stopping Gero before he could build the cyborgs, because testing their own strength was actually a priority over protecting the earth.

And then again in the 7 year gap between Cell and Buu we had Vegeta training and making Trunks train with him. The only reason for that was to get stronger.

To say nothing of the original Dragon Ball (damm its almost like people shouldn't skip the first third of the show for proper context) where evil force beyond comprehensible strengh trying to conquer the earth wasn't even a thing for the first 101 episodes and characters were still training to get stronger and improve.

They're martial artist not the Justice League of Japan.
Last edited by MasenkoHA on Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:45 pm

dva_raza wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:33 pm
Anonymous Friend wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:59 pm Is there any reason what we see them actually doing in their downtime is not enough?
Nobody said anything about what we see "not being enough". The OP question was simply "what do you imagine the characters would do if they didn't focus their lives on training".

Then what is? Because I thought the underlying reason for improving was to put that to use. They just be training to “get stronger” for no reason?
Yes, that's Gokus entire modus operandi per Vegeta. Training to improve himself because he likes fighting. We're talking about a guy who was most concerned about the rules of the tournament and fair fights against a guy trying to murder him and his friends (but that happened before the Saiyan saga so you probably never knew that)

Picture an MMA fighter. He trains for the sport of it...but say, if some guy breaks into a store waving a knife around while he's there he'll also fuck him up and stop him cuz it's the right thing to do and he's capable of doing so. But that's not the reason why he trains. It just so happens that his passion makes him equipped for those situations that incite his morals.

The average person doesn't actively seek out situations to save people or even prepare for them. But if something comes up and they're equipped to help, they'll do it. That's the Z fighters.

Obviously any sane, non sociopathic person has a need to protect their loved one, - but that's not their primary reason for being unless that truly is their passion and something they pursue. Otherwise, it's implicit and it's their desires that inform their actions (unless of course, the needs get in the way).

The only character whose training is primarily motivated by obligation and will outright stop doing it when there's no immediate threat to his loved ones is Gohan, and that's because fighting isn't really his passion to begin with; he just so happened to be born with the inherent ability to do it.
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:57 pm
(damm its almost like people shouldn't skip the first third of the show for proper context)
And there you have it :P
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:36 pm

Well I literally asked the question considering I might be missing something, but no, you didn’t mention anything I didn’t know.
I’m obviously aware its a fighting show and that it has characters who are passionate about fighting and train in the OG lol. It's kinda basic info.

My point was after the larger scale threats became a thing in Z, that passion now got a motivation and I still don’t see why it wouldn’t be.

And no, by the way. Nobody does things “just because”. Even staring at the ceiling has an undelaying motive.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:52 pm

dva_raza wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:36 pm

And no, by the way. Nobody does things “just because”. Even staring at the ceiling has an undelaying motive.
I didn't say that, did I? People have any number of motivations behind their actions, and throwing obligation or altruism into all of them is reductive and naive.

Yes, the stakes of Z did give an extra objection to their training - but they still chose to engage in the threats to their family/friends/planet as martial artists and eschewed methods that would've more easily taken care of their problems, because that wouldn't give them the chance to test their power. Only when they were under the belief that they were absolutely fucked (IE Cell) did they act more like people driven by responsibility.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:58 pm

dva_raza wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:36 pm
My point was after the larger scale threats became a thing in Z, that passion now got a motivation and I still don’t see why it wouldn’t be.
But it didn't. Characters like Goku and Tenshinhan and Piccolo (and possibly Kuririn) were training before they even knew of the Saiyans existence. Vegeta was still training after Cell. Warnings of impending doom might lit a fire cracker up their ass but its not what motivates them. And again they treated the warning of the Androids as a call to test their owm strength not a threat that needed to be stopped to protect the earth. Bulma offered an easy out to protect the earth and they were like "Nah dawg"
Sure and the underlying motive for them is to get stronger. Self improvement and testing one's own skills and all that.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:31 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:52 pm I didn't say that, did I?
Koitsukai did.
People have any number of motivations behind their actions, and throwing obligation or altruism into all of them is reductive and naive.
? It seems Masenko and you assumed I’m injecting some cheezy superhero interpretation for whatever reason.. I was just viewing it in real life terms: you study a career you obviously have passion for and you already like doing it in practice, but you don’t get a substantial motivation until you experience the sense of putting that to use for something significant.

jjgp1112 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:52 pm they still chose to engage in the threats to their family/friends/planet as martial artists and eschewed methods that would've more easily taken care of their problems, because that wouldn't give them the chance to test their power.
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:58 pm And again they treated the warning of the Androids as a call to test their owm strength not a threat that needed to be stopped to protect the earth. Bulma offered an easy out to protect the earth and they were like "Nah dawg"
But I didn’t say their goal in training was to prevent threats. Yeah, they didn’t want to lose the opportunity to do what they like for the sake of precaution. I don't see why that has to mean a sense of responsibility wouldn't awaken from those experiences and become the motivator factor after all this time.

Vegeta telling Jiren “you don’t know what it is to fight to protect” directly implies that he now thinks there's an importance in having a reason for fighting other than for your own self, which means he changed his stance.

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:58 pm Sure and the underlying motive for them is to get stronger. Self improvement and testing one's own skills and all that.
What? No. The reason of something can’t be that same thing lolz

What’s the underlying motive for “self improvement and testing one’s own skills”? That is literally what I asked.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:11 pm

dva_raza wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:31 am
jjgp1112 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:52 pm I didn't say that, did I?
Koitsukai did.
I guess nowadays you can't even imply stuff, you have to spell it out entirely, or people won't get it: Just because... THEY WANT TO GET STRONGER.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:42 pm

dva_raza wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:31 am
What’s the underlying motive for “self improvement and testing one’s own skills”? That is literally what I asked.
I'm sorry you're still not getting it but it's not that deep. It's Dragon Ball.

Goku's call to action to leave his home in the mountains was Bulma telling him he could see the world and get stronger. Getting stronger for the sake of getting stronger is his literal motivation and I'm not sure why you're not getting it other than skipping the first third of the series.

Goku's reason for keeping Piccolo Jr alive (beyond pragmatism) is to fight a rival who will keep him on his toes. More importantly this is why he tells Krillin to spare Vegeta because he wants a rematch with the strongest opponent he's ever faced. Putting people and the planet at risk for the sake of fighting strong people and getting stronger himself is part of the character's core.

I'm sorry you don't like that it comes down to stronger for the sake of getting stronger but that is what it actually is