Remember when "Super Saiyan Rage" first premiered in Legacy of Goku II (GBA)?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Remember when "Super Saiyan Rage" first premiered in Legacy of Goku II (GBA)?

Post by Fionordequester » Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:16 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBO-ei9_-98

I remember when we were all brainstorming names for Trunk's new form, and I stole "Super Saiyan Rage" from this game. Imagine my shock when Toei actually went ahead and named it that :lol: !
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Re: Remember when "Super Saiyan Rage" first premiered in Legacy of Goku II (GBA)?

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:20 am

I mean it wasn't even named like that in the show. It's not even explained what it is. Everyone simply accepts that Trunks has this new asspull power-up form that makes him competitive with Goku Black/Fused Zamasu and everyone simply accepts that this form is generically connected to his """"""""rage"""""""" (like literally every Super Saiyan form).

The name "Ikari" aka "Rage" came from a videogame. It is never named in the show.

Btw it is also never explained why there is Blue aura in there. You can headcanon it by saying that he somehow absorbed some God ki while training with SSB Vegeta, except that's not how training works. You don't absorb someone's ki just because you train with them. What a mess of a form, clearly it exists just so Trunks has something to do in an arc named after him (in the manga he doesn't have this form, and indeed all he does is serve as a nurse for the actual main characters).

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Re: Remember when "Super Saiyan Rage" first premiered in Legacy of Goku II (GBA)?

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:26 am

The name made sense when only Gohan had the form.

The game released in 2003. I'm guessing the developers were just following the dub at the time, as the episode were Goku finally names it "Super Saiyan 2" probably didn't air in the US until they were well into development. Them watching the Cell Games and coming with "Super Saiyan Rage" makes perfect sense.