How do you Feel About the Pacing of each Show?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: How do you Feel About the Pacing of each Show?

Post by Cipher » Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:35 am

GT indeed has the best pacing of any of the anime series, which I want to say is because it’s the only one not adapting an ongoing manga series, but Super wasn’t either, so I’m not sure what happened there. (Many near production collapses, switches in directors, etc.)

The base story is good enough that portions of the original adaptations are enjoyable based on the strength of base content alone, while certain portions—the Namek arc is among my favorites in the manga, but I think it’s borderline unwatchable in Z—are not. Kai is more bearable on the pacing front, but it’s obvious you’re watching a makeshift edit, so it has drawbacks in (many) other ways.

GT is fine but otherwise you have to turn to manga for well-paced DB.

WKZ

Post by WKZ » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:37 pm

Dragon ball had good pacing most of the time, but at times, especially in the end, and during some of the final fights it can go very slow. In those episodes, like Goku vs Jr fight I would end up skipping even 10 minutes from episode.
Z had good beginning-mid point of the series, from episode one to about time when Ginyu force arrival I think it was good. I don't think I need to talk about Frieza fight, Android saga was alright, although it had it's moments(Gohan vs Cell for example) when it dipped slow. Buu saga is messy, it went from good, fast pace to painfully slow, and then once again to pretty servicable pace.
In Kai's case I think Saiyan saga was too fast. Namek saga was much better than Z's, especially after Ginyu force arrival. Android saga wasn't much different from Z, and Buu saga, honestly they didn't need to bother Final Chapters, since it felt the same like Z's, except slightly less filler.
GT was mostly fine.
Super was very inconsistant, movie retelling were painfully slow, Future Trunks was too fast, and then ToP was fine for most of the time, but if they cut down on the episode number it would end up being better. I felt like I was already burned like 20(if not more) episodes before finale.
Only 42 volumes are canon. Everything else is glorified fanfic.

WKZ

Post by WKZ » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:39 pm

The Accountant wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:19 pm But for someone watching it for the first time, it's really going to kill the intrigue.
Funny enough when I watched db for the first and second time I wasn't bothered by slowness, except of Frieza fight, and on the rewatch Gihan vs Cell. Recently I did rewatch and kften it was unbereable, as I said above sometimes I skipped half od the episode.
Now I'd just prefer to read series rather than to watch
Only 42 volumes are canon. Everything else is glorified fanfic.