Whose Voices Do You Hear When Reading the Manga?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dultimate02

Whose Voices Do You Hear When Reading the Manga?

Post by dultimate02 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:29 pm

I've been reading the Super manga lately and wonder, what voices people hear when they read it.? For me, I mainly hear the Modern day English cast. Schemmel, Sabat, those guys. However, there are a couple of moments where I'll hear the Japanese cast, usually when they say specific lines that I recognize like "Holy Crap"; I'll hear that as "shibata". Or classic lines like "Kamehama". Stuff like that. I would want to hear the Japanese cast the entire time but, it's very hard imagining any of the Japanese cast saying lines in English. Wondering how it is for everyone else.
aka Hile2002

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Re: Whose Voices Do You Hear When Reading the Manga?

Post by BeaBumby » Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:13 pm

Depends on who I last heard, really. Though I like to hear Kelamis and Drummond, respectively
Hiya! I'm Bea :]
she/her yknow

uhhh me icon was drawn by bestest friend ever! feel free to compliment their artistic prowess!

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:54 pm

I think I’ve gotten to the point where I mostly just hear the Japanese voices when it comes to most of the major characters. As someone who grew up on the FUNimation cast, that’s no small feat. Admittedly, that’s partly because I stopped paying attention to the English side of Dragon Ball. I watched the English dub of the Broly movie when I saw it in theaters, saw bits and pieces of the Super dub and tuned in to the Toonami broadcast of maybe two or three episodes, (side note, but I never thought I’d feel nostalgic for the period from 2017 through 2019), but generally, I don’t really care for the English dub anymore.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:41 pm

It's been a long time since I read the manga, but would hear the Funimation casts for the most part for the major characters. Though there was a time when I was reading over a decade ago would hear the Canadian casts from the first two seasons for characters when reading their dialogue particularly during the scenes in which those happened. Something of a similar note is when reading Batman comics from the later Golden Age through the Silver Age, I would hear Adam West or the guy from "Superfriends" for him, but Bronze Age onward, would hear Kevin Conroy. Joker was Hamill always though. So was hearing Ms. Vollmer's Bulma more last time I read the manga straight through rather than Ms. Rial. Incidental characters were here and there, but long time ago when DB was running on CN, would hear the comical accents and speaking styles of incidentals.

dultimate02

Post by dultimate02 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:02 am

WittyUsername wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:54 pm I think I’ve gotten to the point where I mostly just hear the Japanese voices when it comes to most of the major characters. As someone who grew up on the FUNimation cast, that’s no small feat. Admittedly, that’s partly because I stopped paying attention to the English side of Dragon Ball. I watched the English dub of the Broly movie when I saw it in theaters, saw bits and pieces of the Super dub and tuned in to the Toonami broadcast of maybe two or three episodes, (side note, but I never thought I’d feel nostalgic for the period from 2017 through 2019), but generally, I don’t really care for the English dub anymore.
That's interesting! I'm curious how you manage that. Do you hear Nozawa speaking English in a heavy Japanese accent as you read? :lol:
aka Hile2002

Wrigglything
Beyond Newbie

Post by Wrigglything » Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:54 am

For grunts it's usually a mix of the original Japanese and Crunchyoll cast, though usually bordering more on the former. As for when they talk, usually I hear the Funimation versions but occasionally hear the TFS voices too occasionally, especially if both the official and parody sound similar or if I'm more familiar with the latter.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:31 am

Usually, I'll either hear the pre-DB Kai Funimation VAs(the only era of the Funi dub I ever cared to watch) or I'll hear the Japanese VAs somehow speaking in perfect English. Sometimes, my brain will switch back and forth between regional voices in the same chapter or may even fuse them together a la Vegetto...which is kinda funny.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Asin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Asin » Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:41 am

I primarily hear the Funi/Crunchyroll cast, with a few exception voices coming from TFS, particularly Goku. This may be a tiny bit off topic, but when I saw Xeno Goku in the Heroes manga(s), my brain immediately gave him Sean Schemmel's voice, like some kind of dub Copy-Vegeta thing.

I also realize I hear a couple Funi voices in other manga I read, but that's a bit too off topic for this thread, I think. I may explain more in something like DMs if anybody's actually curious about what I'm talking about.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:58 am

Japanese. It helps I know some of the most used phrases for DB Characters, so I can imagine them being said, well.. in Japanese.
When Vegeta talks about Ultra Ego it's easy to hear Horikawa in my head say "Wagamama no Gokui", for example.

Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Helios518 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:02 am

For Goku and all the DBS characters, I read them as if their Japanese VAs were speaking perfect English somehow. For characters that came from DBZ (Saiyan arc to Boo arc), I hear them in their current Funi voices despite me watching the sub primarily.
Why I use "Geran" instead of "Jiren"

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:30 pm

I switch it up. It's all about who I want to hear in the moment. I've tried with the Japanese voices, but it's hard to imagine them actually speaking the lines. It's more like my brain registers the words, but just has the Japanese voices making sounds that go up and down with the inflections than actually saying the words. I know it sounds weird.

Also, I feel like a lot less distinction registers in my head between the Japanese voices. It's easy for me to imagine Goku's, Gohan's, Goten's, Bulma's, Vegeta's, Kuririn's, and Vegeta's voices, but much harder for me to imagine others'.

I started out hearing the Funimation cast, but after watching the Westwood dub a few years ago, I started mixing and matching.

Usually by default now, it's:

WKZ

Post by WKZ » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:08 pm

Generally English voices. In general I think the voices just fits the characters better than the original.
Only exception is Kid Goku and Goku Black, which are both from original cast, while Kid Goku better fits, something just stuck in my head about Goku Black's performance in Japanese.
Only 42 volumes are canon. Everything else is glorified fanfic.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:21 pm

I mostly "hear" the Japanese cast, miraculously speaking perfectly fluent English. In some cases a dub actor may slip their way in when they were actually well-cast and rocked the part, like Chris Ayres as Freeza.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Quantum-Kakarrotto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Quantum-Kakarrotto » Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:52 am

It's honestly mainly a mix of voices for me from the different English dubs of Dragon Ball (with the exception of a few characters), or even some fan-casting voices in my head for certain characters that I just couldn't resist.

Sometimes the voices of the original Funimation dub slip in for certain arcs sadly just because I grew up in that Toonami era and It's hard for my brain to move on from those voices sometimes even though I know how terrible the dub is and much I love the original Japanese and castings from other dubs.

My manga voices will mainly look like this though:
Last edited by Quantum-Kakarrotto on Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:05 am

mostly the ocean cast, but also just a mix of random voices that i think fit. when i was a little kid, i always used the Japanese voices though.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

ATA
Beyond Newbie

Post by ATA » Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:04 pm

Funimation Kai Voices. However when they're saying attack names I hear the JPN voices.

If the character haven't appeared in the anime I usually give them Cell Voice. Like Moro I gave him Cell Voice :lol: . For Granola he sounds like Kyle Hebert to me
May Your Heart Be Your Guiding Key

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:33 pm

The Funimation Kai voices with the exception of Kid Goku and Kid Gohan...though lately Gohan has become some weird blend of Stephanie Nadolny, Colleen Clinkenbeard, and Saffron henderson :P
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:39 pm

Always just the Japanese voices for everyone.

The only exception to this at all really is Shen Long, where on rare, random occasions the original Ocean/Saban voice will still, for whatever reason, pop into my head from time to time. That's really the only odd duck out though: otherwise, its just the Japanese cast.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

ATA
Beyond Newbie

Post by ATA » Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:40 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:33 pm The Funimation Kai voices with the exception of Kid Goku and Kid Gohan...though lately Gohan has become some weird blend of Stephanie Nadolny, Colleen Clinkenbeard, and Saffron henderson :P
Colleen Clinkenbeard's Kid Goku should be illegal. I miss Steph's Kid Goku. I wonder what happened to her
May Your Heart Be Your Guiding Key

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:04 pm

I just give Goku a thick Bobby Hill type southern accent now.