Weird dragon ball products

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Weird dragon ball products

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:20 pm

found these weird holographic covers that dont seem to match up with thier respective volumes (?)
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Weird dragon ball products

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:19 am

Been meaning to respond on this-

It's a little mini-manga that came packed with the pre-order bonus for Budokai 3 in America:

Here's a little video showing all the holographic sides of the mini-manga:

https://imgur.com/a/vM5xCS0
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:27 am

I don't remember the exact context but I remember FUNimation releasing an screener twenty years ago that had the dub cast of Dragon Ball and Fruits Basket goofing around on-camera and also doing parody dubbing for the Ino-Shika-Chou episode of Dragon Ball. I wish I could remember exactly what it was about because this has been eating at my brain for years now and I never have enough spoons to do a deep-dive search for it.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:29 am

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:27 am I don't remember the exact context but I remember FUNimation releasing an screener twenty years ago that had the dub cast of Dragon Ball and Fruits Basket goofing around on-camera and also doing parody dubbing for the Ino-Shika-Chou episode of Dragon Ball. I wish I could remember exactly what it was about because this has been eating at my brain for years now and I never have enough spoons to do a deep-dive search for it.
I recently (re-)bought it! At least it's probably the same one you're thinking of. Got some baby-faced Laura Bailey and Eric Johnson in there. It's one of the early Dragon Ball GT promotions, as well as Fruits Basket.

(Stolen eBay photo, 'cuz mine doesn't have its cover)

:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:34 am

VegettoEX wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:29 am
JulieYBM wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:27 am I don't remember the exact context but I remember FUNimation releasing an screener twenty years ago that had the dub cast of Dragon Ball and Fruits Basket goofing around on-camera and also doing parody dubbing for the Ino-Shika-Chou episode of Dragon Ball. I wish I could remember exactly what it was about because this has been eating at my brain for years now and I never have enough spoons to do a deep-dive search for it.
I recently (re-)bought it! At least it's probably the same one you're thinking of. Got some baby-faced Laura Bailey and Eric Johnson in there. It's one of the early Dragon Ball GT promotions, as well as Fruits Basket.
Yessir, that's the ticket! I remember watching it all those years ago and thinking "this is the weirdest and most surreal thing ever!" and now it serves the same weird curiosity in my brain that the alternate English dubs of Dragon Ball occasionally do.

Letting Bailey and Johnson just goof around like that on-camera for an official promotion is just one of those things that feels so weirdly of-its-time while also seeming like something a studio might attempt these days. If my vague memories are correct it feels like something that would be uploaded to YouTube, except it was back in the DVD days. :lol:
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter