Extremely annoyed by English language credits and episode title cards on DB Super blu-rays.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Re: Extremely annoyed by English language credits and episode title cards on DB Super blu-rays.

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:59 pm

Meh, English-language credits don't bother me. *shrug*

That said, I suppose that, for those who do care about that, the best approach would probably be the approach that Netflix takes for all of their shows: show the credits as they appear in the original language, and then roll silent black title cards after the credits end listing the cast and crew for the various dubs.

I'm all for dub casts and crews being credited since they deserve to be acknowledged for their artistic contributions, but it doesn't have to be where the original credits were. As long as they're credited somewhere, I'm fine.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Stargater25

Re: Extremely annoyed by English language credits and episode title cards on DB Super blu-rays.

Post by Stargater25 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:44 pm

I'm also fine with the Blu-rays showing Funi's cast and crew on on a separate page after the Japanese credits roll. I remember on my older sets they always only showed the American credits and completely skipped the Japanese cast which was annoying.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:03 am

I'm the exact opposite; I prefer for the BDs to have translated credits like the Kai/Super releases do (NOT just crediting the English cast like the old series' US home versions) — the point of the credits is for people to be able to read them and know who worked on the show; if you leave them in Japanese, then the target audience of the BD in question (in this case people who need English subtitles or audio to understand the show) won't be able to read any of them.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:43 pm

Puto wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:03 am I'm the exact opposite; I prefer for the BDs to have translated credits like the Kai/Super releases do (NOT just crediting the English cast like the old series' US home versions) — the point of the credits is for people to be able to read them and know who worked on the show; if you leave them in Japanese, then the target audience of the BD in question (in this case people who need English subtitles or audio to understand the show) won't be able to read any of them.
This is exactly where I fall on it, too -- 1000% agreed. The point is to provide an accurate, localized experience of the original product. Translating the credits accomplishes that.

I'm with y'all though on FUNimation (henceforth Crunchyroll, I guess!) credits absolutely not taking precedence on the original credits. They're not the people who made the actual underlying show, and it's not the original version of that show. The additional credits on a black background (if they're not licensed to do anything more creative than that) is absolutely acceptable, and as already noted has been done before.

A bonus feature with the original version of the credits in Japanese? Awesome! I know creditless has been fairly standard as of late, and that's also always a great inclusion.

A little conflicted on individual episode title cards, though. I recognize that I'm not being fully consistent with what I said above, but I really do prefer the original Japanese. I feel like it's part of the internal content to any given episode, and it's important to remain intact. Particularly with these kinds of shows where a character narrates the episode title overtop the title card, you do get the "translation" in there by way of subtitles and a dubbed narration, so that takes care of that.

They've at least gotten much better about matching the overall style and intentional aesthetic of Japanese title cards: the FUNimation DVD One Piece title cards come to mind with the white text and black border with little cracks and such in the font.

(This is all in regard to a home release; for a dubbed-only television airing, whatever, don't care too much. That's not "the" version.)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:24 am

For what it’s worth, in recent (last few years) FUNimation anime releases, the trend has mostly been “squeeze the dub credits into the first one or two pages and leave the entirety of the rest of the ED for the original staff.” While having the English staff first isn’t ideal, at least they try to get through them as quickly as possible and leave like 90% of the ED for the people who actually made the show.
Also, on the OP, they generally don’t include any English staff at all, other than a single line at the very end saying something to the effect of “Licensed by FUNimation, Inc.” or something (the exception being shows that don’t have EDs like modern One Piece, but those are rare these days).

They also don’t tend to bother localising title cards anymore these days, from what I’ve seen of the likes of My Hero Academia or the newest seasons of the Toaru-verse shows.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Stargater25

Post by Stargater25 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:51 pm

That's true, I haven't seen really any series with translated episode titles lately. I also agree that I prefer if the title is actually translated to match the title in Japanese. It was always weird in the past when the subs would give the title as one thing and the translators would give a completely different title on the titlecard. An example would be like in Ranma 1/2 the first episode was translated on the title card as "Here's Ranma" and the subs would have something completely different for the original title when it was narrated at the start of the episode.