Extremely annoyed by English language credits and episode title cards on DB Super blu-rays.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Majin Man 101
Beyond Newbie

Extremely annoyed by English language credits and episode title cards on DB Super blu-rays.

Post by Majin Man 101 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:08 pm

I own all of the Dragon Ball Kai and Dragon Ball Super Blu-Rays and I am extremely annoyed that all of the Japanese signs and symbols have been replaced by English translated credits and episode title cards. Will things change now that Crunchyroll is taking over distribution? Does anyone have the Japanese blu-ray version of Super with English subtitles?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Extremely annoyed by English language credits and episode title cards on DB Super blu-rays.

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:27 pm

Honestly with Funimation actually translating the episode titles instead of making their own and being bothered to properly credit the Japanese cast and crew in Kai and Super it doesn't bother me nearly as much as does for Funimation release of the first 3 series.

Majin Man 101
Beyond Newbie

Re: Extremely annoyed by English language credits and episode title cards on DB Super blu-rays.

Post by Majin Man 101 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:46 pm

I admit I’m being nit picky here for sure.

Majin Man 101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Man 101 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:48 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:27 pm Honestly with Funimation actually translating the episode titles instead of making their own and being bothered to properly credit the Japanese cast and crew in Kai and Super it doesn't bother me nearly as much as does for Funimation release of the first 3 series.
Yeh maybe I’m being too much of a snob on this one, but I do want to have that feeling that I’m watching a Japanese show.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:54 pm

Is this one of your first anime I take it? A lot of DB's sister shows, as well as classics done by Pioneer/Geneon, Bandai and ADV have only English credits.

Majin Man 101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Man 101 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:15 pm

Super Sonic wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:54 pm Is this one of your first anime I take it? A lot of DB's sister shows, as well as classics done by Pioneer/Geneon, Bandai and ADV have only English credits.
Well, for me it's all about preserving the show the original way it was made with as little deviations as possible. Dragon Ball was one of my first animes back in the day, and I remember getting my hands on a dvd copy of one of the movies or something that had the Japanese credits preserved and I thought it was amazing. I also share this annoyance with the Yu Yu Hakusho blu-rays, or pretty much anything else funimation produces. VIZ on blu-ray does a good job of preserving the original credits from the couple of animes I have from them.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:31 am

I like knowing the names of the people who worked on the show though. 🤷‍♂️ Which is why I appreciate when companies like Geneon actually translate it

Majin Man 101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Man 101 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:49 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:31 am I like knowing the names of the people who worked on the show though. 🤷‍♂️ Which is why I appreciate when companies like Geneon actually translate it
👍

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:11 am

Majin Man 101 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:15 pm
Super Sonic wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:54 pm Is this one of your first anime I take it? A lot of DB's sister shows, as well as classics done by Pioneer/Geneon, Bandai and ADV have only English credits.
Well, for me it's all about preserving the show the original way it was made with as little deviations as possible.
That's what the Japanese blu-rays are for. No one is stopping you from collecting those. That's what I did.

Majin Man 101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Man 101 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:34 pm

The issue is that while yes I could buy the Japanese release, and then rip them to a computer and then combine the U.S.A Blu-ray subtitles, that is such a hassle to do rather than having the distributors do it from the get go.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:41 pm

Majin Man 101 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:34 pm The issue is that while yes I could buy the Japanese release, and then rip them to a computer and then combine the U.S.A Blu-ray subtitles, that is such a hassle to do rather than having the distributors do it from the get go.
How good is your Japanese where you can read it, or do you prefer like Sentai Filmworks not translating then having translated credits follow?

Majin Man 101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Man 101 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:49 pm

Super Sonic wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:41 pm
Majin Man 101 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:34 pm The issue is that while yes I could buy the Japanese release, and then rip them to a computer and then combine the U.S.A Blu-ray subtitles, that is such a hassle to do rather than having the distributors do it from the get go.
How good is your Japanese where you can read it, or do you prefer like Sentai Filmworks not translating then having translated credits follow?
Exactly that would be the best way to go about it.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:25 am

I'm totally with you on this. It drives me absolutely crazy that FUNimation has jettisoned the original credits. I'm not watching their dub. I don't want any of their product in it. I just want the show as it is. It's the reason I have not purchased any of their releases since the DBoxes. It's something that so takes me out of the experience that, when I saw that the new Sailor Moon Blu-ray did, in fact, have Japanese credits, that was what sealed the deal for me to buy it. I probably wouldn't have otherwise.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:14 am

Companies stopped doing alternate angles because they're an encoding/bitrate nightmare, so you'll just have to bite the bullet on that 🤷‍♂️. English-language eleases are gonna make sure the primary buyers can understand everything and obviously have to credit people on their end too so...
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:39 am

This was the point where I had to start taking a step back. I got obsessed with title cards and credits and it just became a reason to buy for the sake of buying or sitting and being upset because somthing is 100% (this honestly is more fitting with super since the, if you watched it as it came out it had the japanese text...same for the super manga with the sound FX). And at the end, it doesnt really matter. These arent hand lettered like Dragon Ball and most of Z, they're typed on a computer.

But at the ened of the day, we're really not missing much and it doesnt really take away from the show, and as others pointed out they are translated properly this time. Id says maybe take some time away and really analyze your current interest in the franchis as a whole. I understand the completist thing but even thats not perfect since the blurays arent even the original rushed animation and revised. It's a maddening hole that ends up costing a lot of money. Just be careful lol

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:50 am

While I can sympathize with the frustration, these sets are for people who only care for the funimation english dub (i.e. the majority of western audiences)

To bounce off of eledore, I have seen way too many people on here drive themselves crazy demanding absolute perfection when they will likely never get it. At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:55 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:14 am . English-language eleases are gonna make sure the primary buyers can understand everything and obviously have to credit people on their end too so...
And I'm fine with that. I could be nitpicky and whine they should credit the Japanese cast and crew first and then the English side (which is what Pioneer did) but crediting the Japanese cast and crew at all is better than the absolute nothing from the pre-Kai era

As far as the doing away with alternate angles, I get that, but they should have taken the time to add the Japanese side to the credits or something. They had to re-do the credits for Z and GT anyways to use the Japanese ED footage instead of their own custom ending footage. They really didn't need to credit everyone under the sun that works for them in their end credits. Do I really need to know who the paint editors were in a visually uncensored product?

Even 4kids with their English only release were better at crediting the Japanese side than pre-Kai Funi

https://youtu.be/GyJfXkmIcDQ
kemuri07 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:50 am While I can sympathize with the frustration, these sets are for people who only care for the funimation english dub (i.e. the majority of western audiences).
They're supposed to be for both, even if the English side is prioritized, hence the billingual release.

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:52 pm

This is particularly annoying when two names are localised differently in the dub and subtitles. Not that that will be an issue going forward.
Majin Man 101 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:08 pm Will things change now that Crunchyroll is taking over distribution?
Possibly, if Crunchyroll are planning on pressing the same discs in Europe and non-English markets, though Toei seem to have 'solved' this issue already with their own English-language credits that don't reference the dub. Super: Broly did this (as does the One Piece TV series now, weirdly), and it's kinda the worst of both worlds.
jjgp1112 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:14 am Companies stopped doing alternate angles because they're an encoding/bitrate nightmare, so you'll just have to bite the bullet on that 🤷‍♂️.
Yeah, I can't imagine that they lost many sales when they dropped that feature. If they can implement Marathon Play, then they can implement a basic form of branching, and even a small pause on one version (which wouldn't be noticeable on most episodes) would be preferable to English-only. I would prefer both, but it's not a deal breaker for me.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:51 pm

LostTimeLord wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:52 pm

Yeah, I can't imagine that they lost many sales when they dropped that feature. If they can implement Marathon Play, then they can implement a basic form of branching, and even a small pause on one version (which wouldn't be noticeable on most episodes) would be preferable to English-only. I would prefer both, but it's not a deal breaker for me.
But with branching video you're still having to put in extra video files that is going to impact the quality. A standard blu-ray disc has what, 9 episodes? So with OPs and EDs combined that comes out to nearly 30 minutes of extra footage that exists just for one playlist that's triggered when you select the Japanese audio option from the menu. And on standard DVD it's even worse.

The Marathon mode option doesn't require any extra video; it's just an extra playlist setting that excludes certain chapter marks.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:34 pm

It actually bugs the shit out of me too, if I'm watching a Japanese show I want the experience of watching a Japanese show, but so many Blu-rays will say produced by Gen Fukunaga, written by Justin Cook, it's wrong. Put the English credits on a black screen at the end of the disc like Discotek, or even the Dragon Boxes.