Crunchyroll Purchases The Right Stuf International

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

coola
I Live Here

Re: Crunchyroll Purchases The Right Stuf International

Post by coola » Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:27 pm

How long Discotek is around? And I just remembered, Rightstuf is about to release Interspecies Reviewers, hopefully new owners wont try to cancel that...
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:50 am

JulieYBM wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:38 pm
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:36 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:47 pm Is is wild how many of the 90s/2000s anime licensing companies are gone. Is Viz Media the only one left?
Ocean Studios is still around, and has been since 1974, although maybe they don't count because they do more than just anime and mostly focus on prelay and dubs for other foreign cartoons now.

Viz will likely be bought out soon, Crunchyroll already own their European branch, so the writing is on the wall.
Did Ocean Studios ever license those Japanese cartoons, though? I seem to remember Ocean only ever did the voice work for other license-holders.
The actors like Ian James Corlett have confirmed they had the rights to record Canadian Dragon Ball dubs. We also know Ocean produced the later Z dub with Westwood Media (their production arm at the time) and Kai, so the answer would be yes. Contrary to popular belief AB Groupe only distributed their dubs in Europe.
coola wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:27 pm How long Discotek is around?
Since 2005.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Yalos
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Yalos » Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:52 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:36 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:47 pm Is is wild how many of the 90s/2000s anime licensing companies are gone. Is Viz Media the only one left?
Ocean Studios is still around, and has been since 1974, although maybe they don't count because they do more than just anime and mostly focus on prelay and dubs for other foreign cartoons now.

Viz will likely be bought out soon, Crunchyroll already own their European branch, so the writing is on the wall.
Crunchyroll owned the European branch long before the Sony acquisition. I really doubt Sony will buy the American branch, considering it's also owned by Shueisha and Shogakukan.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:23 pm

coola wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:58 pm Ok, i have to protest, I'm not woman hater, and i know Depp is not innocent in that case either, but..it was only Deep that got his reputation tarnished by Heard allegations, she even said "Who is gonna believe you i beat you up?". They both are toxic, but so far, only Depp got recasted or had contracts cancelled, Heard didn't faced any consequences. If that make me woman hater, for pointing out that not only woman should be seen as domestic abuse victims, then so be it.

In short, they both are toxic, and they both should face consequences, woman can be abusers too.
For the record, most domestic violence experts agree that “mutual abuse” is a myth. Depp had all the power in the relationship. Heard only ever admitted to hitting him in self-defense. Depp is no more of a victim than O.J. Simpson or Brian Laundrie, who also claimed to be victims of abuse. Also, Depp didn’t get recast until he lost a lawsuit that he filed against a U.K. tabloid. WB was perfectly willing to keep him around before that. As for Disney, they fired him because he became a pain in the ass to work with.

Anyway, that’s all I’ll say on the subject.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:30 am

Again, while I appreciate folks willing to school others on some of these bullshit points, this conversation no longer has anything to do with the topic of this thread. Further off-topic posts will be removed.

(The acquisition continues to suck.)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Inkei9001
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Inkei9001 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:18 am

I'm not at all surprised by this. With everything as a stand alone streaming service starting to die(bubble is bursting it won't end completely), Sony wants to make sure they will still get money from more than just thier properties so they boguht the place that sold other companies discs to get a bit of that pie

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:21 pm

With luck all the talent will leave TRSI and form a new store that we can buy from.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter