Crunchyroll Purchases The Right Stuf International

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Crunchyroll Purchases The Right Stuf International

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:58 pm

Bad news Scooby Gang, Crunchyroll has purchased The Right Stuf International. I've been using Right Stuf for over twenty years so it's pretty sad seeing it become a part of a monopoly. TRSI was basically neutral territory (Nozomi aside), so this really sucks.
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Re: Crunchyroll Purchases The Right Stuf International

Post by OmegaRockman » Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:11 pm

Oh, great. More corporate assimilation taking control of my favorite hobbies. I don't like it, but I can't say I'm shocked.

Fuck corporations.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fanβ„’

My YouTube

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:16 pm

OmegaRockman wrote: ↑Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:11 pm Oh, great. More corporate assimilation taking control of my favorite hobbies. I don't like it, but I can't say I'm shocked.

Fuck corporations.
It's so disheartening. TSRI was the closest thing you got to a cozy little shop run by a great customer service team with a management team that seemed to know what it was doing and was down to Earth. Seeing that get absorbed into a large corporation to never see the light of day again really sucks.

I don't know if we'll get to keep the same level of service or not. I really hope the TSRI crew unionizes but I suspect CR would just fire them all to prevent having to pay better wages or lose control over whatever becomes of that branch.
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:44 pm

Between this and Discovery's purchase of WarnerMedia creating an absolute clusterfuck that includes deciding to shelve a completed 90 million dollar film as a tax write off its been a pretty strong L for capitalism this week

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:06 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: ↑Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:44 pm Between this and Discovery's purchase of WarnerMedia creating an absolute clusterfuck that includes deciding to shelve a completed 90 million dollar film as a tax write off its been a pretty strong L for capitalism this week
I agree, it really sucks to see Batgirl tossed into the shitter and written off. Placing aside the casting of Keaton as Earth-89 Batman again I was very much looking forward to having a lead superhero film starring a woman. The inclusion of trans fem character Alysia Yeoh also really made me excited for the prospect. That doesn't even begin to tackle how awesome it would be to see Brendan Fraser in an action film again. The Discover deal has destroyed so many projects I was happily watching, like Batwoman and Legends of Tomorrow. It makes me fear for the comics division of DC Entertainment.

Both of these mergers and acquisitions paint a very bleak future for the industry, which I think will damage fandom engagement. I scares me to consider Sony/CR buying out Viz Media next somehow. If Sony got its hands on all of those popular JUMP comics they'd be damaging all the great work North American publishers have done the last few years of helping to expand the popularity to teenagers. There's such a delicate balance that we were working with and this nonsense puts me on edge.

Capitalism sucks. :|
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:28 pm

Funimation is awful and I wish they would stop eatting up the industry. I hope Discotek and Sentai Filmworks never sells out to them.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:01 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: ↑Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:44 pm Between this and Discovery's purchase of WarnerMedia creating an absolute clusterfuck that includes deciding to shelve a completed 90 million dollar film as a tax write off its been a pretty strong L for capitalism this week
I really don't get it, The Flash is as good as cancelled "thanks" to Ezra Miller, Aquaman 2 will probably have Amber Heard recasted (And if they won't, i refuse to watch any movie with that psycho lady) and now The Batgirl and all those shows cancellation.

And yes, even regarding my dislike for Funimation, I'm against monopoly in general.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:08 pm

coola wrote: ↑Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:01 pm , Aquaman 2 will probably have Amber Heard recasted (And if they won't, i refuse to watch any movie with that psycho lady)
Yeah....about that...
https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2022/0 ... -documents

https://www.vice.com/en/article/3ab3yk/ ... ohnny-depp

Wild how some people would want to "wait until the full story is heard" when it comes to Dick Lasagna's accusations (even after it was confirmed in court) but are ready to assume Depp with his history of alcoholism and violent behavior is the poor victim.

I. wOnDeR wHy tHaT iS
Last edited by MasenkoHA on Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MuscleRobo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MuscleRobo » Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:10 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: ↑Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:28 pm Funimation is awful and I wish they would stop eatting up the industry. I hope Discotek and Sentai Filmworks never sells out to them.
The funniest thing about all of this to me is they essentially bled out all their competition with those awful Orange Bricks during the recession and have just been gobbling them up since..

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:28 pm

FUNimation doesn't really even exist anymore. This is some sort of weird bastardized conglomeration of Sony and Crunchyroll executives calling the shots now, is it not? FUNimation is at most little more than the recording studios in Texas.

It's such a shame the industry made the terrible decision to return to recording at studios instead of using at-home studios for the actors. Once again capitalism hinders progress all so that it can continue to exert unfounded micromanaging control over its workers.
MasenkoHA wrote: ↑Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:08 pm Yeah....about that...
https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2022/0 ... -documents

https://www.vice.com/en/article/3ab3yk/ ... ohnny-depp

Wild how some people would want to "wait until the full story is heard" when it comes to Dick Lasagna's accusations (even after it was confirmed in court) but are ready to assume Depp with his history of alcoholism and violent behavior is the poor victim.

I. wOnDeR wHy tHaT iS
Not to mention there was already pretty strong evidence in Heard's favor before hand, the endless wave of MRAs coming out for Depp notwithstanding. But yeah, the hatred of women, ableism and biphobia toward Heard tipped me off pretty early that this was all just Depp using his public figure to figuratively assault his ex-wife all over again, this time just with millions of people shitting on her, too.

EDIT: Removed, re-added. It's such a struggle having to decide whether I'm going to engage withβ€”or in this case add on to MasenkoHaβ€”weirdo nonsense to counter information that isn't even entirely relevant to the thread. Ugh. Whatever. Someone just do this shit so I don't feel like I have to add my two cents as a woman any time a woman gets brought up, please.
Last edited by JulieYBM on Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:33 pm

Y'all are already getting way too far off-base.

For the not-so-secret usual women haters, knock it the fuck off, and read things from people other than your apparent usual sources. We don't have to and will not entertain that nonsense here. Furthermore, FUNimation didn't buy RightStuf: this is Sony who owns everyone now. You can't blame FUNimation for this. (I mean, you can, but you'd be wrong.)

Anyway, yes, this sucks.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:42 pm

JulieYBM wrote: ↑Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:28 pm FUNimation doesn't really even exist anymore. This is some sort of weird bastardized conglomeration of Sony and Crunchyroll executives calling the shots now, is it not? FUNimation is at most little more than the recording studios in Texas.
Yeah...as far as I am aware Funimation as a brand essentially doesn't exist. Sony merged all of Crunchyroll and Funimation's licenses under the Crunchyroll name. The remnants of Funimation is just the actors, directors, writers, audio engineers etc working at Oktratron 5000.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:58 pm

Ok, i have to protest, I'm not woman hater, and i know Depp is not innocent in that case either, but..it was only Deep that got his reputation tarnished by Heard allegations, she even said "Who is gonna believe you i beat you up?". They both are toxic, but so far, only Depp got recasted or had contracts cancelled, Heard didn't faced any consequences. If that make me woman hater, for pointing out that not only woman should be seen as domestic abuse victims, then so be it.

In short, they both are toxic, and they both should face consequences, woman can be abusers too.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:21 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: ↑Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:42 pm
JulieYBM wrote: ↑Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:28 pm FUNimation doesn't really even exist anymore. This is some sort of weird bastardized conglomeration of Sony and Crunchyroll executives calling the shots now, is it not? FUNimation is at most little more than the recording studios in Texas.
Yeah...as far as I am aware Funimation as a brand essentially doesn't exist. Sony merged all of Crunchyroll and Funimation's licenses under the Crunchyroll name. The remnants of Funimation is just the actors, directors, writers, audio engineers etc working at Oktratron 5000.
Yeah, that was the feeling I got when I was reading the news. Crunchyroll had the wider reach so strategically it made more sense to feed FUNimation into the wide-reach of the CR machine. Which is ironic (?) all things considered. Fandom has been antagonized by FUNimation's treatment of its IPs for so long and that antagonism has now ended in a weirdly anti-climatic way that has only opened up a bigger can of worms.

Good gravy, I just remembered that twelve years ago we still had 4Kids Entertainment and Saban Capital Group in the game. Now we have neither FUNimation, Saban nor 4Kids. How did time move so quickly? Where did the 2010s go? Oh, that's right, I was dissociating. :rofl:

If the Dragon Ball Gals line of figures was still being produced I wonder if they'd still be allowed on RightStuf. :thinking:

Reiterating, but I am honestly not a fan of these mergers and acquisitions. This is not good for fans nor is it good for works. Putting more and more power (however many different forms power takes) into the hands of a few (in this case Sony/CR) is going to mean less ability for fans to make their voices heard. The power needs to be redistributed immediately if we're going to keep the industry from imploding. If Sony decrees it then entire large IPs will just disappear overnight and that's bad, actually. Hell, who knows what kind of effect this might have on the Japanese releases. With regards to Dragon Ball specifically (I hear this is a Dragon Ball forum, after all), I'm not sure if Sony itself has any controlling interest in the production of the franchise itself outside of its NA (and now EU?) distribution but we do know that Sony/CR distributes in foreign markets that Toei Animation and the other production committee members rely on. Definitely leaves me wondering if this dynamic is going to change any over not over the next few years. Despite how big FUNimation got it never pulled a 4Kids Entertainment by ordering brand new episodes for Dragon Ball.1 Might the much larger Sony/CR move in that direction, though?

Gosh, I wish my brainworms let me focus on more important shit.

14Kids Entertainment was making so much profit from Pokemon and Yuugi-Ou! that for the fourth Pokemon movie they asked for new scenes to be animated to clarify that Yukinari was the younger Dr. Orchid and for Yuugi-Ou! they commissioned the first movie as well as the ten episode Yuugi-Ou! ALEX (released in the US as Yuugi-Ou! Capsule Monsters).
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:47 pm

Is is wild how many of the 90s/2000s anime licensing companies are gone. Is Viz Media the only one left?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:00 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: ↑Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:47 pm Is is wild how many of the 90s/2000s anime licensing companies are gone. Is Viz Media the only one left?
Media Blasters is still alive, having been formed in 1997. Some. How. Viz Media was founded in 1986, so that even manages to qualify for 1980s status!

Hey, anyone remember Central Park Media? Or that one Something-Rather Corps licensee? Wow, those were the days.
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:36 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: ↑Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:47 pm Is is wild how many of the 90s/2000s anime licensing companies are gone. Is Viz Media the only one left?
Ocean Studios is still around, and has been since 1974, although maybe they don't count because they do more than just anime and mostly focus on prelay and dubs for other foreign cartoons now.

Viz will likely be bought out soon, Crunchyroll already own their European branch, so the writing is on the wall.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:38 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: ↑Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:36 pm
Ocean Studios is still around, and has been since 1974, although maybe they don't count because they do more than just anime and mostly focus on prelay and dubs for other foreign cartoons now.

Viz will likely be bought out soon, Crunchyroll already own their European branch, so the writing is on the wall.
Did Ocean Studios ever license those Japanese cartoons, though? I seem to remember Ocean only ever did the voice work for other license-holders.
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:50 pm

JulieYBM wrote: ↑Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:00 pm
Media Blasters is still alive, having been formed in 1997. Some. How. Viz Media was founded in 1986, so that even manages to qualify for 1980s status!

Hey, anyone remember Central Park Media? Or that one Something-Rather Corps licensee? Wow, those were the days.
Technically Sentai is what's left of ADV, but I don't know if that counts.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fanβ„’

My YouTube

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:53 pm

OmegaRockman wrote: ↑Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:50 pm
JulieYBM wrote: ↑Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:00 pm

Technically Sentai is what's left of ADV, but I don't know if that counts.
That's very true. It was also mostly the same management that took over Sentai, right?

New skin, same decrepit bones.
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
Lucifer's bimbo daughter