Has any user grown up strictly on Dragon Ball Super?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mecha3000
Regular

Has any user grown up strictly on Dragon Ball Super?

Post by mecha3000 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:02 am

As in, you got into Dragon Ball during the Super-era (which crazily enough is almost ten years old now). I guess Battle of Gods and Resurrection F can be included because some newer fans may have gotten introduced during that time. However, I still mostly mean DBS. Some examples could be:

1. You grew up on the Super sub OR dub, as well as the Super manga.
2. You've never played the older PS2/PS3 games and have only played PS4-era games like Xenoverse, FighterZ, and Kakarot.
3. Ultra Instinct is YOUR version of Super Saiyan (same for your reaction to UI Goku).
4. You don't know what the Planet Trade Organization was.
5. You didn't grow up during the "hope of the universe" era of dubbing.
6. You have more nostalgia for the Super opening/ending songs than the previous series.
7. You can't fathom an era when the series wasn't readily available to watch online (AS IT AIRED IN JAPAN).

I ask this because as I get older (currently 25), I'm realizing that a whole new generation of fans who were maybe 9 when Super aired in 2015, are now 16 years old. Some might even be members on this forum. And it's just interesting to think that some fans have grown up with a steady amount of content (Super anime and manga as well as games, Super Dragon Ball Heroes, etc). Meanwhile, during my generation, Dragon Ball had ended and was only surviving on the merchandise (home releases, manga releases, games, etc) alone until Kai and the OVAs came out. I EVEN GRADUATED FROM HIGH SCHOOL THE YEAR DBS STARTED AIRING.

And I say this as someone who kind of grew up sandwiched between both the classic Z Funi dub era ("hope of the universe/ally to good, nightmare to you") and Kai ("I am the Super Saiyan Goku") era. It's just fascinating to see how Dragon Ball and its fandom have evolved over the years. Anyway, feel free to add more examples besides the ones I provided. I would like to hear memories of the newer generation of fans about their DB experiences.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Has any user grown up strictly on Dragon Ball Super?

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:00 am

I wonder if we will get anyone... I am such an old fart, that I grew up on Dragon Ball when GT was a brand new thing in Europe after it finished in Japan :lol: Was 10/11 years old when I first saw DB, now I am turning 34.
Lot of SNES emulating and time with Final Bout on PS.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:17 am

MCDaveG wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:00 am I wonder if we will get anyone... I am such an old fart, that I grew up on Dragon Ball when GT was a brand new thing in Europe after it finished in Japan :lol: Was 10/11 years old when I first saw DB, now I am turning 34.
Oh, wow. Respect, man. So, did you grow up on fansubs or did you have to wait until the dub came out? Also, funny enough, I just learned about emulation this year and played the Tenkaichi 4 mod (which brought me back to being 10/11 playing BT3 back in the day).

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:27 am

mecha3000 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:17 am
MCDaveG wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:00 am I wonder if we will get anyone... I am such an old fart, that I grew up on Dragon Ball when GT was a brand new thing in Europe after it finished in Japan :lol: Was 10/11 years old when I first saw DB, now I am turning 34.
Oh, wow. Respect, man. So, did you grow up on fansubs or did you have to wait until the dub came out? Also, funny enough, I just learned about emulation this year and played the Tenkaichi 4 mod (which brought me back to being 10/11 playing BT3 back in the day).
I grew up on French and German dub, that we got through satelite TV here in Czech Republic with french dub by a chance, as I was sick at home and switching though like 150 channels. DB never aired here except for GT on Animax with subs (not sure, it was 2014 I guess). German version of Z was my first encounter with Chala Head Chala and it was airing in prime spot every day right after news. This opening still has the same magical ring to me as Batman TAS opening has.
Dragon Ball actually ran from 1999 before Pokemon (because I was actually watching that and later Digimon, as they were several series before the Czech run) on RTL II, as I was 10, so I saw bits and pieces of it. Remember it looking pretty outdated at the time and had no idea about the story, but first impression I remember was Piccolo Jr. blowing up the stadium during Budokai and was like WTF! Got hooked up more when I saw episodes of Buu arc in French some time later and then went back and rewatched it, with GT airing right after Z ended, I guess around 2001ish. I was in 6th grade I guess.
The series were in constant reruns. DB and Z in Germany aired by episode per day.

Because of US version having "shitty" music and openings and I didn't like the over the top acting and dialogues, I switched right to the Japanese version and loved it, as I already watched shows like Slayers, Yu Yu Hakusho and Saint Seiya in Japanese (Saint Seiya in French as well first). By being english speaker as a second language, I got naturally to US release because it was the best home version for me later and was really puzzled by the dub. Not to say that German and French dub is without flaws, but German is probably the next best version to Japanese in Europe in my view.

We played a lot Buu Yuu Retsuden on Sega Genesis and Super Butouden 2 with my friend/schoolmate on emulators on really old computers :lol: Later, I met this crazy guy, who trained characters in Final Bout that had this training mode on PS and we had fights together.
Also, played a hell out of Legacy Of Goku and Legacy Of Goku 2, didn't had PS2 until a lot later to play Budokai 3.
Still in touch and best friends with these two old timers, watching and discussing new DB stuff together.

Thanks for the respect man, but I am just being old, there is nothing to deserve respect really :lol:
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:33 am

I mean, i was born in mid 1994 when DBZ was still airing first run on TV in Japan, so the middle of the Majin Buu arc and the manga still in serialization before it had even been properly established here (FUNimation was set up when i had turned six months old) and was around for pretty much the entirety of the original three series' broadcast runs on Cartoon Network/Toonami and all the hype therein so yeah i'm definitely part of that era for sure. Just like being around for Pokemon when it was at it's absolutely massive blitz here in the late '90s/early 2000's.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:44 am

I suspect there probably are people who grew up strictly on Dragon Ball Super, but something I've noticed about Dragon Ball -- and fandom in general -- is that we don't become aware of who the new fans are until years later.

Back when the Ocean dub of DBZ was first airing, a whole new generation of fans were brought in by it who freaking loved it. However, you wouldn't have known it from looking on the internet at the time. On the internet, the only people who were internet-savvy enough to seek out Dragon Ball fans online...were people who had already watched, loved, and preferred the Japanese version.

Same deal when FUNimation started their in-house dub. A whole new generation of fans were brought in by that dub and freaking loved it. You'd have absolutely no reason to believe that based on looking on the internet, though. It was filled with nothing but very loud and passionate anti-dub sentiment. Not just the dub itself, but everything about the dub. Like, as we all know by now, the Bruce Faulconer score has a huge following, but on the internet at the time the dub was first airing? Hooo boy, nothing but utter contempt for that score.

Heck, this wasn't just an internet thing, it extended to real life. I can't find the video, but I once saw a convention interview with Chris Sabat in which he said the first few years of him going to anime conventions consisted mostly of fans angrily asking why such-an-such was censored or changed. He remarked that his con-going experiences have been extremely pleasant for quite a while now, and that he appreciates that in part because his first few years of doing them were "horrible."

It's not that the dubbed version didn't have fans, though. Quite the opposite, it had a ton of fans! It's just that they were young. Too young to connect the dots that, "Hey, maybe there are other people online who like this too." So, slowly but surely as the years went on, as this generation got older and internet-savvy enough to seek other fans out, the picture started to become clearer: the dubbed version not only had fans, but a crap-ton of them. The Faulconer score not only had fans, but a crap-ton of them.

The exact same thing happened with the Kai dub. On the internet, you'd think nobody was introduced to Dragon Ball this way and that its viewers consisted solely of people who were curious how it was going to be different from the dub that fans were already familiar with. Then a few years pass, and we start hearing from the fans who were just kids when they were introduced to Dragon Ball via the Kai dub on Nicktoons.

So, are there people who grew up strictly on Super? If history is any indication, definitely. We won't hear from them for a yew years, though.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:54 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:44 am I suspect there probably are people who grew up strictly on Dragon Ball Super, but something I've noticed about Dragon Ball -- and fandom in general -- is that we don't become aware of who the new fans are until years later.

Back when the Ocean dub of DBZ was first airing, a whole new generation of fans were brought in by it who freaking loved it. However, you wouldn't have known it from looking on the internet at the time. On the internet, the only people who were internet-savvy enough to seek out Dragon Ball fans online...were people who had already watched, loved, and preferred the Japanese version.

Same deal when FUNimation started their in-house dub. A whole new generation of fans were brought in by that dub and freaking loved it. You'd have absolutely no reason to believe that based on looking on the internet, though. It was filled with nothing but very loud and passionate anti-dub sentiment. Not just the dub itself, but everything about the dub. Like, as we all know by now, the Bruce Faulconer score has a huge following, but on the internet at the time the dub was first airing? Hooo boy, nothing but utter contempt for that score.

Heck, this wasn't just an internet thing, it extended to real life. I can't find the video, but I once saw a convention interview with Chris Sabat in which he said the first few years of him going to anime conventions consisted mostly of fans angrily asking why such-an-such was censored or changed. He remarked that his con-going experiences have been extremely pleasant for quite a while now, and that he appreciates that in part because his first few years of doing them were "horrible."

It's not that the dubbed version didn't have fans, though. Quite the opposite, it had a ton of fans! It's just that they were young. Too young to connect the dots that, "Hey, maybe there are other people online who like this too." So, slowly but surely as the years went on, as this generation got older and internet-savvy enough to seek other fans out, the picture started to become clearer: the dubbed version not only had fans, but a crap-ton of them. The Faulconer score not only had fans, but a crap-ton of them.

The exact same thing happened with the Kai dub. On the internet, you'd think nobody was introduced to Dragon Ball this way and that its viewers consisted solely of people who were curious how it was going to be different from the dub that fans were already familiar with. Then a few years pass, and we start hearing from the fans who were just kids when they were introduced to Dragon Ball via the Kai dub on Nicktoons.

So, are there people who grew up strictly on Super? If history is any indication, definitely. We won't hear from them for a yew years, though.
Good point. I didn't join this forum until 2016 when I was 19. And even though I definitely grew up on the DBZ video games/home releases/manga as a kid, in some ways, I consider myself more from the Kai generation because I had never really known Dragon Ball apart from my experiences with the games and random Funimation DVDs/Viz manga. Kai also inspired me to get into other anime like Yu Yu Hakusho and even start collecting more. I even had fond memories of the Raging Blast games as well as the Budokai/Tenkaichi series. And I watched Kai on Nicktoons religiously as it aired (even though I had to miss a month's worth because I was visiting my conservative grandfather) since I was too young for DBZ's Toonami era. And honestly, I wouldn't trade. We all know how notoriously bad the old Z dub was in a lot of ways so I'm glad I was young enough to experience Kai in its prime. I also associate my best memories of my adolescence with Kai.

When it comes to my Dragon Ball collection, owning all the Kai 1.0 parts is a highlight and Kai 2.0 parts is a bonus. I remember when I went off the college and stayed on campus for a semester, I was fishing for any news of Kai's Buu Saga dub and now we have it readily available (somewhat since the releases are now getting to OOP territory). I also find in poetic that Kai ended in 2015 (in Japan) when I graduated high school and entered adulthood, which was also the same time Super started.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:28 pm

I don't want to think about it because hearing people grew up on Kai on Nicktoons makes me feel old, but considering on one occasion I overheard a Japanese episode of Super on the bus from someone's headphones the day a new episode was airing on Fuji TV, so the answer is probably yes.

I also imagine one day there will be another new series and reading forums will give the impression Super is universally loved because people who grew up on it will be singing its praise and trashing the new hotness.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:54 pm

I'm way too old for the "Super was my intro to Dragon Ball" whippersnappers.

I didn't grow up with fansubs because I didn't know what they were or where to find them, but I am from that era. I also remember some less-than-official ways of getting fansubbed DBZ movies wjen I was a bit older, but I never experienced too much of the series like that.

I would actually really like that crowd to weigh in on their thoughts on the series and how they might contrast with the old guard.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:50 pm

mecha3000 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:02 am 4. You don't know what the Planet Trade Organization was.
...what the hell is the "Planet Trade Organization"?
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:52 pm

Adamant wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:50 pm
mecha3000 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:02 am 4. You don't know what the Planet Trade Organization was.
Fandom term for Freeza Force.

Or maybe it was in the Funi dub? I don't think it was though.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:58 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:52 pm
Adamant wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:50 pm
Fandom term for Freeza Force.

Or maybe it was in the Funi dub? I don't think it was though.
Huh. Don't think I've ever seen that before, surely it can't be that widespread.

EDIT:
Apparently it's some counterintuitive nonsense the Dragonball wiki made up, loosely basing it on some random dub line. Go figure.
SSJGoku93 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:12 am As far as fan terms, we have shortened these down to the point where I am unable to find any, but the search continues. jjgp1112, you mentioned terms for stuff that do not have a "true name", a prime example we used was Frieza's organization, in which we named it "Planet Trade Organization", as Krillin does refer to it as the "planet trade" at one point, so this helps to identify what it is (we also note it as a term used to identify the organization).
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:35 pm

For what it's worth for anybody interested, there's a website called "DBZ Uncensored," which kept track of the changes FUNimation was making to the show--in every respect, from the visuals, to the writing, to the music, to the casting--and the guy who ran it, Chris Psaros, never held back on his opinions. I don't agree with every one of his sentiments, but it's an invaluable time capsule when it comes to learning what online Dragon Ball fandom was like at the time. It also has some fun and revealing interviews!
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:01 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:35 pm For what it's worth for anybody interested, there's a website called "DBZ Uncensored," which kept track of the changes FUNimation was making to the show--in every respect, from the visuals, to the writing, to the music, to the casting--and the guy who ran it, Chris Psaros, never held back on his opinions. I don't agree with every one of his sentiments, but it's an invaluable time capsule when it comes to learning what online Dragon Ball fandom was like at the time. It also has some fun and revealing interviews!
The fact that it only covers the Saban years (which have been replaced by the UUE redub) and season 3 (which the edited version went away whenever the vhs went out of print and half the dialog has been redubbed) makes it even more of a time capsule.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:10 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:01 pm
TheBlackPaladin wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:35 pm For what it's worth for anybody interested, there's a website called "DBZ Uncensored," which kept track of the changes FUNimation was making to the show--in every respect, from the visuals, to the writing, to the music, to the casting--and the guy who ran it, Chris Psaros, never held back on his opinions. I don't agree with every one of his sentiments, but it's an invaluable time capsule when it comes to learning what online Dragon Ball fandom was like at the time. It also has some fun and revealing interviews!
The fact that it only covers the Saban years (which have been replaced by the UUE redub) and season 3 (which the edited version went away whenever the vhs went out of print and half the dialog has been redubbed) makes it even more of a time capsule.
Yes, and it certainly does show it's age with that. Especially in the aspect of having been comparing/bashing said edited dubs which are no longer commercially available. Same as with Sailor Moon Uncensored, given the DiC and Cloverway Inc dubs' releases of SM, R, S and SuperS are also long out of print with all of the OG series run (even S5/Sailor Stars, which CWI never dubbed) and respective films having since been fully redubbed.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:01 pm

I still feel like Super has not been around enough for many people to be nostalgic for it.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:13 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:01 pm I still feel like Super has not been around enough for many people to be nostalgic for it.

I think that a 20-year-old could get nostalgic for something that was released when they were 13. Or someone who's 13 could get nostalgic for something released when they were 6.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:28 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:13 pm
Hellspawn28 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:01 pm I still feel like Super has not been around enough for many people to be nostalgic for it.

I think that a 20-year-old could get nostalgic for something that was released when they were 13. Or someone who's 13 could get nostalgic for something released when they were 6.
Super's released in Anglo countries was 2017. Less than the 7 year time frame you're providing.

And for the US at least its more likely to have been seen by a younger viewer on Hulu than on cable. And that was only like 2 years ago?

Either way Hellspawn is right it hasn't been long enough for the Super nostslgia to kick in.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:45 pm

You can definitely be nostalgic for something relatively recent. How many people are nostalgic for life before COVID?

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:49 pm

Zephyr wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:45 pm You can definitely be nostalgic for something relatively recent. How many people are nostalgic for life before COVID?
Good point. I was just reminiscing about 2019 when all the big movies were coming out and making a billion dollars easily (such as Endgame, Lion King, Aladdin, Frozen 2, Rise of Skywalker, Captain Marvel, Far From Home). Now, a movie is lucky if it breaks a billion. And in general, I just miss those pre-Covid times when life was simpler and we were able to do things without worrying about the various Covid variants or even monkeypox now.

But anyway, getting off topic here. When do you guys think the "Super generation" will start popping up on these forums? And when did the "Kai generation" start showing up here (of which I am a member since 2010 for Kai and 2016 for Kanzenshuu)?