Has any user grown up strictly on Dragon Ball Super?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Has any user grown up strictly on Dragon Ball Super?

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:04 pm

Dragon Ball Super began in 2015—seven years ago! Even an eight year old in 2015 would not be fifteen and looking back fondly on those early memories!

God, time moves so fast and yet you never notice until you stop to think back on shit. The JUMP Super Anime Tour special will be turning fifteen next year!!
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:13 am

JulieYBM wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:04 pm Dragon Ball Super began in 2015—seven years ago! Even an eight year old in 2015 would not be fifteen and looking back fondly on those early memories!
honestly, i disagree, but more up the age range. if i've learned anything from scouring discussion on here and other places in around 2009, there's nothing more young-young adults like talking about then stuff that happened when they were 14. like, i'm absolutely sure there's some 18 year olds on here who, you know, maybe didn't grow up with kai or the original anime series', so watching Super online in 2015 was like, a fairly formative thing for them. and they look back to finding like random anime streaming sites for Super the same way that say, 19 year olds 15 years ago fondly remembered channel surfing to find Z airing.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:08 am

Adamant wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:50 pm
mecha3000 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:02 am 4. You don't know what the Planet Trade Organization was.
...what the hell is the "Planet Trade Organization"?
Yeah, I had never heard of it before either. Reading that, what sprung to my mind was something akin to the Trade Federation from Star Wars, but Dragon Ball never had such a thing. I would never have guessed it to mean the Freeza Force.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:23 am

Soppa Saia People wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:13 am
JulieYBM wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:04 pm Dragon Ball Super began in 2015—seven years ago! Even an eight year old in 2015 would not be fifteen and looking back fondly on those early memories!
honestly, i disagree, but more up the age range. if i've learned anything from scouring discussion on here and other places in around 2009, there's nothing more young-young adults like talking about then stuff that happened when they were 14. like, i'm absolutely sure there's some 18 year olds on here who, you know, maybe didn't grow up with kai or the original anime series', so watching Super online in 2015 was like, a fairly formative thing for them. and they look back to finding like random anime streaming sites for Super the same way that say, 19 year olds 15 years ago fondly remembered channel surfing to find Z airing.
That's also very possible! I know a lot of the kids who grew up on Nicktoons Kai started posting here a few years ago. My memory pre-2021 is really bad, though, so I can't really remember a lot of details unfortunately.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:00 am

I think that the measurement for nostalgia is individual and bit abstract.
I might feel nostalgic for having seen Rise Of Skywalker in cinema three years ago when the movie was new... but it can be said that the movie is pretty much recent in comparison to Phantom Menace, that is nostalgia in it's finest as the movie is god damn 23 years old!
And I saw it new in the cinema as a kid.

Time also flows different for an adult. So on one hand, Super to me is still quite recent, the series ran through 2015–2018 and also Broly came out. And rewatching Z now, the show looks quite ancient after such time and it baffles me, how better I remember it to look when it ran in TV around 2000s.

But if you were a kid, watching Super when 7-8 years old from the beginning, you would be 14-15 years old nowadays and your world changes quickly in childhood and also your priorities and hobbies change. So you might be playing football, be interested in other people romantically and see some pic of Dragon Ball somewhere and say, yeah, this was a show I watched as a kid.
But maybe, you are still a fan, would you be nostalgic? Or maybe rewatching the rest of the show you haven't seen before. Or maybe, you got into the series around halfway or during ending, liked it and went back out of interest for the rest of it.

This is really crazy discussion involving multiverse of people that has no clear outcome, but I might say that Super won't be really nostalgic as a show, unless linked to some individual feelings like, remember when Super went first on air, I did, felt, liked... enter anything.

I guess that Kai fits nostalgia criteria already, being already over a decade old.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:58 pm

It look that I'm the *OLDER* here.

There are in my country DBS only people, you find many YouTubers about, they started with DBS or GT, just riding the wave of views.
We didn't got KAI or any special, nothing, a total black hole. The older generation grown and forgot it.
DBS here did poor, up to be aired after midnight. Very scarce to none merchandise. Quite no promo.
The serie was totally destroyed by old fans still in the fandom, I'd never read a positive voice about, and the show was left to kids first, and then 'erased' by the real 'killer' here in Italy: Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Most of DBS people refuse to watch the classic show, they usually rewatch the Sayan Saga to know of Vegeta, but more and more just getting YouTubers resumes.

The idea they have of DBS tropes is quite limited, you don't see kids talking of UI as once it was for Supersayan, I didn't see anyone get excited about, they're all about MCU.
The second "killer" was the coming of streaming services, so people opened their horizons and DB occupy a small part of their interests alone. That can be said of any show, anyway, all of them 'bite and flee' with no actual fanbase of a single show.

So, at least this side of Mediterranean Sea, you have DBS people, but you canot compare them to older anime fans at all.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:55 pm

I don't think you need many years to pass in order to feel nostalgic about something, as long as you had something you enjoyed and don't have it anymore, it's perfectly fine.
Hell, even I feel nostalgic about my life back in 2015, 2016, and long for those days every now and then. And I do miss those saturdays nights or sunday afternoons watching the brand new episode of DBS. I guess a younger person would feel it too, probably even more if that's how they were introduced to the franchise.

I felt nostalgic, in my senior year, about my first year of HS. Shit, I even feel it now for those first few weeks of the pandemic, when things seemed like the end of the world and I was just locked inside, watching movies all day long lol.

The Accountant
Not-So-Newbie

Post by The Accountant » Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:23 am

I mean, I didn't "grow up" on it. But it was my gateway into the franchise.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:56 am

In light of a previously raised point that time flows differently as you get older I would also say there's a difference between feeling "nostalgic" for something and growing up on it. They are not always one in the same, particularly as you get older and those years account for less of your life thus far as a whole.

My life was much different in 2015/16, I was still living with my parents, attending college, had a more active social life, went out to pubs and clubs, and of course watched new episodes of Dragon Ball Super as they aired. I miss some of those aspects, although overall my life is better now, I have a secure job, am paying a mortgage, am happily married and I have Super on home video. I can still look back fondly on the times where I had less responsibilities and have nostalgia for them.

As a 31 year old though, I certainly can't say those times 6-7 years ago were my formative years. By comparison someone who is 13 years old now who watched Dragon Ball Super as it aired can look back at the same length of time that passed since they were 6 or 7 and say they grew up on it as the majority of the years they've lived so far have since passed, and they likely would have seen Super for most, if not all the way through elementary and middle school.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:27 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:56 am In light of a previously raised point that time flows differently as you get older I would also say there's a difference between feeling "nostalgic" for something and growing up on it. They are not always one in the same, particularly as you get older and those years account for less of your life thus far as a whole.

My life was much different in 2015/16, I was still living with my parents, attending college, had a more active social life, went out to pubs and clubs, and of course watched new episodes of Dragon Ball Super as they aired. I miss some of those aspects, although overall my life is better now, I have a secure job, am paying a mortgage, am happily married and I have Super on home video. I can still look back fondly on the times where I had less responsibilities and have nostalgia for them.

As a 31 year old though, I certainly can't say those times 6-7 years ago were my formative years. By comparison someone who is 13 years old now who watched Dragon Ball Super as it aired can look back at the same length of time that passed since they were 6 or 7 and say they grew up on it as the majority of the years they've lived so far have since passed, and they likely would have seen Super for most, if not all the way through elementary and middle school.
First of all, please tell me how you achieved all of that as I am currently 25, single, ungraduated from college, and living in an old rundown house my aunt rents out to me.

Seriously, though, you make really good points. Nostalgia and looking back on your younger years isn't always the same thing. I mean, a few years ago when Super was still airing in Japan, Britney Spears' kid drew a UI Goku pic, if I remember right. And as we all know, UI is a Super exclusive concept.

So, who's to say that kid (who is now a few years older) doesn't look back fondly on that? I mean, when I was 11/12 back in 08/09, listening to Hero by Nickelback brought back Spider-Man 2002 memories and that would've also been 7 years old at the time (just like Super is now 7 years old).

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:20 am

mecha3000 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:27 am
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:56 am In light of a previously raised point that time flows differently as you get older I would also say there's a difference between feeling "nostalgic" for something and growing up on it. They are not always one in the same, particularly as you get older and those years account for less of your life thus far as a whole.

First of all, please tell me how you achieved all of that as I am currently 25, single, ungraduated from college, and living in an old rundown house my aunt rents out to me.
I was in a job with overtime, worked weekends, bank holidays and extended shifts. People thought I was crazy but it worked out as I was able to earn and save a fortune. Being in a relationship is a lot of right place, right time from what I've seen. Having never been with anyone else I can honestly say I was very lucky. We were in college and met through mutual friends. I've also since moved to a less expensive part of Ireland. Even now we wouldn't be able to afford to live in Dublin.

Best of luck with everything, you never know what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: