Mayumi Tanaka to retire from voice acting

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Mayumi Tanaka to retire from voice acting

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:59 am

So I've recently learned that Mayumi Tanaka has said Luffy is the last boy she will voice, meaning once One Piece ends she may retire.

Of course, given how long the Wano arc lasted no one, probably not even Eiichiro Oda can say for sure when One Piece will end, but it's something worth thinking about since we all ask will Dragon Ball end when Nozawa passes (I don't think so), since she has been playing Krillin/Kuririn since 1986.

We've already seen the role of Bulma, previously played by Hiromi Tsuru being passes on to Aya Hisakawa, so with this in mind it's probably likely we will see other recast in the Japanese version.

Will anyone else miss Mayumi Tanaka in the role? Are you hopeful for another actor doing the character justice?
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Mayumi Tanaka to retire from voice acting

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:02 am

I imagine she will continue to voice Kuririn for however long. Either way good on her, working is a scam!
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:16 am

They'll just recast the role and move on.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:30 am

Mayumi Tanaka never gets enough love for Kuririn. She's every bit as good and iconic in the role as Masako Nozawa as Goku and Ryusei Nakao as Freeza and Ryo Horikawa as Vegeta. Fortunately I don't think there's going to be too many Dragon Ball projects anyways.

But also it doesn't sound like she's actually retiring from voice acting. She just said she won't be doing anymore boy voices after One Piece ends. Considering One Piece is still ongoing and Dragon Ball is effectively over as of now it makes sense she doesn't even mention Dragon Ball.
Last edited by MasenkoHA on Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:31 pm

It literally says in that tweet she's NOT retiring. It also in no way suggests she has any plans of giving up any roles she currently has.

Would be nice to get an actual source instead of just "x said y, trust me" too.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:42 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:02 am I imagine she will continue to voice Kuririn for however long. Either way good on her, working is a scam!
Yeah, the unemployment line is where the real party is.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:55 am

I don't really believe Tanaka will quit her job.

And I hope that after One Piece she will still be in demand, not just for DB (as Krillin) but for other shows too.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.