Manga vs Anime: Simplicity or Expansion?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Wrigglything
Beyond Newbie

Manga vs Anime: Simplicity or Expansion?

Post by Wrigglything » Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:18 pm

Every now and then, while reading the original manga, I realise that there are some scenes in the manga that were expanded upon or just altered in general.
For example, the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai had a sequence where Tenshinhan, Krillin, Chiaotzu and Yamcha had to get to registration on time, though it is only in the anime and not in the manga, instead just showing up umprompted. Another is that they do not show the Namekians leaving Earth for New Namek in the manga, which was a mere text box, whereas the anime added a sequence showing us this, and if memory serves me right the scene where Vegeta was initially embarrassed by his drip is anime only and assumes as if he's just landed back after some time, whereas the manga is more vague upon what Vegeta was doing back then.
That's not to touch upon the Super manga and its many key differences, though I'm personally more interested in comparing the original. Since it all leads to this question: do you think the anime does a good job expanding the source material for enhanced storytelling, or do you think the manga's simplicity helps to keep things tight?

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Re: Manga vs Anime: Simplicity or Expansion?

Post by nineko » Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:51 pm

You should really watch Mistarefusion's DBD TV on Youtube, as it explores this very topic.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:52 pm

I generally prefer the anime expanding on things. It makes things feel a bit more organic and real. On the other hand, the anime expanding things that goes against Toriyama's intent tend to backfire when the anime has to then go ahead and line up with what Toriyama was trying to do. Which then has the effect of people blaming bad writing and character development on Toriyama.

Gohan's a good example of this. Toei added a bunch of stuff of him sneaking off from his studies to train as well as play up Chi Chi as a tiger mom. It gives the impression that Gohan would rather be like his dad and not be a scholar so fans get blindsighted by Boo saga Gohan dropping off on his training to focus on his studies. Even though Toriyama always intended for Gohan to be a scholar in contrast to his dad.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:28 pm

There were times when the added filler material in DB/Z added to the story and fleshed out things more beyond what Toriyama wrote or didn't in the source material, like in OG DB anime where the writers added in things like Goku's training parts prior the 22nd and 23rd Budokai's. That was some good stuff especially when he trains with Mr. Popo and Kami/God before the latter leading up to the transition with him becoming grown up after the three year time skip.

Z also had good stuff in this regard, because the added training material with Gohan filled in gaps that Toriyama had only barely touched upon when originally doing the Saiyan arc in the manga. That, and i found the Afterlife Tournament a decent mini arc in terms of expanding the lore of the Dragon Ball world in terms of the deities and their hierarchy at the time. It also felt like a good way to bridge the end of the Cell arc and the seven year time skip to Gohan starting high school.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:19 pm

Straight adaptations like these are in general best enjoyed by already being familiar with the source material, so that you can enjoy the additions while also being aware that they're additions.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!