Why does Vegeta still insist on using Goku's original Saiyan name?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Re: Why does Vegeta still insist on using Goku's original Saiyan name?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:58 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:49 am
JulieYBM wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:47 pm
Gokuu is also not particularly educated on things like gender, either. His character doesn't come across as if his gender matters to him at all.
"Don't talk so pathetically Ha-Chan, men can't give up."

Between lines like that and telling Bulma that Grandpa Gohan taught him to be polite to girls and that time he complained about girls having it easy when he's carrying an unconscious Bulma on his back I feel like Goku probably does have some concepts of gender.
Yeah, he just couldn't tell the difference by appearance since he never met a female before Bulma.

He also has no qualms hitting women seeing how he handle Blonde Lunch and Caulifla / Kale.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

ATA
Beyond Newbie

Post by ATA » Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:12 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:28 pm All right... In any event...

I think it's a lot stranger for fans to call Goku "Kakarrot" than Vegeta doing it. With Vegeta, it's like a nickname. It's like when a coach calls you by a name you don't want to be called by, but you ignore it and roll with it. Or someone creates a nickname/pet name that you don't like.

But when the fans do it, it's a like eye-rolling. People are free to enjoy the series however and I guess in return can call him whatever they want, but it's like: why? For what purpose? It comes off as trying to be disruptive and inviting conflict when someone goes, "Why the hell are you calling him that?" Because he is presented 100% as "Son Goku" and not "Kakarrot."

This how I feel when fans call 17 and 18, Lapis and Lazuli. They are never called that in the series. It's a fun fact sure but...it's just cringe in my opinion and reeks of "I'm a real fan that know their true names!!"
May Your Heart Be Your Guiding Key

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:11 am

Whatever implication you get from that (which I'd argue it's just you projecting things that might not exist at all), it is unfortunate that they still haven't been called by their actual names in the series. It's incredibly stupid and cringe for her husband and brother to still call her "android 18".

It's high time their names were once spoken out loud at least once. Needless to say, this goes to Mark as well (MiStEr SaTaN!1!11!1! You know, a lot of "problems" kids may have had could have been avoided if they called him "Mark" since the beginning. Try to picture parents catching their kids watching a cartoon where people are yelling "Satan" :lol:).
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

ATA
Beyond Newbie

Post by ATA » Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:18 am

Grimlock wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:11 am Whatever implication you get from that (which I'd argue it's just you projecting things that might not exist at all), it is unfortunate that they still haven't been called by their actual names in the series. It's incredibly stupid and cringe for her husband and brother to still call her "android 18".

It's high time their names were once spoken out loud at least once. Needless to say, this goes to Mark as well (MiStEr SaTaN!1!11!1! You know, a lot of "problems" kids may have had could have been avoided if they called him "Mark" since the beginning. Try to picture parents catching their kids watching a cartoon where people are yelling "Satan" :lol:).
I would't call it projection. More-so generalizing. Most likely 18 and 17 don't go by their real names in the show for consistency and marketing reasons. Everyone knows 18 and 17 as 18 and 17. In-Universe you can chalk it up to them not identifing with being (full) humans so why use their human names. That's my headcanon at least.

Ten na nGael

Post by Ten na nGael » Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:05 am

You'll see this in Western fiction as well, say novels set in the 19th Century where a character might have been born in Cherokee culture but now goes by "John" until somebody from his tribe shows up and calls him by his Cherokee name. Like Kryptonians often call Superman Kal-El. It's just supposed to be who he is in their culture and is meant to confront the character with their heritage.

DiloVortexx
Not-So-Newbie
Location: hehe dromaeosaurids,, (icon drawn by @/FeralWolf1234)

Post by DiloVortexx » Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:57 am

ATA wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:12 am This how I feel when fans call 17 and 18, Lapis and Lazuli. They are never called that in the series. It's a fun fact sure but...it's just cringe in my opinion and reeks of "I'm a real fan that know their true names!!"
i mean i dont personally see the issue in using their names if its in the canon lore (now if it was a deadname that would be a different story for obvious reasons)

again we have already established gokû doesnt mind being called and using his saiyan name kakarrotto/kakarrot, so i doubt 17 and 18 would mind being called lapis and lazuli either? : o
and maybe.. they would finally feel some joy at being called their real names again? idk thats just my take tho jskdjkfjg
Ten na nGael wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:05 am You'll see this in Western fiction as well, say novels set in the 19th Century where a character might have been born in Cherokee culture but now goes by "John" until somebody from his tribe shows up and calls him by his Cherokee name. Like Kryptonians often call Superman Kal-El. It's just supposed to be who he is in their culture and is meant to confront the character with their heritage.
YEAH thats a good take
and tbh its a good trope too (as long as it aint revolving around being a deadname thing and ofc if the character being called their original name doesnt mind being called it :thumbup:)

gives more of an excuse to explore indigenous culture in fictional media which hell yea gimme that tea
Dilo/Volt/Kareol/Zhadio -- Demiromantic pansexual demiboy (transmasc non-binary; goes by he/him, they/them, xe/xem/xyrs and raptorself pronouns!! to see more of my preferences regarding gender, sexuality and pronouns, click here!

dilo is pronounced dye - low, kareol is pronounced kah - rey - ohl (like bowl) and zhadio is pronounced zah - dee - ohh for those who may have trouble pronouncing my names! ^^")

autistic digital artist who likes drawing creatures and monsters and also they really like dragon ball lol (i may post dragon ball related oc art as well.. cuz i've done that a few times)
since i'm used to the lgbtq+ focused side of the fandom, those are usually the kind of topics youll see me post in if any of those pop up : o bc i have a pretty queer reading of the series ^^"

oh, you don't know what neopronouns are all about? well, have a resource for that!!
want to know how to use tone indicators to help out neurodivergent people to understand your words better? click here!

if you see me randomly type a bunch of letters like SDHFJFJGHD, thats just a thing in the lgbtq+ community called keysmashing which is usually used to show someone is laughing (either nervously or bluntly and so on and so forth)
if you need any help learning about lgbtq+ terms and such, feel free to ask! i will try my best to help out ^^

goten and trunks are gay and trans ♥

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:21 am

ATA wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:12 am
TheGreatness25 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:28 pm

This how I feel when fans call 17 and 18, Lapis and Lazuli. They are never called that in the series. It's a fun fact sure but...it's just cringe in my opinion and reeks of "I'm a real fan that know their true names!!"
I totally agree.

ATA
Beyond Newbie

Post by ATA » Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:04 pm

DiloVortexx wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:57 am
ATA wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:12 am This how I feel when fans call 17 and 18, Lapis and Lazuli. They are never called that in the series. It's a fun fact sure but...it's just cringe in my opinion and reeks of "I'm a real fan that know their true names!!"
i mean i dont personally see the issue in using their names if its in the canon lore (now if it was a deadname that would be a different story for obvious reasons)

again we have already established gokû doesnt mind being called and using his saiyan name kakarrotto/kakarrot, so i doubt 17 and 18 would mind being called lapis and lazuli either? : o
and maybe.. they would finally feel some joy at being called their real names again? idk thats just my take tho jskdjkfjg
We're venturing into head canon territory honestly. However I can't agree that just because Goku doesn't mind Saiyans calling him Kakarot doesn't mean that same works 17 & 18. As they're 3 different characters. It's also not outside the realm of possibility they don't have recollection of their human lives beyond the fact that they are siblings.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:23 pm

ATA wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:18 amMore-so generalizing.
Something you should seriously avoid doing it. It's dangerous.
ATA wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:18 amMost likely 18 and 17 don't go by their real names in the show for consistency and marketing reasons. Everyone knows 18 and 17 as 18 and 17.
That's correct. But still not a strong enough excuse to not use their real names.

~ Day of the Machines ~

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:33 pm

C18 signed up to the tournament as Number 18, seems she prefers her number for a name than her actual name.

As for C17 he never said what his real name is.

Basically I doubt C17 and C17 revealed their real names to anyone. If no one knows their real name, how can anyone call them anything other than C17 and C18.

ATA
Beyond Newbie

Post by ATA » Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:47 pm

Grimlock wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:23 pm
ATA wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:18 amMore-so generalizing.
Something you should seriously avoid doing it. It's dangerous.

In this situation it's not that deep. All I said it was cringe. Not a big deal as you're making it seem.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:54 pm

That and...
ATA wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:12 amand reeks of "I'm a real fan that know their true names!!"
Don't jump to this conclusion unless you are certain the person you are talking to is one of those. Although the best thing to do is to always ask the person why they are using the real names. Things (however stupid they can be) can easily escalate into a big deal in a blink of an eye.

~ Day of the Machines ~

ATA
Beyond Newbie

Post by ATA » Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:00 pm

Grimlock wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:54 pm That and...
ATA wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:12 amand reeks of "I'm a real fan that know their true names!!"
Don't come to this conclusion unless you are certain the person you are talking to is one of those. Although the best thing to do is to always ask the person why they are using the real names. Things (however stupid they can be) can easily and quickly escalate into a big deal in a blink of an eye.
In every instance I've encountered it was this. Does that mean literally every person is like that no. Once again the subject of 18 and 17 name isn't that big of a deal. We're at a deadend here lol.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:34 pm

ATA wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:04 pm However I can't agree that just because Goku doesn't mind Saiyans calling him Kakarot doesn't mean that same works 17 & 18.
As they're 3 different characters.
Lol that’s a confusing phrasing but if what you’re suggesting is that unlike Goku the androids maybe do mind being called 18 and 17, I think the most obvious indication that they don’t is that they call each other and themselves that.
Goku only did it once and it seemed more a formality.

Grimlock wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:23 pm It's dangerous.
😂

Anyway I kinda thought people who use Lazuli just do because it's a nice name, not to be pretentious as in the case of calling Goku Kakarot.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:19 am

Ten na nGael wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:05 am You'll see this in Western fiction as well, say novels set in the 19th Century where a character might have been born in Cherokee culture but now goes by "John" until somebody from his tribe shows up and calls him by his Cherokee name. Like Kryptonians often call Superman Kal-El. It's just supposed to be who he is in their culture and is meant to confront the character with their heritage.
Actually, I think the Native American experience is an excellent example of "deadnaming" outside of the transgender community. Native children were taken and forced into western schools where their cultural identity was stifled and replaced, including their names. The use of westernized names for native children was an attempt to show disdain for, and strike down their culture and identity, much as it is in the transgender community today. "Deadnaming" is part of a larger phenomenon of weaponizing names to strike in a cultural war that is seen countless times throughout history. Not just for people, even, see the Kyiv/Kiev situation for an example of how the name of a place affects cultural identity.

Kinda went off topic there, sorry 😅
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Ten na nGael

Post by Ten na nGael » Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:59 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:19 am Kinda went off topic there, sorry 😅
No worries, I know what you mean. We had a somewhat similar thing in Ireland where people had to switch to Anglophone names from Gaelic originals to survive economically. It's a complicated issue.

ATA
Beyond Newbie

Post by ATA » Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:53 pm

dva_raza wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:34 pm
ATA wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:04 pm However I can't agree that just because Goku doesn't mind Saiyans calling him Kakarot doesn't mean that same works 17 & 18.
As they're 3 different characters.
Lol that’s a confusing phrasing but if what you’re suggesting is that unlike Goku the androids maybe do mind being called 18 and 17, I think the most obvious indication that they don’t is that they call each other and themselves that.

Grimlock wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:23 pm It's dangerous.
😂

Anyway I kinda thought people who use Lazuli just do because it's a nice name, not to be pretentious as in the case of calling Goku Kakarot.
My apologies for the typo. I was trying to say that just because Goku is okay with Kakarot doesn't mean 18 and 17 are okay with people calling them their original names. As they are 3 different characters. Does that help?

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:22 pm

ATA wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:04 pm My apologies for the typo. I was trying to say that just because Goku is okay with Kakarot doesn't mean 18 and 17 are okay with people calling them their original names. As they are 3 different characters. Does that help?
dva_raza wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:34 pm if what you’re suggesting is that unlike Goku the androids maybe do mind being called 18 and 17, I think the most obvious indication that they don’t is that they call each other and themselves that.
Does this help? ^

ATA
Beyond Newbie

Post by ATA » Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:35 pm

dva_raza wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:22 pm
ATA wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:04 pm My apologies for the typo. I was trying to say that just because Goku is okay with Kakarot doesn't mean 18 and 17 are okay with people calling them their original names. As they are 3 different characters. Does that help?
dva_raza wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:34 pm if what you’re suggesting is that unlike Goku the androids maybe do mind being called 18 and 17, I think the most obvious indication that they don’t is that they call each other and themselves that.
Does this help? ^
I wasn't suggesting 18 and 17 don't like being called 18 and 17 lol. I'm saying that's what they want.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:41 pm

ATA wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:35 pm I wasn't suggesting 18 and 17 don't like being called 18 and 17 lol. I'm saying that's what they want.
🤨🤨🤨 ???...

Lol how in the world is that what you said here?
ATA wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:53 pm doesn't mean 18 and 17 are okay with people calling them their original names.