Vic Mignogna has lost his appeal and must pay out more and the appeals opinion is that he is a sexual predator

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Re: Vic Mignogna has lost his appeal and must pay out more and the appeals opinion is that he is a sexual predator

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:49 pm

Adamant wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:54 am Who?

And man, I feel a million years old when looking at these tweets. Is this really how kids write today?
oh step off it, if you don't care about the vic stuff/English dubs in general, that's fine, but a lot of people do, and it's fairly related to dragon ball given this sites history and the series history itself. you don't need to post in a somewhat serious thread just to state that you don't know a C tier voice actor.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Vic Mignogna has lost his appeal and must pay out more and the appeals opinion is that he is a sexual predator

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:33 pm

This thread from Kara Edwards was retweeted on my timeline and it really just goes to remind me just how awful Mignogna is. I hope all those harmed receive some sort of deeper retribution and I hope this asshole is never allowed into industry and fandom spaces again.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:36 pm

Don't miss Vic at all.

I was cautious of Johnny as Broly, but he did a good job in the new movie. Didn't sound like Ichigo or Vash.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:40 am

Soppa Saia People wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:49 pm
Adamant wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:54 am Who?

And man, I feel a million years old when looking at these tweets. Is this really how kids write today?
oh step off it, if you don't care about the vic stuff/English dubs in general, that's fine, but a lot of people do, and it's fairly related to dragon ball given this sites history and the series history itself. you don't need to post in a somewhat serious thread just to state that you don't know a C tier voice actor.
...I didn't, I asked who he was. Neither the OP nor that embarrasing garbage that was linked said anything about who this person was or what his relation to Dragonball is.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:04 am

If you want to know who he is, just google it? I guarantee you'll get an answer faster than waiting for some rando to give it to you. Or scroll a few tweets down the thread where he clearly states Mignogna is a voice actor? This forum was consumed by Vic discourse throughout 2019, and while you can ask that threads be more descriptive, jumping into one and proudly declaring that you don't know what you're talking about and that it should be everyone else's problem probably isn't the most productive track to that end. Is it really so much to ask of a member of this community for close to 20 years be aware of this extremely basic conduct?

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:50 am

Shaddy wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:04 am If you want to know who he is, just google it? I guarantee you'll get an answer faster than waiting for some rando to give it to you. Or scroll a few tweets down the thread where he clearly states Mignogna is a voice actor? This forum was consumed by Vic discourse throughout 2019, and while you can ask that threads be more descriptive, jumping into one and proudly declaring that you don't know what you're talking about and that it should be everyone else's problem probably isn't the most productive track to that end. Is it really so much to ask of a member of this community for close to 20 years be aware of this extremely basic conduct?
...Dude, I just asked who he was. Calm down. :wtf:
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:48 am

I'm a little bit on Adamant's side here, in that if you're going to take on the pressure and responsibility of starting a thread, you should be providing as much context as possible. You're not shouting into the void; you're starting a discussion.

That said, I find it particularly hilarious that one of the agitated responses literally concludes with the phrase "a C tier voice actor." That rebuttal wasn't quite the response you thought it was! Do you expect every international fan to immediately recognize the names of "C tier" English voice actors...? "Who?" is a pretty valid question here in the community for a site whose mission is aligned with the original Japanese version of the franchise.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Wrigglything
Beyond Newbie

Post by Wrigglything » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:19 am

You know, one thing I still can't understand is why are his fans still insisting that he did nothing wrong. Was the PR campaign so good that, no matter the evidence coming out proving what they say, is practically dismissed as hogwash? I mean, with so much weighing against him, you'd think there'd be at least skepticism from his group. But not only is his fanbase still going strong, I'd bet this setback might have actually made him more popular and beloved, as if there is really some conspiracy that the voice over industry is taking him down for petty reasoning since most legitimate and reliable sources have been on one side only, which bodes as well as you think. Any win on his side, however small, feels more exaggerated out of spite towards the other side and in support of someone they believe was a victim in the thick of it all.
And maybe it wouldn't be so bad, except that this whole debacle has become so toxic and put of whack that anytime there is a discussion of his voice work while discussing a character he's voiced for, it instantly turns into the same song and dance of anger and disgust towards some of the Crunchyroll cast.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:05 am

Wrigglything wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:19 am You know, one thing I still can't understand is why are his fans still insisting that he did nothing wrong.
Because it was never about right or wrong. It was just about their boy Vic getting hate from the leftist and the feminist and the woke or whatever they're complaining about these days

Izanagi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Izanagi » Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:19 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:05 am
Wrigglything wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:19 am You know, one thing I still can't understand is why are his fans still insisting that he did nothing wrong.
Because it was never about right or wrong. It was just about their boy Vic getting hate from the leftist and the feminist and the woke or whatever they're complaining about these days
ISWV never cared about Vic's career or his well-being. They just wanted to confirm their bias in whatever imaginary crusade they think they are on (see SJWs are taking over the world, ahh feminism, etc). Had they cared for Vic, ISWV would have given him a useful advice: hire a PR agency, apologize and do what they say, including laying low for 6 months or so. Best "public shaming to redemption arc" I can think of is Dan Harmon of Rick and Morty -- he owned up to his shitty behavior, apologized to his victim and publicly discussed about it in detail. His victim even called it a "Masterclass in How to Apologize."

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:10 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:43 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:25 am
JulieYBM wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:22 am I will forever remember that time years ago that Eric Vale would endlessly underscore just how old Mignogna was at cons, something he would always shy away from.
Vale also got pissy at fans on Twitter for telling him Autism Speaks is an awful organization. Dude always flies under the radar compared to Schemmel and Sabat always rubbing fans the wrong way.
Well, shit. Guess I need to file Vale away under "shithead". :/
If anything, most 90% actors and voice actors are shitheads in real life.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:22 am

Izanagi wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:19 pm ISWV never cared about Vic's career or his well-being. They just wanted to confirm their bias in whatever imaginary crusade they think they are on (see SJWs are taking over the world, ahh feminism, etc). Had they cared for Vic, ISWV would have given him a useful advice: hire a PR agency, apologize and do what they say, including laying low for 6 months or so. Best "public shaming to redemption arc" I can think of is Dan Harmon of Rick and Morty -- he owned up to his shitty behavior, apologized to his victim and publicly discussed about it in detail. His victim even called it a "Masterclass in How to Apologize."
Nailed it. There are two "factions" of ISWV. The first are actual fans who, in spite of all the allegations against him, continue to support him because they're a fan of him and his work. The second is people who never cared about him at all, and supported him purely because they thought his trial--which never even happened due to an enormous amount of evidence of misconduct on his part combined with him having no case and a legal team that made Charlie Kelly look like a competent attorney--would be a "symbolic victory" of sorts against "libs," "social justice warriors," and the #MeToo movement. I'm of the belief that Nick Rekeita is an excellent example of the latter faction. I also think of Kiwi Farms as being part of this faction too, and can vaguely recall some posts referring to the ongoing Vic saga as "the Weeb Wars."

I'm never gonna understand people who stir s*** up purely for the sake of stirring s*** up. This whole "I troll for the lols and don't care who I hurt"-mentality. It's so...I dunno, weird to me. I just can't wrap my mind around expending any amount of my daily energy towards something like that.
8000 Saiyan wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:10 pm If anything, most 90% actors and voice actors are shitheads in real life.
Ohhh, I must respectfully but heartily disagree. Especially when it comes to the VO community, they are by and large one of the nicest and most supportive communities I've ever encountered. Sure, there are jerks in it--jerks are an ever-present truth in every occupation--and there are certainly some instances of jerkery in the VO community that I can think of. On the whole, though, the VO community has very few jerks, especially compared to the on-camera community.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:51 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:22 amThere are two "factions" of ISWV. The first are actual fans who, in spite of all the allegations against him, continue to support him because they're a fan of him and his work.
How is this even possible

Can someone explain to me what widely acclaimed and recognized work Vic has done besides FMA?

Because it can't be from some grunts, badly delivered screams, and deadpan delivery of Broly

RWBY I guess? Yu Yu Hakusho maybe even?
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:54 am

Cursed Lemon wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:51 am
TheBlackPaladin wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:22 amThere are two "factions" of ISWV. The first are actual fans who, in spite of all the allegations against him, continue to support him because they're a fan of him and his work.

Can someone explain to me what widely acclaimed and recognized work Vic has done besides FMA?

Because it can't be from some grunts, badly delivered screams, and deadpan delivery of Broly

Did anyone even give a shit when he played Broly until 2018? Pre-2018 I only knew him as the guy that played the main character in FMA and singing the theme songs for Nicktoons Kai and Remastered GT. (And for having a reputation for being kind of creepy toward teenage girls at cons and being a conservative Christian) I sincerely had no idea he had been voicing Broly since 2003 until Super Broly came out.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:57 am

His bread and butter was pretty boys in shoujo series.

But it's correct to say that the people "standing with" him over this never cared about Dragon Ball, never cared about screamy green Saiyan man, never cared about anime, never cared about artistic integrity, never cared about accuracy, never cared about actual personal accountability, never cared about truth, and certainly never cared about you.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:59 am

It was a cult of personality from his fan interactions, being in popular series with the teen crowd (mostly as bishounen) and also his Star Trek Continues fan series, which had really high production values.

Before 2018 I don't really recall anyone giving a shit about him voicing Broli. It was always the role he joked about hating on con panels but also refusing to give up.

EDIT: shit, beaten to it.
She/Her
bisexual milf

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:06 pm

His role in Oruan High School Host Club was also popular among his fans (I can't attest to the performance one way or another since I didn't watch the show). He also played a character in Tsubasa Chronicles named Fai which was reasonably popular, with this instance being notable in that he publicly stated that he didn't believe his character--who is gay--was actually gay. His reasoning, as he stated at a con, was that he claims to have met Clamp (the manga authors), asked them if Fai was gay, and was told that he wasn't.

Not gonna get into the long story of why that claim is beyond dubious at best, but yeah, that claim is beyond dubious at best.

In any event, from what I've observed, it's not just his work, but it's the guy himself. Others have used the term "cult of personality," and I'm inclined to agree. Back when he was still allowed at most mainstream conventions, he seemed to have an extremely large following of female fans, who followed him because they apparently thought he was handsome, and that his personality was wholesome.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:18 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:06 pm

His role in Oruan High School Host Club was also popular among his fans (I can't attest to the performance one way or another since I didn't watch the show). He also played a character in Tsubasa Chronicles named Fai which was reasonably popular, with this instance being notable in that he publicly stated that he didn't believe his character--who is gay--was actually gay. His reasoning, as he stated at a con, was that he claims to have met Clamp (the manga authors), asked them if Fai was gay, and was told that he wasn't.

Not gonna get into the long story of why that claim is beyond dubious at best, but yeah, that claim is beyond dubious at best.

In any event, from what I've observed, it's not just his work, but it's the guy himself. Others have used the term "cult of personality," and I'm inclined to agree. Back when he was still allowed at most mainstream conventions, he seemed to have an extremely large following of female fans, who followed him because they apparently thought he was handsome, and that his personality was wholesome.
That CLAMP story reminds me of the time he went on the ANN podcast to defend his homophobia. God, what a weirdo.

But yeah, thinking back on it, he was totally the televangelist of the North American voice acting community. What a slimeball.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:20 pm

like every character in CLAMP stories are at least bi-sexual, what a moron.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:39 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:20 pm like every character in CLAMP stories are at least bi-sexual, what a moron.
I wouldn't be surprised if he was the type to think that bisexual people don't exist.
She/Her
bisexual milf