Super Hero (and Netflix's One Piece) is proof it's time for a live-action DB movie franchise

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Super Hero is proof it's time for a live-action DB movie franchise

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:33 am

Kid Buu wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:14 am But why is it so important kids see Dragon Ball? There's so many important life skills kids need to learn to succeed in the real world: how to interact with people, how to make food, how to have basic hygenie, etc.

Dragon Ball/TV shows would be the last thing on my mind if I was raising a kid.
YOUR MIND. Not your kids. Also I know education is very important, INSANELY SO, but so is entertainment. I know you will work hard to give them both but its important for kids to have choices. You cant just demand TV be school for kids that is insanely unfair.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:19 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:24 amAlso the The I Win button is for the broadcaster of course! They want to keep airing stuff and the way to do that is by having high ratings.
No one here is a broadcaster or in charge of a broadcasting channel though: so why should they/we give a shit? If all that matters to you is that DB be available to one's kids in 2022... well then mission accomplished. Its more than readily available to anyone/everyone at the tap of a touchscreen. Why does the delivery mechanism being broadcast cable TV matter so much when its barely watched by anyone under the age of 67 in today's day?

Seriously, statistically speaking the viewing metrics of traditional broadcast cable TV skew absurdly geriatric now: its literally just the decrepitly elderly who are clinging onto it and all but single handedly keeping it afloat. If this is all about small kids of today getting their DB fix, then its bizarrely out of touch with 2022 to think that cable TV of any kind is a be-all, end-all make or break means for any small kid of today (who I can assure you, are almost overwhelmingly glued to phones or tablets rather than the old school boob tube).

The only real reason anyone in the present day would conceivably care about DB being shown on broadcast TV is to ensure that it be viewable in retirement homes and senior centers. Hospice patients approaching their final weeks alive on Earth have vastly better odds seeing DB on a regular TV broadcast than would an average little kid today.

(Now THERE'S a Toonami-esque promo to get excited about: "Make your last DMT experience a DBZ experience!")
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:23 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:24 am .

Also, I love how everyone is like "LOL why would kids want to watch a lame 80's anime" when Me TV airs LOONEY TUNES* and other classic cartoons and they outdo pretty much any kids channel in ratings. Oh and Telexitos airs the 80's Ghostbusters cartoon so the whole "It's old" point is moot.

*NOT saying Looney Tunes are lame, but they are old.
It's almost like only baby boomers are still watching regular tv

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:06 pm

Kid Buu wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:14 am But why is it so important kids see Dragon Ball?
Probably they want to pass it down through the generations. Kids have way new and better ways to anime compare to most us as a kid.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:15 pm

https://www.cbr.com/dragon-ball-z-poten ... make-film/

Because Disney can, and because an attempt may silence the debate (for some time at least).
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:06 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:33 am YOUR MIND. Not your kids. Also I know education is very important, INSANELY SO, but so is entertainment. I know you will work hard to give them both but its important for kids to have choices. You cant just demand TV be school for kids that is insanely unfair.
Kids do have choices? :crazy:

It's 2022, unless they live in North Korea or a literal war zone, kids know how to use google to find what media they want to seek
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

chitsunameru

Post by chitsunameru » Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:15 pm

Kid Buu wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:06 pm
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:33 am YOUR MIND. Not your kids. Also I know education is very important, INSANELY SO, but so is entertainment. I know you will work hard to give them both but its important for kids to have choices. You cant just demand TV be school for kids that is insanely unfair.
Kids do have choices? :crazy:

It's 2022, unless they live in North Korea or a literal war zone, kids know how to use google to find what media they want to seek
And almost every streaming service will have a selection dedicated to the anime. most kids will not be watching broadcast tv unless the parents s have it on and the child sits down to watch with the parents. I do not understand where this false narrative of children having only broadcast tv in the year 2022 comes from.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:38 pm

I never said kids had only broadcast... Ok you know what. NOBODY is ever going to give in and change their minds. You are not going to change mine at least. So there.

Also where I live (Paraguay, which is totes North Korea or a warzone lol) we still have anime on broadcast tv and (Dragon Ball, Naruto, Digimon Adventure, Shinkalion, Hakushon Daimao 2020 and so on,) there is no false narrative. Its there for the kids who want to watch and they do pretty well on the ratings to boot.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:57 pm

For what it is worth Super does actually air on regular TV here:

https://www.popfun.co.uk/programme/dragon-ball-super-0/

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:59 pm

I know and that makes me really happy. Thanks.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:53 am

Yeah Super has done well on Pop all things considered in this day and age.

Unlike Kai, Manga UK somehow managed to convince TOEI to let them release Super on home video without a TV deal in 2017, and it was the only way of legally watching the dub here for nearly two years until the Pop broadcast. Even now, for anyone that wants the edited Super dub it can be streamed on BBC's iPlayer.

It will be interesting to see how much longer before Pop drops Super, but I think its current 3 years has been a good run with all the competition it's airings have had from other forms of distribution.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:34 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:33 pm
dva_raza wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:23 pm
-Flying looks like crap in live action, always.
I more or less agreed with everything you said or just didn't care to have an opinion one way or the other but this one just baffled me.

Seriously what?

I can't.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well it looks awful in my opinion.
The beginning of the video I like how she says “ultra smooth” and Wanda clearly staggering at the end lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_Ey8WGtUcE

I guess I don't like how people act flying, they adopt a pose and let the wires take care. It’s so unnatural I can “see” the wires. If you don’t good for you, maybe that’s why I can’t stomach all those Marvel flicks.

JulieYBM wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:16 pm
dva_raza wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:23 pm
Just watched those links. Wow, they really reinforced how much DB doesn't need to be made live action lol.
No idea why anyone would want a DB fight to be downgraded like that.
Downgraded how? Because no one form of art is being used to create something rather than another? That's kind of the whole point of wanting to experiment with different forms of art.

Besides, those were, again, just examples of what's possible on a small amount of time. Dragon Ball has taken so much for the various martial arts films Toriyama watched in the 1980s that I think it only makes sense to play around with live action. Something trying for the level of artistry in Cynthia Rothrock fight scenes would be so awesome! The Police Story mall fight goes to show how martial arts can be incorporated into chase scenes, mall crowds, and set destruction.

Don't let Hollywood awful use of CG give you tunnel vision about what kinds of art you can create with a camera! The set work and the editing in that BLEACH clip is awesome. Those Cobra Kai clips showed how you can create dynamic long-shot fights even on a short schedule and with little training.
No, I just mean acted battles as a whole, are a downgrade, from non acted ones. Since punches are fake, actors have to accentuate everything, and it just always feels rehearsed, I dunno.
Like Kill Bill is fun but I can see the rehearsed choreography. Every time I see Jackie Chan I see the rehearsed choreography too, along with those pronounced head jerks “in reaction” he does a lot. He acts. Which, yeah, it’s acting. I simply don’t want to turn a style with characters that are real (in their world, cause cartoons aren’t actors) into a style that will imply limitations. I mean the whole point of animation is you get to see anything, anything can be drawn. I just generally don’t like adding stuff that’s not needed. I think DB is fine sticking with the animated format. Also you know that making a fantasy film in RL will still require CGI to make it work so ...it’ wouldn't be real either way, just all forced and a mess.

mecha3000
Regular

Re: Super Hero (and Netflix's One Piece) is proof it's time for a live-action DB movie franchise

Post by mecha3000 » Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:50 pm

Sorry to bump this thread, but I just watched the first four episodes of Netflix One Piece and am wondering what all the naysayers think of its success both critically and commercially. IT BEAT FREAKIN' STRANGER THINGS AND WEDNESDAY!!! And don't deny it: Many of you probably thought One Piece wouldn't work in live-action even more than Dragon Ball wouldn't.

But it DID. And it was pretty faithful to the original work too. I was hoping this would happen because now there is ZERO EXCUSE for Toei (who also produces the One Piece anime) to not try their hand at a live-action Dragon Ball reboot. Especially with the new Capsule Corp studio being established.

But yeah, there is no longer ANY reason why live-action DB can't happen now besides a terrible and almost 15 year-old first attempt movie.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Re: Super Hero (and Netflix's One Piece) is proof it's time for a live-action DB movie franchise

Post by Jord » Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:27 pm

One of the problems is that while the OP characters can be translated to human actors fairly well, giving actors the DBZ haircuts would look like cosplayers at best, stupid at worst. Same goes for the KI attacks and such.

And even looking at live action One Piece...geez. It's not looking that good. The acting is bad enough in itself but the bad CGI and (wired) stunt work really takes me out of it.

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:38 pm

Personally I don't want a live action series, I don't care if death note and one piece got one, I don't care if every single anime from the 90s or early 2000s gets one. I had enough with dragon ball evolution, thank you.

HOWEVER...

It is true newer generations don't like watching animation that much, they are more of live action series or video games so it is probably a good way to get new audiences, which is the goal of such productions: Not to satisfy old fans but to appeal to the newer generations.

Maybe it is better for someone to watch a few episodes of a bad netflix adaptation cause they can't find anything else to watch but at least they will know who Goku and their friends are, opposed to someone to whom you tell them: "Dragon Ball" and they don't even know what it is (It happens when I talk to people over 45 years old at work).

I don't support it but I understand if they still go ahead and do it, to me it would the same way I feel about dragon ball super and fanworks like DBM.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:55 am

Saiya6Cit wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:38 pm It is true newer generations don't like watching animation that much, they are more of live action series or video games so it is probably a good way to get new audiences, which is the goal of such productions: Not to satisfy old fans but to appeal to the newer generations.
I'm interested how you came to this conclusion. To my knowledge, there is still a lot of interest in animation. Heck, the Mario Bros movie is one of the biggest box office hits of the year and Spider-Verse is one of the few super hero movies that did really well this year. Looking at he box office, animation is still in demand.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:17 am

Jord wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:55 am
Saiya6Cit wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:38 pm It is true newer generations don't like watching animation that much, they are more of live action series or video games so it is probably a good way to get new audiences, which is the goal of such productions: Not to satisfy old fans but to appeal to the newer generations.
I'm interested how you came to this conclusion. To my knowledge, there is still a lot of interest in animation. Heck, the Mario Bros movie is one of the biggest box office hits of the year and Spider-Verse is one of the few super hero movies that did really well this year. Looking at he box office, animation is still in demand.
Yeah. Animation is in very hot demand. Especially anime and so on.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:50 pm

I still think a DBZ adaptation would most likely look goofy or bad. All the auras and glowing hair. One Piece gets away with its wacky and campy visuals because the tone is a lot more light-hearted and fun.

However, the original Dragon Ball could totally work. Gotta remove some of the questionable content (ex. Kid Goku can't be patting people's crotches, teenage Bulma shouldn't be offering Goku a peek at her undies), but overall I think you could do an adaptation of original Dragon Ball and it would look fine.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:03 am

I don't think Idris Elba gives a shit. Lol!
Guillermo del Toro, on the other hand, is a different story. And I say this as someone who has previously worked on set as a background actor for the movie "Pacific Rim". So yes, I have interacted with both of them before. Even more so with Guillermo del Toro. Now he was a ton of fun! But I see him doing something Doraemon related before hopping onto Dragon Ball. He's a certified Doraemon fanatic. Didn't believe it at first but I asked him and he confirmed it. He loves the Doraemon movies.
The world is your's.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:13 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:27 am
mecha3000 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:24 am A live-action movie would finally get rid of the bias many people (John Campea to name one) have about "anime being this weird nerdy geek thing"
I remember at one point John Campea said he liked some anime, but I agree his hypocritical attitude calling Dragon Ball stupid and childish while praising things like the Lego movies is quite irritating. His video about Super Hero was also erroneously labelled the movie "Dragon Ball Super 2". You would think if a well known Internet personality like himself wanted to write Dragon Ball off as the rubbish he thinks it is he would do a bit of research on it :roll: .
Campea's such a tool. Rob is the true movie buff of the bunch. Also annoys me that Campea and the other cohosts laugh at Rob's expense for supporting physical media.
The world is your's.