Super Hero (and Netflix's One Piece) is proof it's time for a live-action DB movie franchise

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Super Hero is proof it's time for a live-action DB movie franchise

Post by capsulecorp » Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:12 pm

I actually thought DB Super Hero was proof we DON'T need a live-action DB movie franchise! So much of what make that movie work was all the creative visual flourishes that being live-action would not help at all... for example, the Gamma's holograph effects, or all of the wild, bulbous machinery. Not to mention all the new character designs! Toriyama's world class character design is a big part of why DB is successful, why would we throw that away?

I mean, look at all these DC and Marvel movies. Sometimes they look great, sometimes the effects are cool! But, the characters, the actors, more often than not, just look so stupid and dorky!

(also I've never even heard of BEAST, and as much as I liked Idris Elba in The Wire, he isn't really filling seats, is he?)

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:16 pm

dva_raza wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:23 pm
Just watched those links. Wow, they really reinforced how much DB doesn't need to be made live action lol.
No idea why anyone would want a DB fight to be downgraded like that.
Downgraded how? Because no one form of art is being used to create something rather than another? That's kind of the whole point of wanting to experiment with different forms of art.

Besides, those were, again, just examples of what's possible on a small amount of time. Dragon Ball has taken so much for the various martial arts films Toriyama watched in the 1980s that I think it only makes sense to play around with live action. Something trying for the level of artistry in Cynthia Rothrock fight scenes would be so awesome! The Police Story mall fight goes to show how martial arts can be incorporated into chase scenes, mall crowds, and set destruction.

Don't let Hollywood awful use of CG give you tunnel vision about what kinds of art you can create with a camera! The set work and the editing in that BLEACH clip is awesome. Those Cobra Kai clips showed how you can create dynamic long-shot fights even on a short schedule and with little training.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:21 pm

If you really want to see some crazy awesome stuff, look at what India cinema has been producing for decades.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:24 am

Okay, so the responses here seem pretty mixed, so I guess I'll just give my closing thoughts on this topic (unless of course, the conversation keeps going). It seems like the people who are holding this franchise back the most are the fans (in my opinion). I mean, look at Geekdom101's video about how Fortnite brought a whole new generation of fans into the franchise, which possibly helped Super Hero's box office.

So, why can't a live-action reboot movie do the same? Don't we all want Dragon Ball to evolve (not like Evolution, I mean) and gain more fans? A live-action movie would finally get rid of the bias many people (John Campea to name one) have about "anime being this weird nerdy geek thing", despite people like Megan Thee Stallion being fans of it. And more importantly, it can act as a gateway for new fans to enter the DB fandom. Why wouldn't that be a good thing?

At the end of the day, it's not about me wanting Dragon Ball to get validation. I just want Dragon Ball to do well in general, in any medium in can. And like I said, it's been almost fifteen years since Evolution came out. Can we and Toei/Shueisha just move on and give it another go? They have to keep trying to get the anime genre right in live-action or else it might never happen. Seriously, just look at the Marvel movies. There were a lot of misses until Spider-Man, X-Men, and the MCU came along.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:42 am

It's kind of unreal to me that you can be a Dragon Ball fan and also present animation as being "less evolved" than live action.

If someone thinks Dragon Ball is "a weird nerdy geek thing", I see no evidence that a live-action film would change their mind. But even if it does, isn't that kind of admitting you think that people who consider anime to be lesser than other mediums are right? Why would we want that for the franchise?

"Getting more fans" is not a values-neutral action, intellectual property owners are constantly making decisions that draw lines between which demographics are more likely to get into the series, and I for one do not need Dragon Ball to have the kind of fandom the MCU does (more than it does already, I mean).

Also, the MCU is not an objectively-correct way to do comic books as movies. Just because it was the most financially-lucrative does not mean that it's the right goal for Dragon Ball to shoot for. And even if it was, Dragon Ball is number 12 in the highest-grossing franchises on the planet. It is not struggling, "it needs more fans" is not much of an argument.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:22 am

mecha3000 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:24 am Okay, so the responses here seem pretty mixed, so I guess I'll just give my closing thoughts on this topic (unless of course, the conversation keeps going). It seems like the people who are holding this franchise back the most are the fans (in my opinion). I mean, look at Geekdom101's video about how Fortnite brought a whole new generation of fans into the franchise, which possibly helped Super Hero's box office.

So, why can't a live-action reboot movie do the same? Don't we all want Dragon Ball to evolve (not like Evolution, I mean) and gain more fans? A live-action movie would finally get rid of the bias many people (John Campea to name one) have about "anime being this weird nerdy geek thing", despite people like Megan Thee Stallion being fans of it. And more importantly, it can act as a gateway for new fans to enter the DB fandom. Why wouldn't that be a good thing?

At the end of the day, it's not about me wanting Dragon Ball to get validation. I just want Dragon Ball to do well in general, in any medium in can. And like I said, it's been almost fifteen years since Evolution came out. Can we and Toei/Shueisha just move on and give it another go? They have to keep trying to get the anime genre right in live-action or else it might never happen. Seriously, just look at the Marvel movies. There were a lot of misses until Spider-Man, X-Men, and the MCU came along.
Fortnite doesnt work for your argument. It's the animated characters who were in the game, not live action stuff. Also you want to prove animation is mainstream by... having a live action movie... Right.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:07 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:22 am
mecha3000 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:24 am Okay, so the responses here seem pretty mixed, so I guess I'll just give my closing thoughts on this topic (unless of course, the conversation keeps going). It seems like the people who are holding this franchise back the most are the fans (in my opinion). I mean, look at Geekdom101's video about how Fortnite brought a whole new generation of fans into the franchise, which possibly helped Super Hero's box office.

Fortnite doesnt work for your argument. It's the animated characters who were in the game, not live action stuff. Also you want to prove animation is mainstream by... having a live action movie... Right.
I'm not talking in strictly an animation-only sense. I mean, the entire franchise in general. Nothing bad can come from a good live-action Dragon Ball franchise. And I feel like if one finally happened successfully, this topic would become an outdated discussion we can all look back at with hindsight. I will admit that talking about the naysayers and DB becoming mainstream does make it seem like it's a validation issue for me, which isn't even my main concern. I just feel like Dragon Ball could be more than what it is now, especially since anime is more mainstream already than it was years ago. Hell, manga outsells comic books now, a medium that led to the freakin' MCU!!!

In my opinion, a successful Dragon Ball movie series could make billions of dollars at the box office. And had Evolution been done correctly back in 2009, I truly believe we would've seen that happen and this topic wouldn't even exist right now. I just think that the fans are so stubborn (and sadly Toriyama/Toei after Evolution) about Dragon Ball being an animation-only medium out of fear of another live-action failure. Just like I'm stubborn about wanting live-action Dragon Ball. I mean, Avatar: The Last Airbender and Percy Jackson are getting live-action reboots after their movies tanked. So, why can't Dragon Ball???

I really hope one day (even ten years from now), Dragon Ball gets another shot at live-action. I mean, Evolution was made for a reason: Dragon Ball was so popular that Hollywood wanted in on it. And Dragon Ball is STILL POPULAR. So, call me stupid and stubborn, but I guess I'll just keep dreaming for a live-action movie franchise. And it's absolutely ridiculous people keep using stuff like Evolution (which was NOTHING like Dragon Ball in the first place versus actually getting a faithful adaptation) as reasons it can't happen. Like I said, the fans were against a CGI Dragon Ball movie and are against a live-action movie. The fans are the ones holding the franchise back. I digress.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:52 am

I will never call you stupid or stubborn. You were the only one besides me who saw Value in Dragon Ball being broadcasted in this era of streaming. I think its still very important. ESPECIALLY when it comes to broadcast tv because its the only entertainment kids without cable or internet get. And there are plenty. Contrary to popular belief.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:55 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:52 am I will never call you stupid or stubborn. You were the only one besides me who saw Value in Dragon Ball being broadcasted in this era of streaming. I think its still very important. ESPECIALLY when it comes to broadcast tv because its the only entertainment kids without cable or internet get. And there are plenty. Contrary to popular belief.
Agreed, Cure! Nice to see you're still on the forum. Sorry we both can't agree on this topic, but to each their own opinion. But Dragon Ball being available on television (for those without streaming) is also a way to get more fans into the franchise. Not too different from how I see what a live-action movie can do for the franchise.

Anonymous Friend

Post by Anonymous Friend » Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:22 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:22 amAlso you want to prove animation is mainstream by... having a live action movie... Right.
It's sort of a badge of honor. "You're so popular, Hollywood wants to try and make a billion dollars off you". Or at the very least, they are willing to spend $300 mil trying to make a billion dollars off you.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Brodes
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brodes » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:42 pm

mecha3000 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:07 am
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:22 am

I'm not talking in strictly an animation-only sense. I mean, the entire franchise in general. Nothing bad can come from a good live-action Dragon Ball franchise. And I feel like if one finally happened successfully, this topic would become an outdated discussion we can all look back at with hindsight. I will admit that talking about the naysayers and DB becoming mainstream does make it seem like it's a validation issue for me, which isn't even my main concern. I just feel like Dragon Ball could be more than what it is now, especially since anime is more mainstream already than it was years ago. Hell, manga outsells comic books now, a medium that led to the freakin' MCU!!!
Manga has done extremely well for years. There's a reason Marvel and DC were chasing that success 20 years ago with manga sized TPBs at cheaper prices and such. It's not a recent development at all.

Dragon Ball is mainstream for all intents and purposes. A live-action movie won't change that, and I'm still not sure how an animated movies success means that a live-action movies success is guaranteed (or that said live-action movie is required because of it).

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:51 pm

To be fair to the argument in favor of a live action Dragon Ball film, people can view animation as a valid medium, and still want to see a new side of a story that they’re a fan of. Anime and manga are about mainstream as they’ll ever be, so I doubt too many people are ashamed to be fans of them.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:32 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:52 am I will never call you stupid or stubborn. You were the only one besides me who saw Value in Dragon Ball being broadcasted in this era of streaming. I think its still very important. ESPECIALLY when it comes to broadcast tv because its the only entertainment kids without cable or internet get. And there are plenty. Contrary to popular belief.
Why exactly is it so critical that today's kids get into that old ass anime from the 80s/90s? I think if a kid is in a situation with no cable or internet in the year of our Lord 2022, they've got bigger priorities than that old ass anime.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

chitsunameru

Post by chitsunameru » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:24 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:32 pm
Why exactly is it so critical that today's kids get into that old ass anime from the 80s/90s? I think if a kid is in a situation with no cable or internet in the year of our Lord 2022, they've got bigger priorities than that old ass anime.
If the today chils get into it it's still hip and mondo cool and I'm not a washed up never was which should get employment and move out of mother basement

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:05 pm

I dont really care about DB being mainstream or mondo cool or whatever. Or even have kids relive "mah childhood" or whatever. I just know that DB is THE I win button for ratings (And ratings are the life blood of tv) and that kids without cable or internet (Or even worse kids whose parents deliverately forgo both) deserve entertainment.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:43 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:05 pmI just know that DB is THE I win button for ratings (And ratings are the life blood of tv)
"Win" what though? Who wins what exactly? Like jj said, if a kid in 2022 is still without internet, then they seemingly have VASTLY bigger problems in life to worry about than whether or not they get into a specific old 80s anime. So who wins what exactly if DB does well in TV ratings in 2022? All the more so since astronomically fewer people than ever right now are watching or giving two shits about TV and cable is presently the most irrelevant in culture that its ever been?
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

chitsunameru

Post by chitsunameru » Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:20 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:05 pm I dont really care about DB being mainstream or mondo cool or whatever. Or even have kids relive "mah childhood" or whatever. I just know that DB is THE I win button for ratings (And ratings are the life blood of tv) and that kids without cable or internet (Or even worse kids whose parents deliverately forgo both) deserve entertainment.
While not having the internet in the year of 2022 is debilitating for children in school, not having cable is not a big issue at all. Most children are raised in streaming household. My friend is is no longer 1998, cable is not a thing that matters linear tv as a whole is not. Even if an old TV show could win against modern ones in cable or even over air tv few kids would see it.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:14 am

But why is it so important kids see Dragon Ball? There's so many important life skills kids need to learn to succeed in the real world: how to interact with people, how to make food, how to have basic hygenie, etc.

Dragon Ball/TV shows would be the last thing on my mind if I was raising a kid.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:24 am

Its not about DRAGON BALL! It has never been about DRAGON BALL! Also the The I Win button is for the broadcaster of course! They want to keep airing stuff and the way to do that is by having high ratings.

Also, I love how everyone is like "LOL why would kids want to watch a lame 80's anime" when Me TV airs LOONEY TUNES* and other classic cartoons and they outdo pretty much any kids channel in ratings. Oh and Telexitos airs the 80's Ghostbusters cartoon so the whole "It's old" point is moot.

*NOT saying Looney Tunes are lame, but they are old.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:27 am

mecha3000 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:24 am A live-action movie would finally get rid of the bias many people (John Campea to name one) have about "anime being this weird nerdy geek thing"
I remember at one point John Campea said he liked some anime, but I agree his hypocritical attitude calling Dragon Ball stupid and childish while praising things like the Lego movies is quite irritating. His video about Super Hero was also erroneously labelled the movie "Dragon Ball Super 2". You would think if a well known Internet personality like himself wanted to write Dragon Ball off as the rubbish he thinks it is he would do a bit of research on it :roll: .
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: