Starting a VHS Fansub project

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DisasterBeast

Starting a VHS Fansub project

Post by DisasterBeast » Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:02 pm

Hello all, I am starting a project dedicated to documenting old vhs fansubs. I originally started this idea during the original lockdown a few years back, what I want to do is essentially make a documentary about the old tape trading days. It will cover the fansubs themselves, the fansubbers, the distributors and generally the scene as a whole. Not just about dragon ball but all series during those days. The plan for now is to make a multi episode video series and throw it Youtube or the like.

What brings me here is to look for some assistance in this project. First and foremost and most important part is I need to obtain some of these Fansubs (whether that be through donations, buying them or even trading what I currently have) if you have any or know of anybody willing to unload theirs, please contact me, I'm looking for any and all (again not just DB, but mostly DB). I will literally buy entire collections.

The second thing I am looking for is people who were around those days and were active in tape trading/distributing, I'd love to basically interview you about those times as an early anime fan in North America. I've been in contact with a old fansubber from back in the day who will provide information on that side of things.

I believe that these moments in time need to be documented and preserved, it was a huge part of Anime culture and it really helped propel anime popularity to what it is today. I appreciate any and all help in this matter, you can contact me via PM or I can provide a dedicated email address attached to this project.

Thank You for your time!

Asin
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Starting a VHS Fansub project

Post by Asin » Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:24 pm

I may not have anything for you, nor any means of assisting you, but I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors, and I hope we see some fruits of this soon!

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Starting a VHS Fansub project

Post by sangofe » Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:27 pm

Someone timed a lot of, if not all, the Anime Labs scripts to Dragon Boxes.