Favorite and least favorite recast (Japanese version)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Re: Favorite and least favorite recast (Japanese version)

Post by Majin Buu » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:06 am

I concur on Mr. Satan's recast being my least favorite. Listening to Ishizuka play him in Super has made me appreciate just how perfectly cast Gori was for the character. I agree that Ishizuka plays him too much like a normal guy. I couldn't articulate why his performance didn't feel right aside from "he's not Daisuke Gori"; sounding too normal for Satan gets to the heart of the issue. His Satan doesn't scream "Large Ham" the way Gori's did.

Majin Man 101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Man 101 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:09 am

Naoki Tatsuta replacing Jōji Yanami as the narrator and Kaio has been the hardest pill for me to swallow. Honestly, I do think that Naoki Tatsuta was not the man for the job. He gives 0 hype and 0 excitement. Yanami always had a certain way about him, even if his delivery wasn't always the most exciting, he was able to keep you engaged. The switch to the new narrator was desperately needed with Yanami's unfortunate decline, but they really should have gone with someone else. There are plenty of hype narrators in the business, and I honestly hope that this is recast once again when animated Dragon Ball returns.

Majin Man 101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Man 101 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:14 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:56 pm
ABED wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:25 pm I agree that the recasts have not been for the better.

As for a full recast, let's not throw the baby out with the bath water.
Why not? The general consensus is that the returning actors were mostly phoning it in and while most of them were still quite good I think a brand new cast would have brought more life into it instead of the "I said this shit 20 years ago" vibe.
Animated Dragon Ball without Nozawa will happen one day, and when it does it would be an absolute disaster if they didn't get a 1:1 voice match.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:55 am

Majin Man 101 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:14 am
ABED wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:25 pm I agree that the recasts have not been for the better.

Why not? The general consensus is that the returning actors were mostly phoning it in and while most of them were still quite good I think a brand new cast would have brought more life into it instead of the "I said this shit 20 years ago" vibe.
Animated Dragon Ball without Nozawa will happen one day, and when it does it would be an absolute disaster if they didn't get a 1:1 voice match.
It'll be a disaster if they go for a voice match. You should hire an actor first and foremost, not someone to focus on trying to mimic someone else. Change is inevitable, you might as well work with it instead of against the river current.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:22 pm

Majin Man 101 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:14 am

You would think they'd already have understudies but as other recasts have shown, those aren't always great recasts.