Favorite and least favorite recast (Japanese version)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jord
Advanced Regular

Favorite and least favorite recast (Japanese version)

Post by Jord » Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:24 pm

So Dragon ball had it's fair share of recasts. Which ones do you like and which ones do you dislike

I really like the new VA for Bulma. It feels like a seemless recast as the actress gets very close to the original VA.

I dislike the second Mr Satan voice. It wasnt a bad voice or performance but it sounded vastly different from the original voice which really took me out the scenes starring Satan.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Favorite and least favorite recast (Japanese version)

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:08 pm

Not sure about favorite but least favorite recasting by far is Roshi's voice actor in late Z and GT to replace the late Kohei Miyauchi. What an awful performance.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:29 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:08 pm Not sure about favorite but least favorite recasting by far is Roshi's voice actor in late Z and GT to replace the late Kohei Miyauchi. What an awful performance.
The Muten Roushi has the weirdest casting history in the franchise.

Kōhei Miyauchi (Dragon Ball - Dragon Ball Z episode 260)
Jōji Yanami (Dragon Ball episode 137)
Hiroshi Masuoka (Dragon Ball Z episode 288 - Dragon Ball GT, 2008 special)
Kinya Aikawa (The Path to Power)
Takkō Ishimori (as Jackie Chun in Advanced Adventure)
Masaharu Satō (Wrath of the Dragon, 2009-present)

I think Satou is my favorite but it's so weird how they kept going back-and-forth with who voiced him. Hell, Yanami also voices him in a special event animation (I think it was a crossover with One Piece featuring Eneru) back in the 2000s. Things have finally stablized since Dragon Ball Kai, at least. It was funny how Masu'oka Hiroshi voiced him in the Wii game that came out in 2009 but then for Dragon Ball Kai and onward its been Satou Masaharu, who originally voiced him in Movie #16.

Tenshinhan is another odd case since the legendary Yamadera Kou'ichi voiced Tenshinhan for Dragon Ball Z Episode #82 and #84 and then
they brought in Madono Mitsu'aki to voice him for Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit and Dragon Ball: Tenka'ichi Dai-Bouken before switching permanently to Midorikawa Hikaru, who was already known for voicing Artificial Human #16 and Paikuuhan for the franchise.

There are so many weird recasts that just happened out of nowhere. I guess it could have been a pay dispute or scheduling issues but sometimes these actors just did not come back and it was the strangest thing.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:57 pm

Almost all recasts from Kai were worse than original, and i dont get why recast e.g Zarbon, when Sho Hayami is still active voice actor?
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:08 pm

coola wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:57 pm Almost all recasts from Kai were worse than original, and i dont get why recast e.g Zarbon, when Sho Hayami is still active voice actor?
Probably time or money. He did manage to voice Thouser for Raging Blast 2, though.

I honestly wish that they had just re-cast everyone for Dragon Ball Kai and onward. It would have been much more fitting.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:13 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:08 pm I honestly wish that they had just re-cast everyone for Dragon Ball Kai and onward. It would have been much more fitting.
No thanks. Frieza has a perfectly amazing voice to this day, same with Buu. Recasting for the sake of it would be forced.
Piccolo's VA is deeply attached to his character too, and so is of course Nozawa.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:29 pm

Xeogran wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:13 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:08 pm I honestly wish that they had just re-cast everyone for Dragon Ball Kai and onward. It would have been much more fitting.
No thanks. Frieza has a perfectly amazing voice to this day, same with Buu. Recasting for the sake of it would be forced.
Piccolo's VA is deeply attached to his character too, and so is of course Nozawa.
There's already new people involved in the making of the cartoon both within and outside of the voice recording studio, they might as well have brought in new voice actors. Nobody's coming into your house to destroy your copies of the pre-Kai material, you'll still have them.

Like, it happens to other franchises and it will inevitably happen to Dragon Ball.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:57 pm

I'll go further and say they should have reanimated it completely and start with adapting chapter 1.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:00 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:57 pm
I'll go further and say they should have reanimated it completely and start with adapting chapter 1.
Oh, absolutely. I've said that forever now. My hope is that they let Ishitani do a reimagining.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:13 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:57 pm
Same, but then again, back then it would probably be done by Yamamuro :(
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:20 pm

Jord wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:24 pm I dislike the second Mr Satan voice. It wasnt a bad voice or performance but it sounded vastly different from the original voice which really took me out the scenes starring Satan.
Unsho Ishizuka was brought in to cover most of Daisuke Gori's roles after he passed, but I've never seen much similarity between them besides the fact that they're both deep-voiced gentlemen. Gori admittedly had a gravelly bass voice that's hard to match, but Ishizuka sounds too... normal in comparison. Gori really sold Mr. Satan as a goofy, overblown parody of a pro wrestler. Ishizuka mostly plays him as a normal guy who happens to act the fool sometimes.

I didn't mind when Ishizuka only played a younger Heihachi in Tekken, but Gori will always be the definitive El Viejo Cabron Heihachi and Ishizuka is jarring when he has to play that version of the character.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:25 pm

I agree that the recasts have not been for the better.

As for a full recast, let's not throw the baby out with the bath water.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:42 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:20 pm
Jord wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:24 pm I dislike the second Mr Satan voice. It wasnt a bad voice or performance but it sounded vastly different from the original voice which really took me out the scenes starring Satan.
Unsho Ishizuka was brought in to cover most of Daisuke Gori's roles after he passed, but I've never seen much similarity between them besides the fact that they're both deep-voiced gentlemen. Gori admittedly had a gravelly bass voice that's hard to match, but Ishizuka sounds too... normal in comparison. Gori really sold Mr. Satan as a goofy, overblown parody of a pro wrestler. Ishizuka mostly plays him as a normal guy who happens to act the fool sometimes.

I didn't mind when Ishizuka only played a younger Heihachi in Tekken, but Gori will always be the definitive El Viejo Cabron Heihachi and Ishizuka is jarring when he has to play that version of the character.
Mimicking Gouri was never going to work, anyway. Ishizuka was an acting force of his own before joining DB and asking him to just copy Gouri--especially when Gouri hadn't even voiced Mr. Satan in Kai yet--would have just been asking for a headache. Similarly, Ebara Masashi shouldn't be trying to copy either Gouri or Ishizuka.

Ootomo Ryuuzaburou hasn't really tried to copy Gouri Daisuke's Great King Cold, either. He does kind of try to mimic Utsumi Kenji's Shen Long, though.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:56 pm

ABED wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:25 pm I agree that the recasts have not been for the better.

Why not? The general consensus is that the returning actors were mostly phoning it in and while most of them were still quite good I think a brand new cast would have brought more life into it instead of the "I said this shit 20 years ago" vibe.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:59 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:42 pm
Mimicking Gouri was never going to work, anyway. Ishizuka was an acting force of his own before joining DB and asking him to just copy Gouri--especially when Gouri hadn't even voiced Mr. Satan in Kai yet--would have just been asking for a headache. Similarly, Ebara Masashi shouldn't be trying to copy either Gouri or Ishizuka.

Ootomo Ryuuzaburou hasn't really tried to copy Gouri Daisuke's Great King Cold, either. He does kind of try to mimic Utsumi Kenji's Shen Long, though.
I'm agree he shouldn't have tried to imitate Gori, but I only wonder why Ishizuka was brought in the cover for almost all of Gori's roles as if he's a perfect doppelganger for Gori, when I don't think they sound very similar at all.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:05 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:59 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:42 pm

I'm agree he shouldn't have tried to imitate Gori, but I only wonder why Ishizuka was brought in the cover for almost all of Gori's roles as if he's a perfect doppelganger for Gori, when I don't think they sound very similar at all.
He didn't voice all of them, though. Ootomo Ryuuzaburou took over some as well as other voice actors for his non-DB roles. I think Satan was the only DB role that Ishizuka took over.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:27 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:56 pm
ABED wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:25 pm I agree that the recasts have not been for the better.

Why not? The general consensus is that the returning actors were mostly phoning it in and while most of them were still quite good I think a brand new cast would have brought more life into it instead of the "I said this shit 20 years ago" vibe.
I don't know if agree that they were phoning it in completely. It took some getting used to and they got better as it went. And just because someone brings their full energy to it, doesn't mean it would work well. The only reason to do a full on remake is due to nostalgia to begin with. The old cast is part of that.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:14 pm

My least favorite is the recast of Uranai Baba from Junpei Takeguchi to Mayumi Tanaka, because it's just her Yajirobe voice in every respect. Literally zero difference at all.

Other recasts that i don't particularly care for are both of Roshi's seiyuu after Kohei Miyauchi's passing in 1995, both Kinya Aikawa and Hiroshi Masouka. Masaharu Sato is by far the best recasting.

As far as favorites go, i thought Naoko Watanabe (also Pu'erh/Puar) was a decent recast for Chi Chi after Mayumi Sho departed with DBZ ep 66, though that said her harsher sounding take doesn't do it for me unlike Sho's cuter sounding version.

Also like Hikaru Midorikawa (No. 16, Paikuhan) as Tenshinhan, he does a good job succeeding the late Hirotaka Suzuoki.

Bulmas new voice Aya Hisakawa (also the voice of Sailor Mercury in the Sailor Moon anime franchise) succeeding the late Hiromi Tsuru sounds very good, she gives a good performance in the recent stuff and sounds nearly imperceptibly close to Tsuru at points.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:25 am

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:20 pm

Good post. You've described my thoughts perfectly. Ishizuka really plays it too straight, which in turn actually changes how the character comes across. I really like Satan in late Z and GT but in Super he just falls flat due to the performance

supersaiyamangod
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyamangod » Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:07 pm

I wish they were able to get great sound a likes for characters like kaio sama muten roshi and mr. satan etc. you know the ones that sound very off and I wish the voice of vegeta didn’t change so much since he got older. other than that the Japanese cast crushes the English voices of king Kai vegeta and goku and I think Karin yajarobe to name the ones I can think off the top of my head. It’s sad because Chris sabat and Sean have range so why not try to improve the voices to sound closer in tone to the characters instead of sounding bad.