Nickelodeon & Nicktoons airings

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tian
Advanced Regular

Nickelodeon & Nicktoons airings

Post by Tian » Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:25 pm

The following is a list of all Dragon Ball content aired on Nickelodeon & Nicktoons TV stations around the world.

France
DBKai: A censored version of the French dub of DB Kai was premiered on May 29, 2011. It was aired on Wednesdays (at 8:55am & 4pm) and Saturdays and Sundays (at 10:15am)

Greece
DBS: The Greek dub of DBS was premiered on December 26, 2018 with the airing of episodes 1 & 2 at 10pm and abruptly stopped at episode 27. It was aired on weekdays at 10:30pm (initial run & some reruns) and 11pm (some reruns). After the premiere, episodes 1 & 2 were later partially re-dubbed (replacing the Narrator) for consistency with later episodes. Episode 19 was aired only once.

Israel
DBS: The Hebrew dub of DBS was premiered on September 1, 2016 and abruptly stopped at episode 104. Episode 89 wasn't aired.
United States
DBKai: A censored version of the English FUNimation dub of DB Kai was aired from May 24, 2010 to January 1, 2012 (Episodes 1-97). Episode 98 would be aired later on February 8, 2013.

DBGT: Following DBKai, DBGT started airing from January 16, 2012 to December 13, 2012, with subsequent reruns until January 2, 2015.

DBSpecials: Bardock, The Father of Goku was premiered on February 23, 2012, A Hero's Legacy was premiered on December 30, 2012 and The History of Trunks on February 8, 2013 leading up to DBKai's Episode 98 premiere.

DBMovies: Several Z movies (Lord Slug, Cooler's Revenge, Return of Cooler, Super Android 13, Broly: The Legendary Super Saiyan, Bojack Unbound, Broly: The Second Coming, Fusion Reborn & Wrath of the Dragon) started airing from September 14 up to October 6, 2011 and then again in a marathon leading up to DBGT's premiere on January 1, 2012.
If you feel there's something missing, outdated or wrong, don't hesitate to tell me :)

Changelog & Special Thanks
Last edited by Tian on Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:59 am, edited 12 times in total.

Zinnia
Beyond Newbie

Re: Nickelodeon & Nicktoons airings

Post by Zinnia » Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:31 pm

By any chance do you think there are any Nicktoons GT episodes available anywhere? I remember they had a different kind of censorship including visual edits, would be interesting to have them for archival purposes.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:56 pm

Zinnia wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:31 pm By any chance do you think there are any Nicktoons GT episodes available anywhere? I remember they had a different kind of censorship including visual edits, would be interesting to have them for archival purposes.
Well, I haven't found any recordings of the Nicktoons GT airing yet (besides the promos) but I want to believe someone recorded the first episodes at least, specially since this airing didn't skip the first 16 episodes.

About the censorship on GT airing, I didn't add that to the topic because I was unsure whether Nicktoons did their own edits or they used an already edited version.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:02 pm

Tian wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:56 pmAbout the censorship on GT airing, I didn't add that to the topic because I was unsure whether Nicktoons did their own edits or they used an already edited version.
I think the edit of GT aired on US Nicktoons was the same one seen on Toonami a decade earlier. Cartoon Network apparently still had the masters so they were probably cheap to acquire.

Great topic though.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:18 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:02 pm
Tian wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:56 pmAbout the censorship on GT airing, I didn't add that to the topic because I was unsure whether Nicktoons did their own edits or they used an already edited version.
I think the edit of GT aired on US Nicktoons was the same one seen on Toonami a decade earlier. Cartoon Network apparently still had the masters so they were probably cheap to acquire.

Great topic though.
Oh I see. I thought the channel also did their own edits to GT since I had read they did their own cut of the Hitler scenes from Fusion Reborn's airing.

And thanks! Nickelodeon was (it kinda sucks now) one of my favourite channels growing up as a kid (mainly because of SpongeBob SquarePants) and I always thought it was pretty cool that some countries got to air the franchise in that channel or their sister networks.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:37 am

Tian wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:18 pm
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:02 pm

Great topic though.
Oh I see. I thought the channel also did their own edits to GT since I had read they did their own cut of the Hitler scenes from Fusion Reborn's airing.
Really? I never knew about this, but it would be interesting if they did. I'm not willing to claim the GT edit aired on Nicktoons was exactly the same as the Toonami airings, but from what I've been told by people that watched the run they were.

Also, I believe that Nicktoons also aired Nicktoons aired History of Trunks on February 8, 2013 at 20:00 just before the premiere of Kai episode 98, which was a neat choice given the subject matter of both.

Additionally, from what I've been told during GT's run Nicktoons reran all 5 episodes aired during the week on Saturday, but not in marathon or movie form like they did with the first 5 episodes.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:38 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:37 am Also, I believe that Nicktoons also aired Nicktoons aired History of Trunks on February 8, 2013 at 20:00 just before the premiere of Kai episode 98, which was a neat choice given the subject matter of both.
Added to the topic. Thanks!

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:43 pm

If i'm not mistaken the GT edits aired on Nicktoons were basically the same versions that ran on Toonami from 2003 to 2005, Step into the Grand Tour rap and all. Similar to how it was with DBZ on it's last rerun cycle back in 2007/2008 where even with the Orange Bricks release going on at the time they still used the old edited broadcast tapes from almost a decade earlier, Faulconer OP/ED and Dale Kelly's original narration included.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Zinnia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zinnia » Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:05 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:43 pm If i'm not mistaken the GT edits aired on Nicktoons were basically the same versions that ran on Toonami from 2003 to 2005,
But those didn't have the 1-16 episodes no? I vaguely remember Nicktoons making a few visual edits in these too, and just for comparison's sake it'd be fun if they were documented somewhere.

chitsunameru

Post by chitsunameru » Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:53 pm

Zinnia wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:31 pm By any chance do you think there are any Nicktoons GT episodes available anywhere? I remember they had a different kind of censorship including visual edits, would be interesting to have them for archival purposes.
While not all are available, I do know for a true fact there are some on the cat related which shall not be named. It is a big sad that only a hand full I was able to find but they seem to be pretty much the same as the vcr tapes mother got me as a child and I still have

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:55 pm

Zinnia wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:05 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:43 pm If i'm not mistaken the GT edits aired on Nicktoons were basically the same versions that ran on Toonami from 2003 to 2005,
But those didn't have the 1-16 episodes no? I vaguely remember Nicktoons making a few visual edits in these too, and just for comparison's sake it'd be fun if they were documented somewhere.
Yes, the initial Toonami run of GT didn't have 1-16 in full (The Black Star Dragon Ball eps) so they were basically cobbled together into a dub only recap episode while FUNi skipped ahead to ep 17. They didn't air the former until after the rest had already run.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

MrSatan2099
Patreon Supporter

Post by MrSatan2099 » Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:33 pm

Always really fascinated by this time period. I never had a good enough cable package to get Nicktoons, but I used to occasionally catch a GT episode when I would visit my sister a couple towns over. I had no idea they aired so many of the movies.

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:07 am

How apropos that I was just thinking about DB on Nicktoons recently.

Curious, did they run Dead Zone, World's Strongest and Tree of Might on the channel? Anime News Network claims they did, but I don't see anything pointing to them doing so anywhere here or elsewhere.
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:01 pm

wjbraden wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:07 amCurious, did they run Dead Zone, World's Strongest and Tree of Might on the channel? Anime News Network claims they did, but I don't see anything pointing to them doing so anywhere here or elsewhere.
As far as I know Nicktoons never aired the first 3 Z movies.

Just did a bit of digging and found some airdates for the movies Nicktoons did air.

Sept 7, 2011 - Broly: The Legendary Super Saiyan

Sept 8, 2011 - Fusion Reborn

Sept 14, 2011 - Super Android 13

Sept 15, 2011 - Bojack Unbound

Sept 21, 2011 - Broly: Second Coming

Sept 22, 2011 - Wrath of the Dragon

Sept 28, 2011 - Cooler's Revenge

Sept 29, 2011 - Return of Cooler

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:27 pm

I know they aired Lord Slug at some point that one and Fusion Reborn were the only ones I recall seeing on a tv guide for Nicktoons

Vidsigma

Post by Vidsigma » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:57 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:01 pm
wjbraden wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:07 amCurious, did they run Dead Zone, World's Strongest and Tree of Might on the channel? Anime News Network claims they did, but I don't see anything pointing to them doing so anywhere here or elsewhere.
As far as I know Nicktoons never aired the first 3 Z movies.

Just did a bit of digging and found some airdates for the movies Nicktoons did air.

Sept 7, 2011 - Broly: The Legendary Super Saiyan

Sept 8, 2011 - Fusion Reborn

Sept 14, 2011 - Super Android 13

Sept 15, 2011 - Bojack Unbound

Sept 21, 2011 - Broly: Second Coming

Sept 22, 2011 - Wrath of the Dragon

Sept 28, 2011 - Cooler's Revenge

Sept 29, 2011 - Return of Cooler
These were definitely the original dates announced, but if you look further on that site, there are talkback threads for each individual movie that confirm the actual dates they aired. I remember they pushed everything back by about a week, so here are the more accurate dates, with appropriate links to the talkback threads as a source:

September 14, 2011 - Broly: The Legendary Super Saiyan
September 15, 2011 - Fusion Reborn
September 21, 2011 - Broly: Second Coming
September 22, 2011 - Wrath of the Dragon
September 28, 2011 - Super Android 13!
September 29, 2011 - Bojack Unbound
October 5, 2011 - Cooler's Revenge
October 6, 2011 - The Return of Cooler

MasenkoHA is right about Lord Slug airing on Nicktoons. I remember people trying to find recordings of the broadcast from a couple years ago. Earliest date I can find on it is September 26, 2012 from a random tweet, but whether that's the actual premier date or not, I have no clue.

Also it doesn't seem like anyone else mentioned it, but Bardock: The Father of Goku also aired on Nicktoons, which seemingly premiered February 23, 2012 according to this thread.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:49 pm

Thanks Vidsigma. Great to see all of this information being documented and preserved because I know a lot of fans grew up with Dragon Ball on Nicktoons, and it's a nice thought for them to have a record of all this to look back on.

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:04 pm

Thanks everyone, y'all rock! 8)

I sorta figured the first three Z movies didn't air, since those (presumably) didn't have an edited cut with the Funi cast for them. So that only leaves Bio-Broly out of the Z Movies that didn't air? Kind of odd but nothing really lost there. :lol:
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:44 pm

Hi guys!

I would like to apologize for not editing the topic earlier with the newest contributions you guys been sharing lately.

It's just I couldn't login these days because my account got temporarily deactivated after I updated my mail info (I had no idea that would happen)

So now that I'm back, I'll update the topic right now.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:54 pm

Tian wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:25 pmGreece
DBS: The Greek dub of DBS was premiered on December 26, 2018 with the airing of episodes 1 & 2 and abruptly stopped at episode 27. It was aired at 10pm. Episode 19 was aired only once.
22:00 was only for the premiere. Then it was at 22:30 or 23:00.