The infamous Fusion saga dub switch also happened in the Netherlands

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

The infamous Fusion saga dub switch also happened in the Netherlands

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:36 pm

For those unaware on 14th October 2002 when Dragon Ball Z episode 237 (edited numbering) first aired in the UK and Ireland on the CNX channel the Funimation dub was mysteriously used in place of the Westwood dub, which is what had been airing for 130 episodes.

Something I only became aware of recently, and I must thank 90sDBZ for finding this video is that, judging by the voices this dub switch also happened in the Netherlands.

I was wondering is there any Dutch fans here that remember hearing the Funimation voices again as opposed to the Ocean voices that had been on the air for a while by then? Was it earlier than the UK broadcast date like how the Westwood dub was aired 3 months prior?

Also, this is a long shot but does anyone remember how long the dub switch in the Netherlands lasted?
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Re: The infamous Fusion saga dub switch also happened in the Netherlands

Post by worldmonsters » Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:04 pm

Dutch fan here. We had most of the Android and Cell arcs in the Westwood dub. We did have most of the Freeza and I believe Garlic Jr arcs in Funimation. I don't remember exactly where the switch happened though, but I do know it went through the Cell Games.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:06 pm

worldmonsters wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:04 pm Dutch fan here. We had most of the Android and Cell arcs in the Westwood dub. We did have most of the Freeza and I believe Garlic Jr arcs in Funimation. I don't remember exactly where the switch happened though, but I do know it went through the Cell Games.
Yes that makes sense because the Android and Cell arcs aired on Cartoon Network UK and its sister channels exclusively with the Westwood dub. Conversely the Freeza and Garlic Junior arcs only ever aired with the Funimation dub because Westwood Media never recorded those episodes. In the UK and Ireland the only other episodes I know for a fact aired with the in-house cast before Kai were those episodes in the middle of the Boo arc broadcast as the "Fusion saga". I've heard some fans claim to have seen the Great Saiyaman episodes at certain timeslots.

From what I've been told Yorin bought the rights to Dragon Ball Z from Cartoon Network UK so in theory the dub switch must have happened at the same point in the show for both channels, although if the Netherlands were still ahead the Funimation dubbed episodes would have aired for longer before the switch back to Westwood.

Sadly all the information on this may be lost to time now, but maybe one day we will hear confirmation from a source close to the broadcasters.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:50 am

Is that why there's a missing episode for the Westwood dub... ... ... um... in all of the places where such a thing could be found...?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:57 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:50 am Is that why there's a missing episode for the Westwood dub... ... ... um... in all of the places where such a thing could be found...?
If you mean for the Fusion saga, no. I'm not sure if it was the same for the Netherlands but when this portion of the Boo arc originally aired on CNX in the UK it was initially run with the Funimation dub a number of times before switching back to the Westwood dub on all further reruns of those episodes.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:23 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:57 am
TheGreatness25 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:50 am Is that why there's a missing episode for the Westwood dub... ... ... um... in all of the places where such a thing could be found...?
If you mean for the Fusion saga, no. I'm not sure if it was the same for the Netherlands but when this portion of the Boo arc originally aired on CNX in the UK it was initially run with the Funimation dub a number of times before switching back to the Westwood dub on all further reruns of those episodes.
Aw, thank you!

Damn it. I know that's an episode missing somewhere around here and I was hoping that the reason was that it was just never made.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:32 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:23 pm
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:57 am
Aw, thank you!

Damn it. I know that's an episode missing somewhere around here and I was hoping that the reason was that it was just never made.
I'm aware not all the places online that have Westwood dub episodes contain all the episodes, but I know they are all out there, and as someone who grew up with the dub I can confirm every episode from The Mysterious Youth until Goku's Next Journey was dubbed and aired in the UK and Ireland, no episodes were skipped. Thankfully none are lost, as I know it's all been shared, if not all in the one place.

Lance Freeman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lance Freeman » Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:10 pm

Canadian here and, honestly, all the reports of what happened with the dub up here don't line up with what I remember. I was watching on YTV back in the day and, aside from one random episode (probably the Trunks in the future flashback mid-Androids) I was watching Funimation's dub until the 2001 fall season. It switched back to Ocean right before Super Saiyan 2. I'm in Ontario, could it have been a different market thing?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:43 am

Lance Freeman wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:10 pm Canadian here and, honestly, all the reports of what happened with the dub up here don't line up with what I remember. I was watching on YTV back in the day and, aside from one random episode (probably the Trunks in the future flashback mid-Androids) I was watching Funimation's dub until the 2001 fall season. It switched back to Ocean right before Super Saiyan 2. I'm in Ontario, could it have been a different market thing?
That sounds right other than it being just before Super Saiyan 2. In Canada the switch from Funimation back to Ocean happened with episode 168 in edited numbering, which was Android Explosion, that would have aired September 2001 on YTV. The difference with Canada, compared to Europe is that once YTV switched back to Ocean they never looked back, there would be no brief switch back to Funimation for the rest of the Cell and Boo arcs, the remaining episodes in Z's original run aired exclusively with Ocean's dub, and Funimation's dub would only be seem in reruns. Canada's Season 4 comprised of episodes 103-179, Funimation was supposed to send YTV all those episodes with their dub but YTV only received episodes 103-167 in that batch, so for the last 12 episodes they began purchasing Ocean dubbed episodes from Westwood Media and never looked back.