Toriyama's Best Decisions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Toriyama's Best Decisions

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:42 pm

It's only fair that since we have a thread about Toriyama's mistakes we also have one for his best decisions.

-Aging up the cast.
-Sparing Vegeta.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Toriyama's Best Decisions

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:22 pm

I like both suggestions, Toriyama was especially right to age up Goku as that's something he was advised against doing.

I would also add making Gohan live a more conventional adult life, because I like how he's not a mere Goku clone, and now with Super Hero there's so much potential for the future where he needs to get the balance right between being a family man and being able to protect Pan and Videl when needed.

Also Piccolo having a change of heart through a gradually growing bond with Gohan was pretty neat and cute.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:04 pm

- Goku coming back as a main hero in the Buu Arc, Gohan isn't suited to be a MC and he isn't and never was that interesting.
- Piccolo becoming good.
- Creating Future Trunks and his tragic story, even if it's copied straight from the Terminator franchise.
- Vegeta finally admitting he is the second fiddle and deciding to stop with his "Kakarot obsession" during End of Z era.
- Finally paid taxes.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:20 pm

Having Goku spare pretty much every villain/antagonist, and them redeeming themselves and becoming great additions to the cast, and/or becoming useful fighters.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:51 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:42 pm It's only fair that since we have a thread about Toriyama's mistakes we also have one for his best decisions.

-Aging up the cast.
-Sparing Vegeta.
Actually. I think it would be better if Vegeta died permanently after Freeza. After that he intelligence dropped considerably and he basically followed a pattern of being overconfident, letting a villain power up and getting his ass kicked.

Geraldo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Geraldo » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:22 pm

Jord wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:51 pm
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:42 pm It's only fair that since we have a thread about Toriyama's mistakes we also have one for his best decisions.

-Aging up the cast.
-Sparing Vegeta.
Actually. I think it would be better if Vegeta died permanently after Freeza. After that he intelligence dropped considerably and he basically followed a pattern of being overconfident, letting a villain power up and getting his ass kicked.
I totally agree. Look at how awesome and wholesome Dragon Ball Z could have been without Vegeta shoved into the Z-Fighters' dynamics with "The Tree of Might".

Not to mention Yamcha could have been married to Bulma, like their Japanese voice actors told Akira Toriyama as they voiced their objection to his wrongdoing.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:33 pm

I meant the first time. Afterwards yeah. Big Mistake.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol: