It's 2022. Isn't it about time the manga gets published in color?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jord
Advanced Regular

It's 2022. Isn't it about time the manga gets published in color?

Post by Jord » Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:46 pm

I have been reading my Dragon Ball SD's tonight and it's so refreshing to read (an adaptation of) the Dragon Ball manga in color. Looking vibrant, giving the story literally a new coat of paint.

Meanwhile, the official new mangas still gets published in black and white. I don't know how much the manga sells nowadays but it's obviously still succesful. You'd think that makes it succesful enough to hire a colorist.

desu
Beyond Newbie

Re: It's 2022. Isn't it about time the manga gets published in color?

Post by desu » Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:15 pm

But Dragon Ball manga is available in color... And the same goes for Super although they're still a few chapters behind.

If you mean mangas in general, some would be pretty hard to color, such as Berserk.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:21 pm

Japanese comics tend not to have anyone except the main artist handle the coloring. Furthermore, these comics tend to be published in magazines aimed at kids, so price is kept low to make it easier for established and new readers to buy and then discard.

In addtion, grayscale is a legit art. A comic is not lesser for being produced and published in grayscale.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:23 pm

If you can read Japanese you could always import the full colours. Viz tried it, but that was cancelled, likely because they weren't selling enough to justify the cost of licensing.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: