Where to watch Dragon Ball Z?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dep

Where to watch Dragon Ball Z?

Post by Dep » Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:05 am

I have watched Dragon Ball subbed, and now after doing some research on Dbz, I discovered that the 16:9 version is not recommended. So, does anyone know where one can legally stream Dbz in 4:3 and where it is available in 16:9? Is only the 16:9 version available in HD? And if yes, then does it matter? Can I change between the dub and sub version while streaming?

Majin Man 101
Beyond Newbie

Re: Where to watch Dragon Ball Z?

Post by Majin Man 101 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:39 am

Dep wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:05 am I have watched Dragon Ball subbed, and now after doing some research on Dbz, I discovered that the 16:9 version is not recommended. So, does anyone know where one can legally stream Dbz in 4:3 and where it is available in 16:9? Is only the 16:9 version available in HD? And if yes, then does it matter? Can I change between the dub and sub version while streaming?
Crunchyroll currently has the majority of Dragon Ball Z in 4:3, ripped directly from the Dragon Boxes. If you watch it dubbed it will be 16:9 HD and if you watch it subbed it will mostly be 4:3 DVD rips. The Dragon Box DVD rips in standard definition are widely accepted as having superior video quality to the 16:9 Funimation remaster. There are some irregularities here and there. The Majin Boo arc is 4:3, but is stretched to 16:9, and I think I read that there are a few episodes scattered throughout that are 16:9 from Funimation's 2007 release. Currently, besides buying the 4:3 30th anniversary bluray's Crunchyroll is your best bet to watch the show in 4:3 without looking elsewhere for unofficial sources.

Dep

Post by Dep » Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:33 am

Majin Man 101 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:39 am
Dep wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:05 am I have watched Dragon Ball subbed, and now after doing some research on Dbz, I discovered that the 16:9 version is not recommended. So, does anyone know where one can legally stream Dbz in 4:3 and where it is available in 16:9? Is only the 16:9 version available in HD? And if yes, then does it matter? Can I change between the dub and sub version while streaming?
Crunchyroll currently has the majority of Dragon Ball Z in 4:3, ripped directly from the Dragon Boxes. If you watch it dubbed it will be 16:9 HD and if you watch it subbed it will mostly be 4:3 DVD rips. The Dragon Box DVD rips in standard definition are widely accepted as having superior video quality to the 16:9 Funimation remaster. There are some irregularities here and there. The Majin Boo arc is 4:3, but is stretched to 16:9, and I think I read that there are a few episodes scattered throughout that are 16:9 from Funimation's 2007 release. Currently, besides buying the 4:3 30th anniversary bluray's Crunchyroll is your best bet to watch the show in 4:3 without looking elsewhere for unofficial sources.
Thanks buddy, you summed everything beautifully. I will watch it on Crunchyroll as Funimation is not able to deliver something as good as Dragon Box or Level Sets on physical media yet.

I was just wondering if there was any way to get Dbz Kai dub 1-98 episodes with Yamamoto's score? Even the Yamamoto revival project only provides ep 53-98 in audio files. I have heard that Kikuchi's score is kind of a misfit for the Kai.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:39 am

Dep wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:33 am
I was just wondering if there was any way to get Dbz Kai dub 1-98 episodes with Yamamoto's score? Even the Yamamoto revival project only provides ep 53-98 in audio files. I have heard that Kikuchi's score is kind of a misfit for the Kai.
Keep in mind there is no version of episode 96-98 with the Yamamoto score. The first broadcast of those episodes on Fuji Tv in Japan used the Kikuchi replacement score.

On home video in Japan only up to episode 72 got released with Yamamoto's music. Everything after was the Kikuchi score. In the US it was just until episode 52 with the tv broadcast only getting up to around episode 65 before Funimation received word from Toei to start using the Kikuchi replacement track.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:41 am

Dep wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:33 am I was just wondering if there was any way to get Dbz Kai dub 1-98 episodes with Yamamoto's score? Even the Yamamoto revival project only provides ep 53-98 in audio files. I have heard that Kikuchi's score is kind of a misfit for the Kai.
Only episodes 1-52 can be purchased with the Funimation dub and Yamamoto score, but you would need to seek out the old Parts on second hand sites like eBay. Manga UK's first 2 season Blu-Rays contain the score up to episode 39, but 40-52 were only released in the US.

As for episodes 53-98 with the audio synced to Blu-Ray footage, I will say they are out there, but as this site has a strict anti-policy stance no one here will be able to help with that.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Dep

Post by Dep » Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:26 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:41 am Only episodes 1-52 can be purchased with the Funimation dub and Yamamoto score, but you would need to seek out the old Parts on second hand sites like eBay. Manga UK's first 2 season Blu-Rays contain the score up to episode 39, but 40-52 were only released in the US.
I found Kai's 1-4 parts, but was not able to get anything on Manga UK Blu-rays.

This site has a strict anti-policy stance no one here will be able to help with that.
[/quote]

Are we not allowed to post download links or even talk about piracy? Are we allowed to post other legal links? I am new to this site. Can you be more clear, please?
Last edited by Dep on Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:54 am

Dep wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:26 am I found Kai's 1-4 parts, but was not able to get anything on Manga UK Blu-rays.
Amazon still has them but they are becoming harder to find with other online retailers like base.com and Zavvi now only offering the DVDs (which from what I've heard use the Yamamoto score for episodes 1-13 and 27-39 only unlike the Blu-Rays which are consistent from 1-39).
Dep wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:26 amAre we not allowed to post download links or even talk about piracy? Are we allowed to post other legal links? I am new to this site. Can you be more clear, please?
The mods will remove any links shared. The morals of pirating Dragon Ball can be discussed, this has happened before, but that's about it. Apologies if I was unclear.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:45 am

The community guidelines, which everyone agreed to twice prior to registration, are fairly clear regarding piracy. Shouldn't be much in the way of questions on that.

You don't have to pirate the series to watch Kai in Japanese with the Yamamoto score up to episode 96, though. I mean, I guess if you weren't personally recording the episode off of the airwaves in Japan at the time you would have to pirate them, but they existed at a point in time and could be legally accessed. (I guess I don't personally know the rules about time-shifted recording and long-term access with regard to Japanese-specific laws, though.)

And there was the original Japanese Blu-ray release that went up to episode 76 -- that's very clear legal territory. You'd just have to ensure you were purchasing the original releases of those volumes, since I believe they were in fact re-released much later on with the Kikuchi music.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Dep

Post by Dep » Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:24 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:54 am Amazon still has them but.....
Thanks
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:54 am Apologies if I was unclear.
Actually I should be the one to apologise since the forum rules were pretty clear, I didn't pay attention.

Dep

Post by Dep » Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:34 am

VegettoEX wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:45 am The community guidelines, which everyone agreed to twice prior to registration, are fairly clear regarding piracy. Shouldn't be much in the way of questions on that.
I am sorry, the forum rules are pretty clear and concise. It was my responsibility to read them in the first place before venturing into the forum.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:32 pm

If it helps, I personally find the criticism of Kikuchi Kai to be incredibly overblown and it's my preferred way to watch the show. While I certainly miss the variety that Kikuchi Z has and there are weird placements in a handful of scenes, Kikuchi still feels like Dragon Ball to me. Also, I think the Kikuchi Kai placement for the big scene in Episode 47 where
(keeping it in spoiler tags just in case this is your first time with the show) is a legitimate improvement over Yamamoto and there are occasions where they took a little time to be a little creative with the Kikuchi tracks, like in Episode 56 where
There are times where Yamamoto is better placed, sure, and Yamamoto probably pairs a little better with Sumitomo in The Final Chapters, but I don't think Kikuchi Kai is a bad experience whatsoever. Like I said, I prefer the feel Kikuchi gives to the show. I think you'll be fine just picking up the Kai Season sets if you'd rather go with Kai. Z in Japanese is also a great option, of course, though I would at least recommend a filler guide.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:49 pm

OmegaRockman wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:32 pm Snip
The fact there's no legal way to own all of Kai with Yamamoto's music is just more reason to watch the whole thing with Kikuchi's score. Going from Yamamoto in the first 52 episodes to Kikuchi for the last 46 is just as jarring to me as the thought of going from Kikuchi to Johnson to Faulconer if you watch Funi's Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z dubs.

I think my bigger problem with Kikuchi Kai is it takes most of it's music from Z movies 5-9 and while I am a big fan of his score for movie 8 and 9, I always thought movie 5-7 was his weakest Dragon Ball work. I don't think we get any music from the original Dragon Ball in Kai.