What exactly is the power scale for GT and its characters?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

QuakingStar
Regular

What exactly is the power scale for GT and its characters?

Post by QuakingStar » Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:45 am

I'm not sure if this has been done before, but has anybody ever taken the time to figure out the power scaling for these characters? I know base Goku literally destroyed an entire dimension because he was trapped there, and we know that Super Baby Vegeta 1 had the strongest ki ever felt up until that point.(SS Vegito and Buuhan were the strongest Ki's before that?)

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Re: What exactly is the power scale for GT and its characters?

Post by Hugo Boss » Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:49 am

I suppose you are asking if there is Strength Checker thread similar to this, no? If yes, then unfortunately no. But it would be a nice addition for both GT and Super.

QuakingStar
Regular

Post by QuakingStar » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:59 am

Hugo Boss wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:49 am I suppose you are asking if there is Strength Checker thread similar to this, no? If yes, then unfortunately no. But it would be a nice addition for both GT and Super.
Mhm, that would have probably been something like what I was hoping for.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:42 pm

Isn't the general consensus that base Goku is around SS3 level from Z?

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:33 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:42 pm Isn't the general consensus that base Goku is around SS3 level from Z?
I think you could even say he is way above that, considering he was trashing Rild. He told Trunks and Pan that Rild was even more powerful than Majin Boo before they started fighting. Majin Boo was more or less on equal terms with SS3 Goku until the form started to take a great toll on him.

Unless you think Goku is somehow predicting on how powerful Rild would be at his strongest, there is evidence that he was stronger than SS3 even before absorbing stuff.

QuakingStar
Regular

Post by QuakingStar » Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:33 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:42 pm Isn't the general consensus that base Goku is around SS3 level from Z?
What gives that impression? I thought he scaled higher than that tbh.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:10 pm

Sorry for the late reply, guys.
Hugo Boss wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:33 pm
I think you could even say he is way above that, considering he was trashing Rild. He told Trunks and Pan that Rild was even more powerful than Majin Boo before they started fighting. Majin Boo was more or less on equal terms with SS3 Goku until the form started to take a great toll on him.

Unless you think Goku is somehow predicting on how powerful Rild would be at his strongest, there is evidence that he was stronger than SS3 even before absorbing stuff.
The comparison is vague enough for Rildo to have been compared to any Buu form. It could be SS3 level Kid Buu, it could be the original Fat Buu who was a notch below SS3, it could be Mr. Buu who is slightly above SS2 and the only one that is still around, I doubt it's one of the Super Buu forms, though.
A few things make me think it's Mr. Buu: not saying MAJIN Buu, just Buu, like when they refer to the good guy.
Pan actually putting him down, when she's never shown to have that type of power or the typical rage boosts her father had, but it isn't a dealbreaker.
And the nonnecessity of having, that early on, power levels that high, considering only Super Vegeta Baby will be surpassing Buuhan or Vegito, and that the Rildo fight had so much escalation and it ends later on with a SS3 Goku that will be below Super Vegeta Baby/Buuhan/Vegito, when he should be up there just with SS, but not even SS3 can contend with a weaker form of Baby.

QuakingStar wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:33 pm
What gives that impression? I thought he scaled higher than that tbh.
Mostly what I answered to Hugo
The Buu comparison being unclear, Pan doing something she never did before or after, the plot not needing people that strong that soon, and Goku capping way below Buuhan/Vegito by the time he fights regular Vegeta Baby as a SS3, who was taking his blows like a champ.

Also, the fact that I was never too fond of changing the SS multipliers :P, but I guess there isn't another option, because I do have base Goku as strong as his greatest Z form, yet the boost of his SS forms isn't taking him to where they should, as a SS3 he is weaker than a guy that needed another form to surpass Buuhan.

TL;DR: I think base Goku is around SS3 from Z, and with SS he gets on some high Z tier... with SS3 he barely gets any stronger and is still considerably below Z's greatest power.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:43 pm

I would like to add for context what Goku says about Rild:

Episode 19
Time: Roughly 5m
Context: Rild arrives at the Saiyans' spaceship; Goku feels his ki again
Goku: “The universe certainly is a big place, huh? To think that I should come across someone with a Ki as large as yours... It's even greater than Boo's.”

Goku’s first sentence is the usual “there is always a stronger guy out there” theme that Dragon Ball operates under, so for me it’s a very strong indication that Rild is stronger than anyone that Goku has faced before.

If we work around the idea that the TV anime has a slight different interpretation of how Boo’s forms compare to each other, you could probably say Goku was talking about Pure Boo, as it was considered his most formidable version when they fought on Supreme Kai realm. Or if you think the strongest is with Gohan absorbed, that works the same as well.

Anyway, I don’t think there is a need to be super specific about which form of Boo Goku is talking about, because the idea seems to be hyping up Rild as the ideal opponent to make Goku test the upper class of strength he achieved through these 15 years of training, even if ended up making his base form feel too absurdly strong.

About Pan knocking Rild down immediately after Goku praised his strength. I think it was just for comic relief, he actually didn’t even feel a thing.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:59 pm

I disagree, to me it’s more along the lines of wow you are really strong, even stronger than somebody really strong I’ve met before, not even saying Majin bolsters that for me. That is still a hell of a comment, no matter what Buu he is talking about.

I don’t think there’s any need for base Goku or Rildo to trump Z, specially when Super Vegeta Baby 1 is the guy that gets the indisputable comment of being the strongest ever, while Rildo only got a stronger than Buu, and there were plenty of Buus.
He is later seen giving Gohan some trouble, who wasn’t much of a thing before, according to the main writer, and getting oneshot by Majuub. That’s why I tend to lump his first form around SS3-ish tier, if not, then everybody is Buuhan/Vegito tier, and it would be the GT equivalent of everybody being SSB tier in DBS :lol:

With base Vegeta Baby stomping SS3 Goku, and the implication he needed another form to be the top dog ever, I'm going with only Baby crossing that threshold.
He forced Goku into SS3, which would already put him above Rildo, but yet his next form prompted the strongest ever comment, meaning to me Rildo wasn't quite there.
To me it goes Fat Buu/Rildo/Kid Buu(in any order)>base Goku(Z-SS3) > SS Goku (Ultimate Gohan)> Metal Rildo (Buutenks)> SS3 Goku> Buuhan> Vegeta Baby> Super Vegito >Super Baby 1.

But I'll concede it's vague enough for one to interpret it as one pleases to.

IIRC, Koyama not that long ago, said Buuhan was the strongest Buu, and not Kid Buu making that ripper30 dude’s fight futile, so apparently a big chunk of the fandom had just misinterpreted the entire arc.

QuakingStar
Regular

Post by QuakingStar » Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:20 pm

Baby Vegeta was using SS when he fought SS3 Goku. When he went into SB1 which is kind of implied to be Baby Vegeta's Tufflized SS2 equivalent, he was above Vegito to the degree it shocked Goku.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:08 pm

I just think it would be a little counterintuitive for Goku to imply General Rild is only stronger than a random form of Boo while he is mostly asserting his new strongest opponent. Seems rather an over-rationalization. It’s like saying Goku is talking about 1st form Freeza or 3rd form Cell whenever he is spitting those kind of comparisons. Logically, Goku didn’t say General Rild was stronger than Super Vegetto, but also there is no issue if someone wants to believe so. Base Goku being stronger than Boo probably means Super Saiyan Goku may have surpassed Super Vegetto, and by extension Metal Rild as well.

For instance, I don’t think there is a good reason to think Goku is even trying to draw a comparison between Baby and Vegetto in their fight. The strongest in the universe in that moment was Goku himself and he still believed SS3 should have been enough to defeat Baby, he is no fool. It was only a misfortune his body couldn’t sustain the form, sort of like what happened with instant movement. Considering what Baby says before transforming, he likely still had the idea Goku in his prime was the strongest Saiyan, if not he wouldn’t aim to surpass his own powerlevel. I find that to be more believable than pursuing an abstract being that couldn’t even be realistically there to fight him.