List of Dragon Ball "Pérolas"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tian
Advanced Regular

List of Dragon Ball "Pérolas"

Post by Tian » Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:29 pm

The following is a list of Pérolas found in the European Portuguese dubbing of Dragon Ball media.

In case you're wondering what's a Pérola:
In literal terms, Pérola is Portuguese for pearl.

In figurative terms, Pérola is also used to describe "something curious or interesting"

And from that figure of speech, the Portuguese Dragon Ball fanbase gave the name Pérola to all the local references, jokes and comical situations added in the European Portuguese dubbing of the franchise.
And about their origins:
There are two different versions about the origins of the pérolas:

- The first one, according to Henrique Feist (Goku's VA), is that when they were recording, some dialogues turned out to be shorter than they were after being translated from French (like most of Europe, the source version was the French AB dub) to Portuguese, so it was decided to make some adaptations (the pérolas themselves) for lip sync reasons.

- The second one, according to João Loy (Vegeta's VA) is that SIC requested the dubbing staff to record the dub to be more family friendly in order to tone down the violence.

It should be also noted that António "Tó" Sémedo (the late voice director of the franchise's dubbing until GT and Narrator's VA) was mainly a comical actor. So it wouldn't be weird to suggest that background of his played a role in the dub's localization.
[TBD]
Saiyan Saga
When Vegeta is about to fight Goku in the desert area, he says the following:
Vegeta: "Muito bem, será melhor que o Big Show SIC"
Translation: "Very well, it will be better than Big Show SIC"
Explanation: Big Show SIC was a talk show hosted by João Baião, Jorge Gabriel and José Figueiras, that ran from 1994 to 2001 on SIC, the TV channel that aired the Dragon Ball franchise in Portugal until the episode 104 of Dragon Ball Super because SIC wasn't longer interested to air the franchise and Biggs eventually picked up the broadcasting rights.

Planet Namek Saga
When Vegeta is hitting Ginyu (before he switched bodies with Goku), he says the following:
Vegeta: "Ay, um-do-li-tá!"
Explanation: A Portuguese children's song usually sung before starting to play games.

Androids & Cell Saga
When Goku is about to teleport from Kami's lookout, he says the following:
Goku: "Agora silencio que vou a cantar o fado."
Translation: "Now be quiet I am going to sing fado."
Explanation: Fado is a music genre from Portugal. Its origins date back to 1820s in the capital city, Lisbon. 
The pérola also makes reference to musicians when they demand their audience to be quiet, so they could start their show.

Majin Buu Saga
When Videl is being brutally beaten up by Spopovich, the Tenkaichi Būdokai announcer starts saying the following:
Announcer: "CALMA VIDEL" (x3)
Translation: "CALM DOWN VIDEL"
Explanation: A weird attempt to tone down a brutal scene.

When Yaakon shows up for the first time, Goku says the following
Goku: "É a Miss Portugal '97!"
Translation: It's Miss Portugal '97!
Explanation: Random comparision between Yaakon and Icília Berenguel.

During the 25th Tenkaichi Būdokai events, there's a little scene with a man of the tournament staff dishwashing and singing the following:
"Água fria, da ribeira"
Translation: "Cold water, from the stream"
Explanation: A verse (0:30) from Aldeia de Roupa Branca , sung by Beatriz Costa
[TBD]
Battle of Gods Saga
In the Kaioshin planet, when the Elder Kaioshin hands Shin a magazine with a topless girl on the cover, he says the following:
Elder Kaioshin: "Toma, é Mária Leal"
Translation: "Take it, it's Maria Leal"
Explanation: Maria Leal is a Portuguese singer who became known after she sang her first single "Dialetos de Ternura" on TVI's show, Você Na TV! (You on TV!) and her (only) resemblance with the girl on Elder Kaioshin's magazine is that they both are blondes.

Universe 6 Saga
When Vegeta goes Super Saiyan Blue during his match against Kyabe, he says the following:
Vegeta: "Super Guerreiro Azul Wanda Stuart"
Translation: "Super Saiyan Blue Wanda Stuart"
Explanation: Wanda Stuart is a Portuguese singer, TV host and producer who has her hair dyed blue.
If you feel there's something missing, outdated or wrong, don't hesitate to tell me. :)

EDIT #1: Added another concept of the word "Pérola" and expanded more about the "Fado" pérola (thanks Luso Saiyan)
EDIT #2: Added "Big Show" pérola on Saiyan Saga and "Calma Videl" pérola on Majin Buu Saga.
EDIT # 3: Added origins of the pérolas.
Last edited by Tian on Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: List of Dragon Ball "Pérolas"

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:12 pm

Thanks for the info Tian.

I always wondered about the whole "Miss Portugal '97" thing in the Portuguese dub, but it's interesting to contextualise it like that. Kinda like how in the English release of Xenoverse 2 and Funimation's dub of Super Hit's "time to make the donuts" line was a reference to some 80s Dunkin Donuts ad campaign. These dub changes are inevitably divisive but I think its important these references are made available for those that don't catch them.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:50 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:12 pm Thanks for the info Tian.

I always wondered about the whole "Miss Portugal '97" thing in the Portuguese dub, but it's interesting to contextualise it like that. Kinda like how in the English release of Xenoverse 2 and Funimation's dub of Super Hit's "time to make the donuts" line was a reference to some 80s Dunkin Donuts ad campaign. These dub changes are inevitably divisive but I think its important these references are made available for those that don't catch them.
You're welcome :)

And yes, I wanted non-portuguese people to have a more precise impression and understanding of the Euro Portuguese dub.

For example, my fellow Latin Americans know this dub more for the "weird" voices than the pérolas.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:59 pm

Tian wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:29 pmThe following is a list of Pérolas found in the European Portuguese dubbing of Dragon Ball media.

In case you're wondering what's a Pérola:

In literal terms, Pérola is Portuguese for pearl.

Now, in Dragon Ball fan community terms, Pérola is a nickname given to all the local references, jokes and comical situations added in the European Portuguese dubbing of the franchise.
Pérola is also a figure of speech for something curious or interesting. It's exactly the same as nugget in english. That's why these little inside jokes and references are called pérolas.
Tian wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:29 pmAndroids & Cell Saga
When Goku is about to teleport from Kami's lookout, he says the following:
Goku: "Agora silencio que vou a cantar o fado."
Translation: "Now be quiet I am going to sing fado."
Explanation: Fado is a music genre from Portugal. Its origins date back to 1820s in the capital city, Lisbon.
It also demands silence from the audience, hence the expression.

MrSatan2099
Patreon Supporter

Post by MrSatan2099 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:08 pm

Very cool information Tian! Thank you for providing this.
I sometimes (and ignorantly so) get tunnel vision and only focus on the Japanese and US product, crazy to think just how many new things there are to learn about other localizations.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:10 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:59 pm Pérola is also a figure of speech for something curious or interesting. It's exactly the same as nugget in english. That's why these little inside jokes and references are called pérolas.
Oh, so it's like here in Latin America, where we use "joyita" (literally, little jewel) for a minor thing that stands out from something big or unknown. That's interesting.

Thanks! I'll add it to the topic.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:23 pm

I was familiar with a lot of the ones in the three original animes, but I didn't realize this practice continued into Super. Thanks for sharing, Tian! :lol:
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:46 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:23 pm I was familiar with a lot of the ones in the three original animes, but I didn't realize this practice continued into Super. Thanks for sharing, Tian! :lol:
You're welcome :)

About Super, there were more pérolas I wanted to add but I didn't recall how or when they were exactly said like the following ones:
- I do recall Krillin blaming Benfica Football Club ("É culpa do Benfica!") on Universe 6 saga but don't recall the exact moment it was said.
- I also recall Kyabe mentioning that Kale looked like Tarzan Taborda (a late Portuguese wrestler) on Universal Survival saga but don't recall the exact dialogue...

I also know that in DBS Broly, they made a Fortnite reference but it's been a long time since I watched the movie's dub to recall the context.

So, if I manage to recall the exact context of those pérolas or one of our portuguese Kanzenshuu friends reminds me, I'll add them for sure.

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:46 am

And yes, I wanted non-portuguese people to have a more precise impression and understanding of the Euro Portuguese dub.

For example, my fellow Latin Americans know this dub more for the "weird" voices than the pérolas.
That is very nice of you, I know there might plenty in latin american version. Ironically right now I can only remember the ones for Pokemon XD I wonder if someone has done something like this before for DB, otherwise I feel obligated to do so now :lolno:

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:01 pm

Saiya6Cit wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:46 am

That is very nice of you, I know there might plenty in latin american version. Ironically right now I can only remember the ones for Pokemon XD I wonder if someone has done something like this before for DB, otherwise I feel obligated to do so now :lolno:
Thank you!

And oh yeah, I forgot our own dub had their "pérolas" too. The ones I can remember at this moment are Vegeta claiming that Cell didn't only steal his cells but his catchphrases as well (0:02) when Cell says "All of you are insects" and Piccolo saying "I may be green but that doesn't mean I'm not mature (0:34)" when questioned by the tournament's staff.