Was Turles given less investment?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Geraldo
Beyond Newbie

Was Turles given less investment?

Post by Geraldo » Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:56 pm

The guy is yet another evil version of Goku, there was also Captain Ginyu's body switching ability shown around the same time, with a Piccolo cape; while the characters designer/s could have drew a totally new and distinctive design. No need for him and his crew to have neither battle armors nor scouters.

His second biggest flaw in my opinion is that his new Super Dragon Ball Heroes "evolved from" is just a rip off of Mystic/Ultimate Gohan with Raditz-esque hairdo.

I also dislike how he - like any other canonical villain *post Frieza* - showed up on Earth for his beat down rather than introduced and fought on another planet or galaxy or how it wasn't explained how he got the Tree of Might.

* - edit.
** - I'm fully aware of the Crusher Corps' biographies of the DBZ movie 3 pamphlet, ever since it got translated into English.
Last edited by Geraldo on Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Was Turles given less investment?

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:11 pm

"Yet another" He was the first evil Goku. While I think the in-universe rational for their similar apperance is pretty dumb the idea that he's who Goku would have or could have been if he hadn't bumped his head was fine. They didn't have to make them look similar but it helps drive the point home

Geraldo wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:56 pm

I also dislike how he - like any other canonical villain - showed up on Earth for his beat down rather than introduced and fought on another planet or galaxy or how it wasn't explained how he got the Tree of Might.
What would be the point of any of that? Not everything needs to be explained or elaborated on in every little detail. Showing any of that would have felt like padding in a movie that already has enough of that

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:21 pm

There was significant "investment"... on the backstory side of things, none of which we got to see! Tullece and his henchmen all got such rich backstories developed for them, and the fact that it was relegated to pamphlet material is criminal (pun intended).

I think there's enough in there that they could expand it into a full little like "event" sort of thing with maybe five episodes: two-ish for the backstory stuff that never got integrated/adapted (I'd love to see Tullece breaking Amond out of prison!), and three-ish for the movie that we DID get (similar to the syndication broadcast adaptation in America).

Of all the random mooks and baddies we got in the ancillary stuff, I feel the DBZ movie 3 crew is the best suited bunch worthy of this expanded adaptation material.

As for "they show up on Earth and fight instead of elsewhere in space"... I mean, our heroes that we follow throughout the entire series live on Earth, so of course that's where their primary conflicts are going to be. We DO get off-planet for the Freeza stuff, but even then it's still ultimately tied back to their own home planet (need to resurrect their Earth friends).

There are undoubtably other conflicts happening out there (see: filler material like Arlia, or later story stuff involving the Galactic Patrol), but Earth is where the story and characters of Dragon Ball are housed, so Earth is what we're going to see the most of.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

MrSatan2099
Patreon Supporter

Post by MrSatan2099 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:18 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:11 pm "Yet another" He was the first evil Goku. While I think the in-universe rational for their similar apperance is pretty dumb the idea that he's who Goku would have or could have been if he hadn't bumped his head was fine. They didn't have to make them look similar but it helps drive the point home
In retrospect it's amazing that Funimation didn't take advantage of the ambiguity and make him an evil twin/clone/etc in the original television dub. Maybe he could have been genetically engineered by Bardock the "brilliant scientist" haha.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:58 pm

I really hated the whole "OH WE ARE BOTH LOW CLASS AND WE ALL LOOK ALIKE" explanation for the similarities.

They could've said he is a distant relative, some sort of cousin, or go nuts with Bardock's characterization and make him the father of many assholes all over planet Geets.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:21 pm

Both Raditz and Vegeta already represented an "anti-Goku" design without having to be exact doppelgangers, so that always made Tullece slightly redundant in my eyes. What gives Tullece more of a unique wrinkle is his backstory of recruiting this motley crew of space pirates after many violent adventures in much the same way that Goku gathered the Z-Warriors, though none of the Crusher Corps are developed much in the actual film.

Of all the strange new forms introduced in Dragon Ball Heroes, Tullece's is one of my favourites simply because he was well overdue for any kind of transformation. Yeah, it makes him look even more like Raditz (which is referenced in the latest arc, funnily enough) but I couldn't stand that he was somehow sparring with Super Saiyan Blue in his base form before they introduced it.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:45 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:58 pm I really hated the whole "OH WE ARE BOTH LOW CLASS AND WE ALL LOOK ALIKE" explanation for the similarities.
I always took it more as them both being a certain rare type of low-class Saiyan rather than "all low-class Saiyans look alike" ("We're both low-class Saiyans and there aren't that many types like us").

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:06 pm

As a kid, I liked the entire movie and Tullece. As I got a bit older, my fondness faded. I understand what it was: a retreading of the Saiyan arc except with more baddies!

Tullece didn't get more powerful from turning into an Ōzaru, so he had his fruit. It's alright.

It did bug me that he was a Saiyan and that he did look like Goku. As previously mentioned, they didn't need a literal Goku clone to get the point across. I also don't understand why they'd look alike, when it was clear that not all low-class Saiyans resembled each other.

Honestly, I think that my favorite version of this movie is the original Funimation broadcast dub because I just like the vocal performances (not to say that they were accurate).

Tullece as a character? He was a throwaway villain in a 45-minute (or so) movie--he didn't need more fleshing out. The idea of the tree was a bit bizarre, but it was different, which isn't necessarily bad.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:31 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:58 pm I really hated the whole "OH WE ARE BOTH LOW CLASS AND WE ALL LOOK ALIKE" explanation for the similarities.

They could've said he is a distant relative, some sort of cousin, or go nuts with Bardock's characterization and make him the father of many assholes all over planet Geets.
I was always fond of the idea of just making Tullece straightforwardly into Karakrotto, but from an alternate timeline/history where he never hit his head and lost his memory and wiped out Earth and its inhabitants before resuming work for Freeza's empire.

The basic idea would be something like: in an alternate history, Kakarotto never hit his head or lost his memory and accomplished his mission of eradicating Earth's inhabitants. He spends his life growing up serving Freeza and his empire, and accumulating his Movie 3 crew along the way throughout the years (via the backstories given in the pamphlet), and somewhere along the way they find and obtain the Shinseiju seeds.

Seeing the power from the tree's fruit as a means of giving him the edge he needs to defeat Freeza and assume control of his empire for himself, Kakarotto only needs to find a suitable planet to grow it on. Earth would've been ideal, but he'd already wiped it clean of all life when he was a baby. But as fate would have it, while searching for another suitable planet to grow the tree on, his ship gets caught in some kind of dimensional wormhole which takes him and his crew to our timeline/history where he'd hit his head as a kid and lost his memory and became the Goku we all know and the Earth is still preserved and teeming with life and energy for the tree to consume and grow.

Cue the rest of the movie as we know it from there.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:01 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:31 pmI was always fond of the idea of just making Tullece straightforwardly into Karakrotto
*Leans forward in fujoshi*

Yeah, same, definitely, yeah!
Kunzait_83 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:31 pmbut from an alternate timeline/history where he never hit his head and lost his memory and wiped out Earth and its inhabitants before resuming work for Freeza's empire.
Goddamn it.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:26 pm

As a Tullece fan, I never felt he was poorly used.

Sure, it would have been cool that they could have shown a bit more about his and his squad origins like Vegetto EX said but what we've seen in the movie was enough for me. Enough for considering him one of my favourite antagonists of the whole franchise.

Also, the guy got a pretty darn good unit on Dokkan Battle (Extreme AGL UR Tullece) which is not only one of the best "Movie Bosses" category leads but an excellent tank and good support as well. A really versatile unit.