Bora and Upa - Wasted Potential?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Geraldo
Beyond Newbie

Bora and Upa - Wasted Potential?

Post by Geraldo » Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:10 am

Were Bora and Upa taken out the storylines too early?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Bora and Upa - Wasted Potential?

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:14 am

I would have loved to see Bora in the Twenty-Second Tenka'ichi Budoukai, perhaps as Gokuu's opponent instead of Panputto?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:19 am

JulieYBM wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:14 am I would have loved to see Bora in the Twenty-Second Tenka'ichi Budoukai, perhaps as Gokuu's opponent instead of Panputto?
Heh, didn't Bora participate in World Tournament in one of the DB movies? But if I recall correctly, it ended the same way for him though alas :(

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:24 am

Xeogran wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:19 am
JulieYBM wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:14 am I would have loved to see Bora in the Twenty-Second Tenka'ichi Budoukai, perhaps as Gokuu's opponent instead of Panputto?
Heh, didn't Bora participate in World Tournament in one of the DB movies? But if I recall correctly, it ended the same way for him though alas :(
Yeah that was the “Mystical Adventure” retelling, one of my favorites personally.

But no, their story was wrapped quite nicely at the end of Baba’s tournament. Upa never showed any hidden martial arts prowess so there’s nothing really left to do with them.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:34 am

goku the krump dancer wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:24 amBut no, their story was wrapped quite nicely at the end of Baba’s tournament.
Agreed. While I think it would have been cool if they were at the 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai, I don't think it's any sort of 'great missed opportunity' that they weren't.

Been a while since I've seen DB Movie 3, but quoting the movie guide:
Bora decides to enter the tournament in hopes that, if he wins, he can have an audience with the emperor and convince him to stop harassing his people.
So while he entered one tournament in a story, his reasons for doing so wouldn't exactly map well onto entering the 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai. He's the protector of a holy land, not someone seeking to test his martial prowess as are those the story follows. So there's hardly any sort of 'unfulfilled promise' with him not having entered the Budokai. Not every character needs to have a big role in a story. Some characters are allowed to be minor/side characters.

Wizard Sesame
Beyond Newbie

Post by Wizard Sesame » Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:36 pm

I still believe Ubb should have been Upa's son.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:53 pm

Wizard Sesame wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:36 pm I still believe Ubb should have been Upa's son.
Goku: I got your dad to come back to life so now I'm taking your kid, Baaaiiiii

Wrigglything
Beyond Newbie

Post by Wrigglything » Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:25 pm

I'd at least like to see a reunion episode with the Dragon gang post Freeza saga at least. Sure, there's something like that in GT and Z did have Toriyama design a grown up Upa, but at least half an episode's worth of content would have been more than satisfying to me at least.

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:01 pm

It is a bit sad that Goku and the cast are in the Karin Tower location so many times without ever bothering to visit Upa and Bora.

I definitely would've preferred having Upa at the 22nd tournament instead of Panput. After the Baba stuff, Upa seemed to have found some courage and motivation inspired by Goku, but that never went anywhere. Sure, it'd be a stretch that he got that strong within three years trained by Bora, but those power jumps happen all the time. Characters are always as strong as the story requires them to be. No biggie. Also with the whole "avenging Tao Pai-Pai" thing at that tournament, Upa and Bora have some history there too so that could've made the cast and storylines even more inter-connected that arc.

The problem comes after that; if Upa remained part of the gang, he'd probably just end up sidelined along with the Yamchas and Lunches of the group.
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.