DBZ Blu Ray Slipcover UK good release?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SaiyanLives

DBZ Blu Ray Slipcover UK good release?

Post by SaiyanLives » Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:30 pm

Hey guys,

I'm new here but not to dragon ball :)
I'm also from europe and i saw that mangaUK released 2 versions of dbz
The slipcover ones and the steelbooks i believe that both are 4:3..
Is this a good release?
I kno perfect release wont ever happen and dragon boxes are too expansive and hard to find in eu also arnt the dragon boxes still a 480p image?
I kno it doesnt have dnr so it has more lines/detail but its still a 480p picture no?

Also how does this new release compare to level sets since thats 4:3 and blu ray as well hmm....

Just for Fun of it do u guys prefer steelbooks or slipcovers? Lol
I'm leaning towards slip,cause steelbooks dent easily and rust?

Anyway I'm happy that in eu yoy can finally buy this stuff for the longest time we had nothing no home releases,

Also i see mangauk has a super boxset as well maybe ill get that eventually too,
But first its Z :)

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: DBZ Blu Ray Slipcover UK good release?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:02 pm

The standard Blu-Rays with slipcases and steelbooks are identical, both repackages of Funimation's 30th anniversary discs.

A lot here will say they are not worth it and the image is too watercoloury, but I say if you want to own Z and support it go for the Manga UK BDs. They offer decent picture quality, are shelf friendly, with nice spine art as you can see here:

I've owned Dragon Bixes 5-7 and sold them because it would have been too expensive to collect them all. They look beautiful, but I wouldn't recommend them for the price they currently fetch.

The levels are better because the original film grain is intact, but they only cover the first 34 episodes, so if you can track them down and want them as a collectable go for it, otherwise for the rest of the series the Manga UK BDs will be fine.

The steelbooks are nice, but becoming harder to find, and season 1 has been out of stock for a while, potentially out of print, so they may not be practical.

I sat go for the BDs with slips. They won't go out of print, keep an eye out for Zavvi sales too, they often discount Dragon Ball releases.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

SaiyanLives

Post by SaiyanLives » Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:09 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:02 pm The standard Blu-Rays with slipcases and steelbooks are identical, both repackages of Funimation's 30th anniversary discs.

A lot here will say they are not worth it and the image is too watercoloury, but I say if you want to own Z and support it go for the Manga UK BDs. They offer decent picture quality, are shelf friendly, with nice spine art as you can see here:

The levels are better because the original film grain is intact, but they only cover the first 34 episodes, so if you can track them down and want them as a collectable go for it, otherwise for the rest of the series the Manga UK BDs will be fine.

The steelbooks are nice, but becoming harder to find, and season 1 has been out of stock for a while, potentially out of print, so they may not be practical.

I sat go for the BDs with slips. They won't go out of print, keep an eye out for Zavvi sales too, they often discount Dragon Ball releases.
Sweet thx for the reply i already accepted that a perfect release wont happen,ill def get the reg bd slipcover ones i think i prefer them over the steels anyway I've been watching unboxings and almost everyone has dents lol also the spine looks cool of the regulars, would u say its slightly worse then the level sets? Or those still miles ahead? To bad they canceled those i guess if u want the full show in 4:3 this is our only option?

What about dragon ball,gt,kai will they do more releases for them? Most of those are still dvd only right?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:56 pm

SaiyanLives wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:09 pm
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:02 pm The standard Blu-Rays with slipcases and steelbooks are identical, both repackages of Funimation's 30th anniversary discs.

Sweet thx for the reply i already accepted that a perfect release wont happen,ill def get the reg bd slipcover ones i think i prefer them over the steels anyway I've been watching unboxings and almost everyone has dents lol also the spine looks cool of the regulars, would u say its slightly worse then the level sets? Or those still miles ahead? To bad they canceled those i guess if u want the full show in 4:3 this is our only option?

What about dragon ball,gt,kai will they do more releases for them? Most of those are still dvd only right?
I would say the Manga UK BDs are slightly worse than the level sets. It's a drop in quality, but far from being the unwatchable garbage a lot of fans claim it is.

And yes, in English-speaking territories original Dragon Ball and GT are only available on DVD. Selecta Vision, AB Video and Crunchyroll have released Dragon Ball on Blu-Ray in Spain, France and Germany so it may come here eventually. GT will probably be released on Blu-Ray at some point too but it may take a while as Selecta Vision are currently releasing Z and have yet to get to GT in Spain, but I think its an inevitability.

Kai is available on Blu-Ray, and the Manga UK release is a good option, especially if you want the original score up to episode 39, they are becoming harder to find, but if you don't mind used copies they can be found in CeX relatively cheap.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Platypus

Post by Platypus » Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:24 pm

Hello,

I have the full Blu-Ray set shown in the picture above, and I must say I'm pretty happy with it. I know it's not the perfect release, but I can live with it. At least it's in 4:3 and the image quality is good enough for me. Each release also comes with a poster and 4 art cards, which is nice to have. The only thing that annoys me is that the title cards and credits are still in English if you pick Japanese, but that's a minor complaint.

SaiyanLives

Post by SaiyanLives » Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:34 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:56 pm
SaiyanLives wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:09 pm

I would say the Manga UK BDs are slightly worse than the level sets. It's a drop in quality, but far from being the unwatchable garbage a lot of fans claim it is.

And yes, in English-speaking territories original Dragon Ball and GT are only available on DVD. Selecta Vision, AB Video and Crunchyroll have released Dragon Ball on Blu-Ray in Spain, France and Germany so it may come here eventually. GT will probably be released on Blu-Ray at some point too but it may take a while as Selecta Vision are currently releasing Z and have yet to get to GT in Spain, but I think its an inevitability.

Kai is available on Blu-Ray, and the Manga UK release is a good option, especially if you want the original score up to episode 39, they are becoming harder to find, but if you don't mind used copies they can be found in CeX relatively cheap.
I got the mangaUK blu rays on the way i cant wait to watch dbz again ha and going to start collecting as much db media as i can lol
Streaming services dont have dbz / kai yet in my country (netherlands) so i pretty much have to buy it all to watch it
Some people say you could download the dragon boxes since its not being sold no more its technically not stealing but I'm still against that and even scared to do so ,so ill just buy it besides looks nice in the cabinet haha

Yea i noticed kai is super hard to find at least the blu rays why is that? Are they OOP? Hope not
Hope those mangauk never go oop either
Zavvi has all of kai but its dvd i dont want dvd if theres a blu ray =/
But since ill own Z now maybe ill forget about kai for now and go for maybe DB or super next
Thanks for the info excited to start watching again