Why isn’t Toriyama’s designs being shown anymore?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Aim
Banned

Why isn’t Toriyama’s designs being shown anymore?

Post by Aim » Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:10 am

We know he drew the designs for Gohan Beast and Piccolo and Pan, but we still haven’t seen a glimpse of what they look like drawn from him. Is there a reason why we don’t get these tidbits from Tori anymore?

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Re: Why isn’t Toriyama’s designs being shown anymore?

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:09 am

Because there's no need of the publich to see them nor the production team have any reason to show them.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:26 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:09 am Because there's no need of the publich to see them nor the production team have any reason to show them.
There’s no reason to publish character sheets either except for curious fans, they should just let us see them.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:35 pm

Aim wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:10 am We know he drew the designs for Gohan Beast and Piccolo and Pan, but we still haven’t seen a glimpse of what they look like drawn from him. Is there a reason why we don’t get these tidbits from Tori anymore?
I have the same question. They haven't even shared his designs for the Broly movie.

jjbgood
Not-So-Newbie

Post by jjbgood » Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:12 am

There were posters of some toriyama designs. I recall Orange Piccolo with red belt (as it differs from the movie)...
HOST AND FOUNDER OF THE GERMAN DRAGON BALL PODCAST "KAMEHAMEHA".
ADVISOR FOR THE GERMAN DUB OF DRAGON BALL SUPER.
FAN FOR OVER 20 YEARS.
https://kame-hame-ha.de/

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:46 am

jjbgood wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:12 am There were posters of some toriyama designs. I recall Orange Piccolo with red belt (as it differs from the movie)...
Can you show us?

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:26 am

Aim wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:46 am
jjbgood wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:12 am There were posters of some toriyama designs. I recall Orange Piccolo with red belt (as it differs from the movie)...
Can you show us?
Not that guy, but I recall this is the one we were shown(link is to dbwiki)
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/drago ... 0625103544

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:48 am

dbgtFO wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:26 am
Aim wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:46 am
Can you show us?
Not that guy, but I recall this is the one we were shown(link is to dbwiki)
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/drago ... 0625103544
I think it’s ridiculous that they won’t show Toriyama illustrations, actually insane

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:31 am

I wish we saw some of his designs for the Broly film. It’s kind of crazy that we haven’t actually seen Toriyama’s take on Broly (besides his old design from the 90s). I could’ve sworn that there was an interview with a producer during Broly’s promotion saying that they would show off Toriyama’s work for the film. Never happened.

Thankfully they’ve shown off some of his work for Super Hero, like the Gammas, Karin, Dende and an illustration of Piccolo’s home. I’m hoping that we’ll see more of his work in the art book that comes with the 4K steel book of Super Hero.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:08 pm

Pictures for the upcoming japanese home release indicate that we'll probably get the designs with the special edition booklet.

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/BSTD-20692

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:27 am

Perhaps there actually aren't any Toriyama designs and is his part behind the scenes more limited than we think.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:09 pm

Jord wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:27 am Perhaps there actually aren't any Toriyama designs and is his part behind the scenes more limited than we think.
No, it's been confirmed that he contributed with plenty of designs and illustrations, but they have been very coy about showing them.

They've revealed these Toriyama designs so far:
They've said that they changed the design from the Red Ribbon base from the design Toriyama delivered. Probably like they changed Beerus planet in Battle of Gods.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:17 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:31 am I wish we saw some of his designs for the Broly film. It’s kind of crazy that we haven’t actually seen Toriyama’s take on Broly (besides his old design from the 90s). I could’ve sworn that there was an interview with a producer during Broly’s promotion saying that they would show off Toriyama’s work for the film. Never happened.

Thankfully they’ve shown off some of his work for Super Hero, like the Gammas, Karin, Dende and an illustration of Piccolo’s home. I’m hoping that we’ll see more of his work in the art book that comes with the 4K steel book of Super Hero.
That’s true! We also aren’t getting as much insider knowledge to scripts. IIRC, Fused Zamasu was meant to be on par with two SSGSS’. Would love to see how Toriyama drew Gohan’s Beast form and whether his take on SSGSS has changed and he’s making them more muscular all of a sudden.

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:01 pm

Maybe they are going to save them for a super exclusive super duper trooper mega cosmic magical Blue Ray release of DBS Super Heroe movie including Toriyama's Art sketches.... similar to starwars clone wars series did with their DVD boxes... oh wait they are not doing it? well, they should.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:47 am

Luso Saiyan wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:09 pmThey've revealed these Toriyama designs so far:
In addition to these, the official site just posted Toriyama's design of Pan in her school uniform, as one of their 24h exclusive designs from their Toriyama Archives series:

https://en.dragon-ball-official.com/news/01_1510.html

Nothing new, it was part of a past presentation promoting the new movie, but it's the first time they posted it online.

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:10 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:47 am
Luso Saiyan wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:09 pmThey've revealed these Toriyama designs so far:
In addition to these, the official site just posted Toriyama's design of Pan in her school uniform, as one of their 24h exclusive designs from their Toriyama Archives series:

Nothing new, it was part of a past presentation promoting the new movie, but it's the first time they posted it online.
Toriyama draws digitally now, what a time to be alive.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:19 pm

He's been doing it for more than a decade, I believe.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:20 am

Saiya6Cit wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:10 pm
Luso Saiyan wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:47 am

Toriyama draws digitally now, what a time to be alive.
That is so cute 🥰 I love how he draws his characters, he can make anything look adorable