Should Goku continue to be the main character or someone else becomes the main character

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

super michael
Advanced Regular

Should Goku continue to be the main character or someone else becomes the main character

Post by super michael » Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:02 pm

What would be best for Dragon Ball, should Dragon Ball continue to have Goku as the main character or someone else becomes the main character?

In my opinion someone else should take over being the main character. There is no point in Goku being the main character, if they are going to make him incredibly stupid and forget the things he has learned in the past.

In DB Manga Goku got wise as he went on his adventure and grew up, he managed to figure things out and even train others to become seasoned warrior. Goku in DB was like a expert in fighting and training. In DBS Goku can't figure many things out, even training he is a amateur since he has got the things he has learned.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Re: Should Goku continue to be the main character or someone else becomes the main character

Post by goku the krump dancer » Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:55 pm

Just end it, give it one last hoorah story arc and that’s it.

How many times in a 3 month span can the same question be asked?
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Should Goku continue to be the main character or someone else becomes the main character

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:23 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:55 pm

How many times in a 3 month span can the same question be asked?
At this point it feels like we're getting this topic every other week

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:47 pm

I didn't know there was another thread created, I would have bumped that thread instead.
The blame goes to Toei for screwing up Goku character a lot in DBS.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:17 pm

It depends on how much mileage you think can get out of Goku as a main character.

Can the world's most powerful being face constant challenges to his strength, and still keep being funny and endearing? I think Goku can manage that with some well-written enough arcs that are badass and funny (though it would take a great writer to manage that).

But I think the way Toriyama wrapped things up - Goku achieving his destiny against Freeza, resolving things with Vegeta, deciding not to return to life - all those things would be a decent enough ending place for Goku.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:21 pm

Goku forever be the main character

Others have shine or emphasized like durin Namek-Majin Arc, but Goku is the star

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:05 pm

I wish they make Goku wise again and make him feel like an expert in fighting and training.

But if they insist in making him dumb and look like a amateur at training and fighting, then they should drop him.

Ashur
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ashur » Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:02 pm

I'm starting to think that it would be good if he were to stay as the main character for some arcs but once in a while switch gears to a different pov character for a particular story arc, for example Super Hero switched gears temporarily to Piccolo's pov and it not only made him relevant again in fighting but it provided more dimensions to his character, more scenarios to explore his relationships with other characters, etc.

I feel this could be done with others as well, let's say have the first arc post-SH focused on Goku and Vegeta following up on Black Frieza's threat (if it's even a thing in the animeverse), we get to a point in which the story takes a breather, the arc ends, with some threads pending but next arc it's focused on Krillin and Roshi back on Earth and their own story related to the characters they normally interact with, we could get more meaningful participations of Oolong, Maron, 18, Yamcha, heck even the Sea Turtle, see how Roshi and Karin's dynamic is, have them get into a wacky adventure that puts them out of their element (like Piccolo did in SH) etc. ending on some interesting development independent from whatever Goku and Vegeta are doing (which also provides hype for whatever new power up they could obtain off-screen) but that still feels important.

Maybe not go "oh not even with Goku and Vegeta we could have won" every time, but have the new conflicts separate from the main duo feel important enough to warrant the effort put into them by the other characters.

This way the supporting cast would get their independent development as well as time to shine, while not "retiring" Goku and Vegeta prematurely.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:55 am

Goku's the only one who should be the main character for the wider ongoing story, but after Super Hero I'm definitely not opposed to seeing other characters being the ones whose perspectives we follow for nice little side stories. Piccolo being the main character was fun, and I think seeing Freeza as the main character for a similar thing would be pretty great as well.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:09 am

I'm not against Goku being main character, just make him evolve and learn from mistake, none of this "Goku is not good person" BS or giving senzu bean to enemy, or making him downright retard like in Super...
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:15 pm

Y'know, one way to organically have Goku remain as the focus of the show is, like, to have clever and interesting writing carry the DB story instead of infinite strength advancement...

...crazy concept, I know.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:01 am

I want Monaka to be the main character.

SuperSunnyDee

Post by SuperSunnyDee » Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:19 pm

I think Goku is just fun as the main protagonist. I don’t think you can truly overuse a character so long as you come up with interesting ways to use them. I don’t think Goku is an exception. I just think the writers need to stop regressing Goku when they really don’t need to.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:43 am

Noticed that a thread about this is made many times, but I'll answer it just because I've never done it before.
Yes, he should continue, not because he deserves, or because he's a favorite, or because he's the only one who suits the role or anything else, but because it's definitely not necessary to not continue with him, as it wouldn't change much, at least not in my perspective.
Dragon Ball since Z has perfectly show for us that Goku doesn't need to stop being the main character for the other to get some spotlight, there are times in the series that it almost works as the Marvel Cinematic Universe, where everyone til Phase 3 judged Iron Man as the Main character, but everyone else got a lot of spotlight, see how he was pretty much the one who saved everybody in Endgame, but he wasn't the center in the entire movie, Goku was the one who saved everybody in the Boo arc, but just look how much the arc had to get through without him as the center, The Androids/Cell arc basically starts with him in front of everyone, then he stands aside and returns only in the end of the arc, with everyone "fighting each other" to be in the center, even Android 16 or 17 have their spotlight, fighting the main villain, where is Goku in that moment? Exactly, doing nothing, these Z arcs managed to work for most of the time without him, and he stil was the main character, in end of Cell and in most part of Boo (pre-Vegetto vs Boo), Gohan was definitely the star, but Goku was still there, going even further, we have the productions totally focused in someone who isn't Goku, he's the main character, but what about the Bardock TV Special? The Trunks Special? Bojack Unbound? Broly 2nd Coming? Bio Broly? A Hero's Legacy? Jaco TGP? Super Hero? You really doesn't need to ditch him to make that possible
Goku is the main character of the franchise in general, but not of all of the productions inside the franchise, just as Sonic is the main character of the, duuh, Sonic The Hedgehog series, but isn't the main character of Shadow The Hedgehog (game).
I do understand people who complain that Super should be called "The Goku and Vegeta show", but just "The Goku Show" is already too much, let's all remember the manga chapter totally focused on Bardock, without Goku even showing up, or the Black Arc with Trunks as the star, or even the anime episodes focused in some of the other Universes.
If you want a change, then it's completely useless if Goku's still around, in this franchise, making someone else the main character only repeats what we saw in the Boo arc before Goku was revived.
Super Hero tell us that the franchise can and should have more productions focused in other characters, but that it still can and should use Goku as the center of marketing itself, just like Pokemon does with Pikachu.
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.