Scenes in the Anime you thought were Filler (or canon)?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Scenes in the Anime you thought were Filler (or canon)?

Post by DaemonCorps » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:56 pm

I'm sure a good number of you were pulled into this fandom through the anime, so I'm wondering... what anime scenes did you mistake for filler? for canon?

Off the top of my head, one "mistaken as filler" scene would be right before the Budoukai after the Cell Games when Vegeta destroys the punching machine. My "mistaken for canon scene" would definitely be right before Goku faces King Piccolo for the 2nd time and has to face that giant creature thing along with Yajirobe in order to get the Holy Water.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Mr.Piccolo

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:02 pm

My mistaken for canon moment would be the heroes assisting Gohan in the Cell Games. I thought they did but they were blasted away in the manga. I also thought Goku was a super saiyan when he assisted Gohan and I also thought Vegeta was super saiyan when Vegetto was formed, heh..(Am I doing this right or did I do it backwards?)Is it okay to wish Kaioken Chi-Chi and driving school episode was "canon"?
-Rick
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:33 pm

Mr.Piccolo wrote:Is it okay to wish Kaioken Chi-Chi and driving school episode was "canon"?
-Rick
Kaioken ChiChi is canon, isn't she, Mr. Toriyama?
Akira Toriyama wrote:Yes.

shannarafan
Beyond Newbie

Post by shannarafan » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:05 pm

Mistaken for canon: The Garlic Jr. saga. LOL. And Krillin rushing Super Buu to let the others get away.

Mistaken for filler: Goku knocking Chichi through a tree, Fat Buu healing that blind kid, Mrs. Briefs opening her eyes when Bulma tells her she's going to meet the grown-up Trunks, and that's all I can remember for now.

Gaiash
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gaiash » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:27 pm

Shockingly enough I did think the Garlic Jr Sagas when I first saw it. I actually thought I had missed a saga, of course long after this I found out the truth when I had Internet access. Of course this was before I even heard of the manga.
Proud Advanceshipper (Ash+May)

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:40 pm

Goku and Vegeta inside Buu. Surprisingly it was in the manga, just not as much.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:44 pm

Parts that I, long ago in my n00bishness, I had no idea that the Garlic Jr saga, Yamcha and company's fight with the Ginyu force, or Kid Buu's visit to Grand Kaio's planet were filler. Then again, at that point, it didn't know of filler, period. Heck, I probably didn't realize DragonBall had a manga, at that point.

As for parts thought to be filler, I'm not sure. I'll have to think about that one.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Undercooked Sausage
Beyond Newbie

Post by Undercooked Sausage » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:29 am

I was really upset when I found out that basically any fighting we see Krillin do after Freeza saga was essentially filler. :/

Duo
I Live Here

Re: Scenes in the Anime you thought were Filler (or canon)?

Post by Duo » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:15 am

DaemonCorps wrote:Off the top of my head, one "mistaken as filler" scene would be right before the Budoukai after the Cell Games when Vegeta destroys the punching machine.
I'm positive he destroys the punching machine in the Manga.

Mistaken for Filler - I'm having a very hard time with this question. Um...gosh. Tenshinhan deflecting Boo's blast maybe?

Mistaken for Canon - The Kamehameha duel stuff, base Vegetto vs. Boo, and a few others.

Kula
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kula » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:55 am

If I had seen the Dragon Ball anime before reading the manga, I most definately would have thought that the 'Boss Rabbit' episode was filler. In fact, most of the first 'saga' just seems like random filler episodes thrown together. The 'Fortune Teller Baba' saga just seems like one big filler arc as well.

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:29 pm

Duo wrote:
DaemonCorps wrote:Off the top of my head, one "mistaken as filler" scene would be right before the Budoukai after the Cell Games when Vegeta destroys the punching machine.
Hence I said "mistaken as filler."
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:12 am

DaemonCorps wrote:
Duo wrote:
Hence I said "mistaken as filler."
Dangit. I just got owned.

We will meet again. I WILL HAVE MY REVENGE!!

Vhanos
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vhanos » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:50 pm

Canon: Captain Ginyu switching bodies with bulma, Gotenks after being fused going off to fight fat Buu.

Filler: When Goku and Android 8 were walking and running around through the maze at muscle tower, The Goku and Frieza fight where Goku uses the kamehameha as torpedos underwater on Frieza and when Frieza doesn't use his hands against Goku.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:52 pm

Vhanos wrote:Gotenks after being fused going off to fight fat Buu.
That is canon.

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:47 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Vhanos wrote:Gotenks after being fused going off to fight fat Buu.
That is canon.
I think he means when Gotenks fuses (successfully) for the first time and goes off to fight fat Boo. In the manga, they just show him fly away and then fly back a panel later with a bunch of injuries :lol:.
Duo wrote:Dangit. I just got owned.

We will meet again. I WILL HAVE MY REVENGE!!
... Unless I revenge myself first! :huddles into the corner of the forum:

ChaotixXero
Beyond Newbie

Post by ChaotixXero » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:06 pm

But he did fight Fat Boo, they just didn't show it.

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:14 pm

ChaotixXero wrote:But he did fight Fat Boo, they just didn't show it.
... and for some people, that's pretty much how they would define something as filler or not. But let's not turn this into a 'what people define as filler and canon' thread.

imperfectcell

Post by imperfectcell » Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:34 pm

I thought the Garlic Jr. saga, some random Cell destruction, as well as the other world tournament was real.

The scene with Goku training with weights looked like filler.

Pieter
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pieter » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:03 pm

Speaking of filler. I was watching the Goku - Pikkon fight with a friend and we kept looking at the audience because they behaved hilarious.

Then I noticed the tori-bot in the crowd:

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:14 pm

Pieter wrote:Speaking of filler. I was watching the Goku - Paikuhan fight with a friend and we kept looking at the audience because they behaved hilarious.

Then I noticed the tori-bot in the crowd:

*PROOF*
Holy crap, talk about an easter-egg catch. Well, I guess now we know why the Tori-Bot didn't show up for his cameo with Kuririn during the Fusion training in the anime. He was dead and in the Other World training! But he still found a way to get a picture taken for a local shaving cream company by the time of GT. :lol:

Gotta love how he's wearing Goku's classic gi.
14 years later