900 Minutes of Uncut Action, DBZ Season 1 Arrives

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

nathantheguitarist
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nathantheguitarist » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:55 am

Conan the SSJ wrote:Sheesh Nathan, ever thought some of us are buying this and actually enjoying it?
Yes I have :D, and I accept it. You would know this if you've read all of my posts that are directed towards people who say that us fullscreeners are delusional and whatnot.
Conan the SSJ wrote:You're acting like we're buying a disgrace to DBZ releases, when that couldn't be further from the truth (though FUNimation's ideas for advertising this was a disgrace).
I know it's not a disgrace. If anything, the Pioneer releases are a disgrace (the episodes that is), but the fact that it's cropped still taints the release, no matter how good it sounds, or what the price is.
Conan the SSJ wrote:How about you stop telling people what to do, considering your opinions are based entirely off of screen-caps, you hardly have room to talk.
I wasn't telling anyone to do anything.
No, it's based off of a lot of screencaps, youtube vids, reviews, and my own opinion and comparisons (not a lot of which I've posted) that I've made myself. I have the first UUE dvd at least, so I've taken caps from that, and compared it to screens here, and I don't like what I see. Imo, it crops too much. If you're referring to the shoddy remastering pics, that's just inevitable, but yeah, it's still bad... but at the same time, I'm not an idiot, I know how almost unnoticable it is, I see it all the time in other regular movies.
Hardly have room to talk though? That's just your ignorance, talking out of your ass. I'm a fan of Dragonball, and have been for 10+ years, I think I'm aloud to say whatever the fuck I want about something I want to spend thousands of dollars on... please...
Conan the SSJ wrote:Either give the release a shot or boycott and/or send a letter, there's no need to downgrade a person for their choice of spending money.
I will give the release a shot, I've said many times I plan at least getting the first disc from Netflix to compare to my one UUE. But even if by some miracle I happen to like what I see, it's still being cropped. And I'm not going to be blind about it. I'm going to boycott and send letters for a good long time.
And downgrading? If you took my harmless, purposely immature comment to heart, then maybe a forum isn't the right place for you...
theoriginalbilis wrote:Wow. Real mature.
You can make sarcasm... why couldn't you pick up mine? :lol:
theoriginalbilis wrote:You've already made your stance on the widescreen sets clear. No need to berate the rest of us who chose to buy it.
If you've known about my stance on it, you would already know that I accept the rest of you who buy it. I've gone so far as to say "I'm happy for you guys who like your sets. Go on enjoying it."
theoriginalbilis wrote:Me, personally, I bought it even knowing about the widescreen issue (it doesn't bother me) and the fact that I felt like I was getting a good deal for the set. ($32 ain't bad.)
That's cool you enjoy it. But just that it's a good deal doesn't make it a good or bad release. Are you going to saying to your DBZ friends later on that you bought it because "it was a good deal"? Probably not, and they're going to be saying, "Wait... why's it in widescreen?"
theoriginalbilis wrote:Hm... on second thought... I don't even know why I'm explaining myself to you. I buy DBZ stuff that I like, plain and simple. You do whatever you want. I'm not complaining about what the rest of you do. If it bothers you, just go ahead and do your petitions and letters and whatnot and ignore the rest of us who buy the sets.
Shame that was a second thought. :?
JAPPO wrote:Amen to that :)
You post too much.
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

Snail

Post by Snail » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:15 am

Actually, you really did kinda tell us to do something. :lol:

But anyhow, I guess you've cleared yourself up, after all, I for one understand where you're coming from.

And on a side not, if Jappo isn't offending anyone, or making utterly pointless remarks, let him post all he wants sheesh.

Peace. Love. Harmony.

:D

BrollysKin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrollysKin » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:43 am

Well Jappo besides from having a racist forum name, has really only posted to bother others. I think Nathan has a right to express his opinion just as much as anyone else does.
Like Star Wars? Like Podcasts?
Check out the Star Wars Action News Forums: www.swactionnews.com

Snail

Post by Snail » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:54 am

Ah, I didn't realize that about the name =S...

tsk. tsk. tsk.

gohanku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by gohanku » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:31 am

nathantheguitarist wrote:Jeez... you guys suck! Quit caving! Stop buying these things, your sending FUNi the wrong message! Send letters for a fullscreen release! Arrghh!

Am I the only one left not going to buy this? ... *cricket noises*

:cry:
I am not going to buy the set either. I can't even if I wanted to either... And the two inches of new footage does not cut it for the much more footage lost.
[quote="SSj Kaboom talking about Future Gohan in BT3"]I feel sorry for Future Gohan.

Everyone's like, "What?! What are you doing with [b][i]two[/i][/b] arms?! You tear that off right now, mister!"

Poor guy.[/quote]
Lol'ed.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:29 am

nathantheguitarist wrote:I wasn't telling anyone to do anything.
Yes, you were:
nathantheguitarist wrote:Jeez... you guys suck! Quit caving! Stop buying these things, your sending FUNi the wrong message! Send letters for a fullscreen release! Arrghh!
nathantheguitarist wrote:Hardly have room to talk though? That's just your ignorance, talking out of your ass.
I don't talk out of my own ass, I say what I know and what I think just like anyone else here. The difference between you and me is you're blatantly being an ass, so stop being immature before this outright becomes a flame war.
nathantheguitarist wrote:I will give the release a shot, I've said many times I plan at least getting the first disc from Netflix to compare to my one UUE.
Apparently I missed the "many" times you said this, because all I've seen you post is constant "Avoid the sets, wide-screen is pure evil, etc.etc."
nathantheguitarist wrote:And downgrading? If you took my harmless, purposely immature comment to heart, then maybe a forum isn't the right place for you...
Maybe this forum isn't the right place for you. In any case, it's not your or my forum. it's not our place to say "Maybe this forum isn't the right place for you" unless someone is plainly lashing against Mike's rules, which I've been trying very hard not to. And last time I checked, this is supposed to be a mature message board. So grow up and stop trying to sliver an insult at me without sounding like the bad guy.
14 years later

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:51 am

Ok people. Don't mean to be mini-modding or anything, but we all have our opinions and are entitled to them. However, getting mad at other people for caving in and getting this release despite the widescreen flaw is NOT a good thing to do.

Personally, I will pick the set up in June after the Australian release. I know that the widescreen decision sucks, however I believe that the pros outweigh the cons. (Despite the large con that exists.)

If you don't want the set, fine. Don't buy it. There's the old individual discs that cover the majority of the show, there's Dragonbox singles, there's those other Spanish releases. You can show your displeasure at Funimation's bullcrap and cropping, but DON'T say anything against those who buy the set. It's cheap, it has dub audio, Japanese audio and dub audio with Japanese BGM. Those who want this can get it, those who don't... Well, don't. There's other alternatives. But Funimation have offered us a product, and other than the widescreen, it doesn't seem too bad.

theoriginalbilis

Post by theoriginalbilis » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:05 am

Agreed. Let's not tear each other a new one over this.

So... um... that Dragonball sure is awesome, huh? :lol:

- Bilis
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Mr.Piccolo

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:48 am

Oh dear..If people want to buy it, they'll buy it. If they don't want to, they won't. Don't try to convince people to see it your way if they don't want to.
theoriginalbilis wrote:So... um... that Dragonball sure is awesome, huh?:lol:
:o
-Rick
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

SDHero
Beyond Newbie

Post by SDHero » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:32 am

Hm, so, out of curiosity, has anyone who ordered from Amazon recieved their set yet? It's damn annoying to know the product is available in stores while I wait for Amazon to feel like sending me my pre-order. Guess I'll order the next set from somewhere else.
SJ Dragonball Graphic Novel, Volume 9, page 60. That is all.

SDHero
Beyond Newbie

Post by SDHero » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:48 am

nathantheguitarist wrote:Thank you DaemonCorps for the spine scan!

Well... from this, it looks like it's going to be an awkward looking 10 sets. Now it may be 9 because I think they may shrink down the "Z", but otherwise it seems they're going to be milking 6 seasons into 10... oh well... at least they're cheap. :roll:

"Oh well... at least they're cheap..." Is the official slogan for these sets. You get what you pay for! Dragonball Z! Now with MORE less picture! ... :cry:
Hrm, where are you guys getting 6 seasons from? The current set certainly isn't based on any sort of season system from broadcast, it's just labeled as a "Season One" set, prolly so it looks comparable to other DVD sets on the market right now.

So let's look at it logically. There's 291 episodes in Dragonball Z. If the releases are gonna be somewhat similar in terms of episode count, we can divide that by 39, the current "Season One" box number. That comes out to 7.46, so you'd need at LEAST 8 releases to hold all the episodes. Add in moving episodes around to make better cut-off points for the boxes, and that's 9 releases easy. Funi could stretch it to 10, but I'd put my money on 9 sets being planned.
SJ Dragonball Graphic Novel, Volume 9, page 60. That is all.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:40 am

Now that the set is out, I have a question.

Is the cropping really noticable? Is it distracting? This is really the only thing that's having me second guess wether I should buy it.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:42 am

Sun_Wukong wrote:Now that the set is out, I have a question.

Is the cropping really noticable? Is it distracting? This is really the only thing that's having me second guess wether I should buy it.
It doesn't ruin the show, but I picked up on it having seen the episodes and Brandy picked up on it even though she's never really seen the Saiyajin arc.

-Corey

theoriginalbilis

Post by theoriginalbilis » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:01 pm

Sun_Wukong wrote:Now that the set is out, I have a question.

It's certainly watchable, but there are the occasional scenes that look awkward, like the tops of heads missing in certain cases. Like when Nappa is standing over Gohan, the top of his head to the bottom of the eyes are missing, making it... hmm...

Overall, though, it looks pretty nice. The instances of dirt & hair popping up on the frames are less frequent during the later episodes. During the actual fight with Vegeta, I didn't notice any hair/dirt/glue, etc...

- Bilis
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Milton
Patreon Supporter

Post by Milton » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:35 pm

*sigh*

Well, I just had to go and watch the YouTube clips posted...now I'm second-guessing myself. In all honesty, the cropping wasn't as noticeable as the images I had seen earlier led me to believe. The dub sounds much better with the original BGM, but it's still not great.

While I'm still a little irked about the lack of next episode previews and the whole credits thing, I may very well be back on the fence about this release. :?

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:22 pm

Milton wrote:lack of next episode previews
OH MAH GAWD :( :( :(

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:33 pm

I honestly never expected Funi to get the next episode previews. Theyve never had them in the past.

Are there any scenes that are really horribly cropped? Like is anyone taken out of a scene?

Milton
Patreon Supporter

Post by Milton » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:49 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Milton wrote:lack of next episode previews
OH MAH GAWD :( :( :(
Uh...sorry if that annoys you. :?

The thing is, this has been an issue for how many years now? You'd think that FUNi would have made some sort of effort to get the audio for their "super duper, remastered Season 1 Vegeta Saga, way it was meant to be seen" edition. Of course, maybe they have made a better effort and just haven't bothered to tell anyone about it.[/i]

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:16 pm

Milton wrote:Uh...sorry if that annoys you. :?
It seems like there's more important things to bitch about. You're getting the next episode in a couple seconds anyway, why do you need a preview?

Milton
Patreon Supporter

Post by Milton » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:25 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Milton wrote:Uh...sorry if that annoys you. :?
You're getting the next episode in a couple seconds anyway, why do you need a preview?
I think that would be obvious...I'm a completest moron. :)

Though I do see your point; it is pretty insignificant when compared to the "remastering" job. It just would've been nice to see them finally.