900 Minutes of Uncut Action, DBZ Season 1 Arrives

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SDHero
Beyond Newbie

Post by SDHero » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:20 pm

Castor Troy wrote:After those nifty red CG titles the Ultimate Uncuts had for their episodes, why did FUNi go back to the old white text like Seasons 3-6? :?
CONSISTENCY! No, that makes no sense at all, but Funi pulls out that word every time they need to explain a choice that doesn't make a lot of sense.

Well, except this "widescreen" nonsense, they had to concoct a whole new set of impressive words for that marketing push.
SJ Dragonball Graphic Novel, Volume 9, page 60. That is all.

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:40 pm

I just watched Piccolo's death in the dub with japanese music....

Why was the holy choir music removed? :shock:

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:57 pm

Gokuden553 wrote:Seems like Funimation didn't change the script since the Ultimate Uncut version afterall.
I've now seen 37 out of the 39 episodes in dub w/t JP BGM form. Comparing it to the "Ultimate Uncut" version on the previous DVDs and Cartoon Network airings, the only new redubbing I noticed was Vegeta's "Kaioken" pronunciation being changed to "Kayoken" after Goku first uses the attack against him. Everything else seems the same, even "3 years ago" and "Speed of light" lines are retained, though FUNi clearly did go to the trouble of somewhat redubbing some small stuff. Also, as mentioned, the "Ultimate Uncut" title cards have been changed to more consistent versions that match the rest of the series. I do gotta say, I was caught off guard that they replaced the one instance "Kaioken" is pronounced with a different take from Chris Sabat, considering that's a very small moment and didn't seem as worth changing as "Speed of light" or whatnot. ._.;;
14 years later

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:59 pm

Castor Troy wrote:I just watched Piccolo's death in the dub with japanese music....

Could that have been because of some licensing issue? Or is FUNimation just trying to improve DBZ again?

Oh and Castor, your site isn't working.

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:01 am

SatoSky wrote:
Castor Troy wrote:I just watched Piccolo's death in the dub with japanese music....

Could that have been because of some licensing issue? Or is FUNimation just trying to improve DBZ again?

Oh and Castor, your site isn't working.
Yeah, I guess it had to be some licensing issue since other countries cut out some of the insert songs.

My domain was eaten by my incompetent provider and I probably won't get it back :(

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:05 am

Castor Troy wrote:Yeah, I guess it had to be some licensing issue since other countries cut out some of the insert songs.

My domain was eaten by my incompetent provider and I probably won't get it back :(
From what I remember, the Spanish DVD's actually left the insert song intact. Maybe they were able to license it somehow. :?:

Sucks about your site... :x

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:12 am

raf235 wrote:
Busaiku wrote:Here's a clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqXYqKCA9qM
Looks pretty weird though.
The clip on Youtube looks horrible. I compared this scene with the Dragonbox one from Japan. And the colours are way off. The screen is stretched, goku looks thinner in the Funi clip. And of course the cropping, it's horrible. I don't know how you guys can buy this piece of crap. And you guys call yourself DBZ fans. just buy the dragonbox or don't buy anything at all. If you buy Funi's crap, your just supporting them to make more crap.
The show does not look stretched like that when viewed on television. In fact, it doesn't look stretched at all. I have no idea how the hell that ended up looking like that, maybe some weird format the uploader applied to it before bringing it to YouTube.
SatoSky wrote:
Castor Troy wrote:Yeah, I guess it had to be some licensing issue since other countries cut out some of the insert songs.

From what I remember, the Spanish DVD's actually left the insert song intact. Maybe they were able to license it somehow. :?:

Sucks about your site... :x
Maybe this is a similar situation to the Goku/Jackie Chun fight in original DB, where it's a glitch with the international track from FUNi's masters when a certain piece of insert music can't be present. It may not even be a matter of licensing issues, since it's not like FUNi gotta pay royalties for this to air on television. But who knows.
14 years later

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:20 am

Anyone got any requests for clips? I can make some high resolution and high quality clips. Plus I wanna test out my new server :)

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:25 am

Conan the SSJ wrote:Maybe this is a similar situation to the Goku/Jackie Chun fight in original DB, where it's a glitch with the international track from FUNi's masters when a certain piece of insert music can't be present. It may not even be a matter of licensing issues, since it's not like FUNi gotta pay royalties for this to air on television. But who knows.
I don't understand what you mean by a "glitch" in the international track. Also, I don't see how FUNimation wouldn't have to pay royalties for broadcasting DBZ. Isn't that what licensing is essentially? I'm sure that Toei would love to be taking some of the insane amount of money that FUNi makes off of this property.

Then again, I could be completely wrong. I'm not a lawyer or anything. :roll:
That wasn't sarcasm.
Castor Troy wrote:Anyone got any requests for clips? I can make some high resolution and high quality clips. Plus I wanna test out my new server Smile
I'm sure JAPPO would leave to see the full length dub Head-Cha-La intro. I'd do it myself, but this computer doesn't have my ripping software. :x

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:35 am

Castor Troy wrote:Anyone got any requests for clips? I can make some high resolution and high quality clips. Plus I wanna test out my new server :)
Goku and Piccolo's fight with Raditz. Just a few clips here and there.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:35 am

SatoSky wrote:I don't understand what you mean by a "glitch" in the international track. Also, I don't see how FUNimation wouldn't have to pay royalties for broadcasting DBZ. Isn't that what licensing is essentially? I'm sure that Toei would love to be taking some of the insane amount of money that FUNi makes off of this property.
By glitch, I mean Toei may have somehow removed it for the prints' international track they sent to FUNi. Also, this new dub w/t Japanese BGM is DVD-exclusive, probably never gonna air on television; at least not Cartoon Network anyway. Why would FUNi intentionally remove something for licensing issues when it's not even airing on TV, which is where paying royalties matters? They advertised that this dub is to have the original Japanese music, and outside of the opening sequence being different, they have no reason to pull back on that promise.
14 years later

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:44 am

Conan the SSJ wrote:
SatoSky wrote:I don't understand what you mean by a "glitch" in the international track. Also, I don't see how FUNimation wouldn't have to pay royalties for broadcasting DBZ. Isn't that what licensing is essentially? I'm sure that Toei would love to be taking some of the insane amount of money that FUNi makes off of this property.
By glitch, I mean Toei may have somehow removed it for the prints' international track they sent to FUNi. Also, this new dub w/t Japanese BGM is DVD-exclusive, probably never gonna air on television; at least not Cartoon Network anyway. Why would FUNi intentionally remove something for licensing issues when it's not even airing on TV, which is where paying royalties matters? They advertised that this dub is to have the original Japanese music, and outside of the opening sequence being different, they have no reason to pull back on that promise.
From what I understand about licensing, which isn't much, as long as FUNimation is making some sort of monetary gain from using the original BGM, Toei has the right to some of that money. Now it could be that somebody outside of Toei owns publsihing rights to some of the specific insert song used throughout the series. Maybe the original artist, and FUNi didn't want to fork over even more money. So they opted to remove the damn song entirely. Again though, just my opinion.

Oh and FUNimation also promised this would be the "Complete DBZ DVD Collection", "The Way It Was Meant To Be Seen", etc.

SDHero
Beyond Newbie

Post by SDHero » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:53 am

Well, liscencing is a tricky thing. Nowadays, it's standard for a show, songs and everything, to be included in the liscence for DVD release.

However, with older shows like Dragonball, it can get hairy. There was no DVD format when the show was airing, and Toei may not have liscenced a song for inclusion on a home video release, because they never anticipated a home release!

Funimation has the liscence for whatever copies of japanese masters they have, and that's pretty much it. One of the things here is that Toei never gave them the audio tracks for the next episode previews (except in the case of GT, bizzarely), so those have never been included! Liscencing can get really tricky, and it's certainly possible that while Funi can present a song as it appeared on the Japanese track, they're not liscenced to include it with an english dub. Crazy, I know, but absolutely possible.

SDHero
Beyond Newbie

Post by SDHero » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:58 am

As an addendum, such bizzare issues can usually be resolved with money, but Funi has pretty well avoided paying for anything that wasn't included in their original deal over a decade ago. To be absolutely fair, Toei can be kind of a jerk about these things too. A couple of years back, they refused to renew the liscence for Sailor Moon, and you'll notice there aren't currently any Sailor Moon DVDs on the market. All Toei's doing.

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:00 am

SDHero wrote:As an addendum, such bizzare issues can usually be resolved with money, but Funi has pretty well avoided paying for anything that wasn't included in their original deal over a decade ago. To be absolutely fair, Toei can be kind of a jerk about these things too. A couple of years back, they refused to renew the liscence for Sailor Moon, and you'll notice there aren't currently any Sailor Moon DVDs on the market. All Toei's doing.
Very similar to how they refuse to give ADV the rest of the Saint Seiya episodes.
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

SDHero
Beyond Newbie

Post by SDHero » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:05 am

Sebastian (SB) wrote: Very similar to how they refuse to give ADV the rest of the Saint Seiya episodes.
Ahh, really? I wasn't aware, but that makes as much sense as anything Toei's done. :P

chronocross
Not-So-Newbie

Post by chronocross » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:16 am

SDHero wrote:
Sebastian (SB) wrote: Very similar to how they refuse to give ADV the rest of the Saint Seiya episodes.
Ahh, really? I wasn't aware, but that makes as much sense as anything Toei's done. :P
True, but the Saint Seiya releases were never treated good enough. I am so glad that I know spanish and the Mexican DVD release of Saint Seiya.
I aim to misbehave

denitonis
Beyond Newbie

Post by denitonis » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:16 am

I don't believe it has been mentioned before but if it has can somebody repeat the answer to this question.
Do these discs carry the same regioncoding like the other Dragon Ball Z discs, a.k.a. Region 1, 2 and 4?
A friend of mine is interested in the set but since his dvd-player can't be made regionfree (trust me I tried and it is the first player I encountered that couldn't be regionunlocked).
7/5th of all people do not understand fractions.

Quoting one is plagiarism.
Quoting many is research.

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:23 am

SatoSky wrote:
I'm sure JAPPO would leave to see the full length dub Head-Cha-La intro. I'd do it myself, but this computer doesn't have my ripping software. :x
Yep, that would be good.

Oh and I wouldn't mind hearing Vegeta talk. We've only seen him grunt. I want to see how old he sounds.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:48 pm

So I'm getting the set tonight, is there anything anyone would like to see for those who still dont have it?