900 Minutes of Uncut Action, DBZ Season 1 Arrives

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheSonofKakarrot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TheSonofKakarrot » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:11 am

Snail wrote:You're right, it really would be about 2 years for the entire series to be released under this format. *sigh. I was hoping that by the time I graduated from high school I would have already been able to sit down and cruise through the entire series with leisure. Guess not.

Thanks FUNimation...I hate you.

In reply to SonOfKakorott's comment:

Hmm, I didn't notice much difference. The grain was still existent, the only small difference that I picked up was the difference in colors. Furthermore, the colors from the Android arc and onward seemed bland, whereas, the Freeza arc presented some really bright colors. But yeah, describing the video quality of the Freeza saga as 'leagues above the rest' is a bit of an exaggeration don't ya' think?
Eh not really. Watch "Freeza Transformation" or "Freeza The Summoning." Then right after, watch Androids: Invasion. I think you will notice a vast difference.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:04 am

TheSonofKakarrot wrote:Eh not really. Watch "Freeza Transformation" or "Freeza The Summoning." Then right after, watch Androids: Invasion. I think you will notice a vast difference.
I owned those discs, and since they were actually the reason I got into the technical aspect of DVD's I think I would remember any drastic differences. All I remember is the saturation being cranked on all of them, but being more apparent because of Namek's green background. Grain was still present, and bitrates remained about the same across those discs. Oh yeah, and ugly edge enhancement was there as always.

-Corey

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:39 pm

I completely agree with most of the comments in this thread against the boxset. Now, I haven't seen the original Japanese version, and I'll tell you all why - completionism (I know that's not a real word, but just go with me on this). I don't want to watch a set of episodes in Japanese starting from the middle of the series, just because the Saiya-jin, Namek, and part of the Ginyu arcs are odd when it came to licensing. Before I sit down and bask in the original version, I want to know the entire series is out and ripe for the picking at a local video shop.

Now, when I first saw this boxset at a local Wal-Mart for $29.92, I was ecstatic. I mean, I had to chuckle at cross-eyed Vegeta and wonder what genius over at quality control let that one go, but that's beside the point. I had been out of the loop for some time when it came to Dragon Ball, so I knew nothing about the quality of this thing. I did want to buy the UUE volumes before then, but I held off for awhile in favor of gathering more money.

However, I didn't buy it. I wanted to find out more about the set first, because $29.92 seemed too good to be true.

Then came the horrible truth - cropping into 16:9, taking out massive quantities of footage from the top and bottom in favor of some insignificant details along the sides. I must say, I was appalled that FUNimation had treated the series like that. I don't care if this is the age of High Definition and widscreen televisions or not - I still own a 4:3 television, and I'm sure many, many others still do as well. You don't bloody crop the series just because it's the age of High Definition.

But no, that was just the tip of the iceberg. I read several reviews both on this site and off, looked at screencaps, and listened to the podcast review (in effect turning me onto the podcast), and that only lowered my opinion of this.

Remastered. Whatever you say FUNimation; it actually looks like you put more hairs and grain then what were on the prints already. Never mind the line-removing and 'fixing' the beautiful dusk sky of the Goku and Vegeta duel.

When I discovered that all of their alterations are permanent on the masters they used and that the UUE sets (while not perfect, are still loads better than this) were canceled in favor of this garbage, that was the icing on this horrible cake.

So, it would seem my watching of the series subbed has been put off yet again thanks to FUNimation's latest brilliant idea. Really, this mockery proves that they enjoy dangling something wonderful in front of the fans' faces only to jerk it away and present crap in return.

FDLink
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FDLink » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:47 pm

I'm liking this resurgence of negative feedback. :P All very good points, and proves that there are some of us who don't swallow every bit of tripe we're fed.

But I wonder how bad fan reaction would have to get for FUNimation to just purchase the DragonBox masters from TOEI. Wouldn't that be a relatively cheap alternative, as opposed to redoing their own HD masters?

kevin449

Post by kevin449 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:07 pm

Why don't we do a campaing for this Dragonboxes masters instead of just 4:3?
Goku:HYAAAH!
Buu:Haa...Haaa
Vegeta:What the hell is going on here?

Sorry for this,it's my attempt at humor.
Hahaha!

Obi-Wan

Post by Obi-Wan » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:28 pm

kevin449 wrote:Why don't we do a campaing for this Dragonboxes masters instead of just 4:3?
Funimation would still probably crop those so Gen can watch DBZ on his 145 inch HDTV.
[url=http://vegetawantsps3.ytmnd.com/]Vegeta wants PS3, but guess what?[/url]

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:35 pm

I'm not an expert on the subject by any means, but I don't think Toei would be too willing to hand their Dragonbox masters over to FUNimation, because...they're Toei, they do that.
Obi-Wan wrote:Funimation would still probably crop those so Gen can watch DBZ on his 145 inch HDTV.
Wow, if FUNimation actually went and cropped the Dragonbox footage, I would boycott their releases all together.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:14 am

Char Aznable wrote:I'm not an expert on the subject by any means, but I don't think Toei would be too willing to hand their Dragonbox masters over to FUNimation, because...they're Toei, they do that.
Well, obviously Toei wouldn't sell them the original of original film prints that they keep in storage (which was used for the Dragonboxes). However, FUNi could just as easily purchase licensing rights to releasing the footage by means of encoding from the Dragonbox discs. According to Corey, they already own all the sets in their offices, it's simply a matter of purchasing the rights to release it over here in the United States. Spain's done it, albeit their releases are saturated to the point where the reds bleed beyond comprehension. Maybe if FUNi can see the error of their ways, they'll show some balls and get the rights to release the Dragonbox footage; no color saturating, zoom-in functioning, remastering of any kind on their part, or wide-screen slapping.
14 years later

TheSonofKakarrot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TheSonofKakarrot » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:29 am

I dunno....as much as FUNimation screws up, I don't blame them for not having the Dragonbox footage. I remember since the beginnings of time about how TOEI are anal about how they handle stuff like that. I remember it actually started around the time the first FUNi DVD's came out and people bitched at them for not having the previews when the whole time it was TOEI's fault. I heard they did the same thing to Sailor Moon as well and in some cases was worse for Pioneer. Maybe it has something to do with American companies?

Despite all the nonsense they do, I think this probably the most profitable option for FUNimation. I'm not trying to defend them but we honestly can continue to speculate this and the third when something completely different could be going on behind close doors with TOEI. We don't know the details of their contracts so we can't pass on our speculation as fact (which is what people used to do to FUNi about the previews until finding out Pioneer went thru worse troubles). What we can blame them on is the remastering process itself and being too lazy to rid us of the glue at the tops and bottoms. Who knows. Albeit we'll eventually get a solid release that would please everybody. FUNimation most likely wants to let Dragonball Z live for as long as possible because it is definitely its most profitable anime so they dont wanna succumb to the fact that its over. So I'm expecting one more "Digitally Restored" set after these are over.

email2003
Beyond Newbie

Post by email2003 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:37 am

Conan the SSJ wrote:
Char Aznable wrote:I'm not an expert on the subject by any means, but I don't think Toei would be too willing to hand their Dragonbox masters over to FUNimation, because...they're Toei, they do that.
Well, obviously Toei wouldn't sell them the original of original film prints that they keep in storage (which was used for the Dragonboxes). However, FUNi could just as easily purchase licensing rights to releasing the footage by means of encoding from the Dragonbox discs. According to Corey, they already own all the sets in their offices, it's simply a matter of purchasing the rights to release it over here in the United States. Spain's done it, albeit their releases are saturated to the point where the reds bleed beyond comprehension. Maybe if FUNi can see the error of their ways, they'll show some balls and get the rights to release the Dragonbox footage; no color saturating, zoom-in functioning, remastering of any kind on their part, or wide-screen slapping.
Also, it's only a matter of time that Mexico might even get remastered DBZ on DVD. I'll be getting that if it comes true.

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:20 am

MajinVejitaXV wrote:
laserkid wrote:All very valid thoughts, but I think the reason you rub -some- people the wrong way is if they disagree with you you label them as idiots, either by claiming superior knowledge of video formatting (which may be true but saying it to marginalize someone elses opinion tends to set them off), or call them apathetic.
That's not my intention by any means. I guess I just can't get how people will not only buy this but praise it.

Conan and I went over this last night. No, I don't think people who bought this are idiots (I bought it too, remember). What does disturb me are some of the comments. I...honestly don't see how this is better than the previous discs FUNimation produced. They cut out 20% of the picture and filtered the thing to death, which makes it look smooth but obliterates any detail (which makes mastering it at 1080p pretty damned pointless).

I dunno, I'll do a better job of explaining when I finally finish that review site I haven't had any time to work on ;p

-Corey
I again understand the feeling. I praised the set myself, but thats because to my eyes anyway it looked a LOT cleaner and vibrant then I've ever seen DBZ (I dont own dragonbox anything nor ever will fpr the fact again I'm not buying anything raw Japanese).

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:39 am

email2003 wrote:Also, it's only a matter of time that Mexico might even get remastered DBZ on DVD. I'll be getting that if it comes true.
Is that just your specualtion, or is it based on anything official? I'd go ape-shit if it were true. :D

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:59 am

SatoSky wrote:Is that just your specualtion, or is it based on anything official? I'd go ape-shit if it were true. :D
I second that notion. I'd gladly drop the FUNi releases for DVD releases of the Mexican dub.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:51 am

Dragonbox footage, Mexican dub, Japanese subbed in Spanish... I'd be there in a frikkin' heartbeat! Please, I am begging you! Take my money!

Victator Supreme
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Victator Supreme » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:30 am

Hmm cropping is more extreme than I was expecting. I'm going to buy it anyway, because 39 episodes for 30 bucks is a deal regardless. Hopfully they get their shit together.

FDLink
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FDLink » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:06 pm

And that's one more person rewarding FUNi for putting out a shoddy and incomplete product--with the same rationalization that we've all heard a thousand times.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:01 am

FDLink wrote:And that's one more person rewarding FUNi for putting out a shoddy and incomplete product--with the same rationalization that we've all heard a thousand times.
I'd hardly say Victator is rewarding FUNi simply by buying the release. He's fully aware of the negative aspects and advertising lies on FUNi's part and he still wants to get it. Why? Because it's the best financial choice to get this much of DBZ legit. In other words, he's buying it out of love and desire for the series, not to soothe FUNi's ego. In the end, some of us just want the series in a consistent, affordable, fully translated, complete form. That's what these season sets are offering. And no, I'm not praising FUNi for these releases, just making a point that the cropping and exaggerated remastering isn't gonna stop as many of us from getting this series that we love and adore. (And as I've said many times, the widescreen does not ruin the viewing experience for me and the video quality has never looked better on R1 DVD in my view)
14 years later

TheSonofKakarrot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TheSonofKakarrot » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:34 am

laserkid wrote:
MajinVejitaXV wrote:
laserkid wrote:All very valid thoughts, but I think the reason you rub -some- people the wrong way is if they disagree with you you label them as idiots, either by claiming superior knowledge of video formatting (which may be true but saying it to marginalize someone elses opinion tends to set them off), or call them apathetic.
That's not my intention by any means. I guess I just can't get how people will not only buy this but praise it.

Conan and I went over this last night. No, I don't think people who bought this are idiots (I bought it too, remember). What does disturb me are some of the comments. I...honestly don't see how this is better than the previous discs FUNimation produced. They cut out 20% of the picture and filtered the thing to death, which makes it look smooth but obliterates any detail (which makes mastering it at 1080p pretty damned pointless).

I dunno, I'll do a better job of explaining when I finally finish that review site I haven't had any time to work on ;p

-Corey
I again understand the feeling. I praised the set myself, but thats because to my eyes anyway it looked a LOT cleaner and vibrant then I've ever seen DBZ (I dont own dragonbox anything nor ever will fpr the fact again I'm not buying anything raw Japanese).
I fully agree. It looks a million and one times better than the other DVD's in my eyes. I remember how badly the dam thing was flooded with grain. People used to think I got ripped off because DVD's are supposed to be "crystal clear." I like their colors as well. But like I said before, some scenes are just too white. They needa turn the contrast down....

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:40 am

I'm not going to start a major campaign to release Dragonbox footage in the U.S., or redo the masters completely. Personally, I think that all they need to do is bring back the UUE sets to be released alongside these. I don't care how grainy the footage is really - it's from 1989. In fact, I think this season set proves that remastering could be disastrous if it isn't handled right.

From what I heard about the UUE sets, at least they offered the series in three different vocal tracks in a good, solid format.

FDLink
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FDLink » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:08 am

I'd hardly say Victator is rewarding FUNi simply by buying the release. He's fully aware of the negative aspects and advertising lies on FUNi's part and he still wants to get it. Why? Because it's the best financial choice to get this much of DBZ legit. In other words, he's buying it out of love and desire for the series, not to soothe FUNi's ego. In the end, some of us just want the series in a consistent, affordable, fully translated, complete form. That's what these season sets are offering. And no, I'm not praising FUNi for these releases, just making a point that the cropping and exaggerated remastering isn't gonna stop as many of us from getting this series that we love and adore.
Understandable, but you see, if everyone thinks like that, where is FUNi going to get the kick-in-the-ass needed for them to change their ways from?

I love the series too, and want nothing more than a complete, consistent way to own it all. But the fact is: with this set, we're all getting fucked, and I refuse to accept what they've put out until they get it right (even if all they do is bring back the 4:3). If people continue to buy it, it will give FUNi the misconception that they can keep doing this shit for the rest of the series, and if that happens, every R1 fan will remain fucked.

I mean, you know there's something wrong when animeondvd.com will refuse to even REVIEW the thing...