Yardrat

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kaboom

Yardrat

Post by Kaboom » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:12 am

Heyas, there, d00ds and d00d3773s.

I have yet another picture request for art reference purposes.

I need pictures of Yardrat, the planet Goku ended up on after Namek (finally) went all explodey. I know there's a flashback sequence during, I believe, the Trunks saga, that shows Goku crashing onto Yardrat and then being surrounded by some of the curious locals. Specifically, I need...
  • 1) A decent shot of the planet Yardrat lanscape (I seem to remember it being very rocky and desolate)

2) A shot of the Yardratans themselves.
It's for a "special" part of a certain project.

Kplzthx.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Son_GokouSSJ4
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son_GokouSSJ4 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:29 am

Sorry about the quality...best I could find!

http://mistersatan.iespana.es/ch/yardrat.jpg

http://www.clopotel.ro/dragonballz/admi ... ardrat.gif

http://www.dragonball-paradijs.com/drag ... rdrat2.jpg

Didn't find pictures for the landscape though...sorry! :(
ORA SONGOKOU DA!

Pieter
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pieter » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:40 am

Here you go:

Flip the two Yardratans around for a better image.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:48 pm

OoOoOoh, precisely what I needed! Thanks!

Man, these guys are uglier than I remember 'em...
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Son_GokouSSJ4
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son_GokouSSJ4 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:15 pm

Wow Peiter, nice job!
Rips from the dvd's?
And now that I see, some of my links aren't even working! :x
ORA SONGOKOU DA!

SDHero
Beyond Newbie

Post by SDHero » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:56 pm

...I forgot how random-ass the idea of Goku landing on planet Yardrat was to begin with O_o

I guess that's what happens when you carefully plot to kill off the main character and end the manga only to have your editors say "Dude! MONEY!"
SJ Dragonball Graphic Novel, Volume 9, page 60. That is all.

Pieter
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pieter » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:05 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:OoOoOoh, precisely what I needed! Thanks!

Man, these guys are uglier than I remember 'em...
You're welcome 8)
Son_GokouSSJ4 wrote:Wow Peiter, nice job!
Rips from the dvd's?
And now that I see, some of my links aren't even working! :x
Yeah they're rips from the Dragonbox eps, but with removed noise and proper sharpening that prevents the noise reduction making things blurrier, the colors are genuine too. Not to say this is ideal, there's always some slight quality loss.

Your images do work by the way, you just can't hyperlink them. If you copy paste the url in a new window they work.
SDHero wrote:...I forgot how random-ass the idea of Goku landing on planet Yardrat was to begin with O_o

I guess that's what happens when you carefully plot to kill off the main character and end the manga only to have your editors say "Dude! MONEY!"
It's not that random, he has to land somewhere you know. And it's not random either to find one of the five ginyu force spaceships that landed right next to Frieza's ship :wink:

SDHero
Beyond Newbie

Post by SDHero » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:16 pm

It's not that he had to land somewhere, it's that he was suppossed to die when the planet went boom. So, then, he, uh, finds a Ginyu spacecraft! But he doesn't get wished back to Earth by the Dragon, because, umm...yeah. But he was somewhere, and it turns out that somewhere was....YARDRAT, the planet not introduced until now!

C'mon, Yardrat existed solely to suit Toriyama's uncertainty about what to do with Goku now that he wasn't killing him :P
SJ Dragonball Graphic Novel, Volume 9, page 60. That is all.

Pieter
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pieter » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:20 pm

SDHero wrote:It's not that he had to land somewhere, it's that he was suppossed to die when the planet went boom. So, then, he, uh, finds a Ginyu spacecraft! But he doesn't get wished back to Earth by the Dragon, because, umm...yeah. But he was somewhere, and it turns out that somewhere was....YARDRAT, the planet not introduced until now!

C'mon, Yardrat existed solely to suit Toriyama's uncertainty about what to do with Goku now that he wasn't killing him :P
If Goku died he could have been wished back anyway :wink: Unless Toriyama would have to come up with the plan that Porunga died on earth. I've still never seen proof that post Frieza was one of the points where Toriyama wanted to end his manga.

Swift
Beyond Newbie

Post by Swift » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:44 pm

Pieter wrote:
SDHero wrote:It's not that he had to land somewhere, it's that he was suppossed to die when the planet went boom. So, then, he, uh, finds a Ginyu spacecraft! But he doesn't get wished back to Earth by the Dragon, because, umm...yeah. But he was somewhere, and it turns out that somewhere was....YARDRAT, the planet not introduced until now!

If Goku died he could have been wished back anyway :wink: Unless Toriyama would have to come up with the plan that Porunga died on earth. I've still never seen proof that post Freeza was one of the points where Toriyama wanted to end his manga.
I remembering hearing that the original intention was to have Piccolo die from the wound Freeza gave him, thus leaving no set of Dragonballs left. Thus, the only survivors of Namek would be Bulma and Gohan, and no one else could be brought back.

But I don't have a problem with the way Goku survived Namek and landed on Yadrat either. It was said that the Ginyu Special Force had set their ships to head to Yadrat, their next target, so... It doesn't seem like too much of a stretch to me.

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:09 am

Swift wrote:I remembering hearing that the original intention was to have Piccolo die from the wound Freeza gave him, thus leaving no set of Dragonballs left. Thus, the only survivors of Namek would be Bulma and Gohan, and no one else could be brought back.
'Sounds like fan speculation...

Son_GokouSSJ4
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son_GokouSSJ4 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:36 am

Hey, don't bitch about Yardrat!
They look kinda cute ( :lol: ) and besides, they taught Goku the "shunkanidou" so...that was a major addition to the series, plus, it really came in hand, (and also made Kintoun worthless).
ORA SONGOKOU DA!

Mystic Jack
Regular

Post by Mystic Jack » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:41 am

I kind of reeled back when I saw these guys, pretty much the same effect here.
Singer, actor, chiropractor!

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:43 am

Olivier Hague wrote:
Swift wrote:I remembering hearing that the original intention was to have Piccolo die from the wound Freeza gave him, thus leaving no set of Dragonballs left. Thus, the only survivors of Namek would be Bulma and Gohan, and no one else could be brought back.
Also their trip to Namek would've been for nothing as well.

Swift
Beyond Newbie

Post by Swift » Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:20 am

Olivier Hague wrote:
Perhaps, but it's really the only way I see the manga ending after the Namek saga with Goku staying dead (assuming that's not just a rumor as well). I suppose you could have the Namek Dragonballs not be able to bring anyone back more than once, or have only the earth Dragonballs remain (although, Chaozu would be left out then). Or you could pull a Cell Games ending and have Goku want to stay dead... But none of those seem to fit as well.
Also their trip to Namek would've been for nothing as well.
Well, except for avenging the entire Saiyan race and saving the whole universe from an inconceivablely powerful, seemingly unstoppable emperor... Yeah. :P

(Guess this is a little off-topic, though... Sorry about that.)

Maker777
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Maker777 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:28 am

I don't remember seeing those anywhere. :? Which episodes are they in?
[b]Mr.Pedestrian[/b]
[url=http://www.users.on.net/~mateen/][b]Shnay Krew[/b][/url]
[url=http://mrpedestrian.deviantart.com/][b]DeviArt[/b][/url] || [url=http://www.myspace.com/_1_a][b]MySpace[/b][/url]

Pieter
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pieter » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:10 am

Maker777 wrote:I don't remember seeing those anywhere. :? Which episodes are they in?
123, Japanese numbering.
Perhaps, but it's really the only way I see the manga ending after the Namek saga with Goku staying dead (assuming that's not just a rumor as well). I suppose you could have the Namek Dragonballs not be able to bring anyone back more than once, or have only the earth Dragonballs remain (although, Chaozu would be left out then). Or you could pull a Cell Games ending and have Goku want to stay dead... But none of those seem to fit as well.
I personally think that even if Toriyama decided to end his manga he hadn't even thought up an ending yet. He brought the Ginyu force to the show after he saw some sort of power rangers on television. That makes me think he writes his story without exactly knowing how it ends. But yes, his explanation what 'Z' stood for indicates that he wanted to end the series soon. He also said that in the end he was glad that he went on with the story, and I personally think that he did a very good job at it.

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:55 am

Swift wrote:it's really the only way I see the manga ending after the Namek saga with Goku staying dead (assuming that's not just a rumor as well).
I think it is...