Japanese or English?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KillerCory
Beyond Newbie

Japanese or English?

Post by KillerCory » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:38 pm

I'm about 50/50 in deciding which to keep watching. I started watching the show in English and that is what i'm used too. However, some of the things are say are just stupid. And they change a lot of things in the script.

I guess I could watch the show in Japanese and I will hopefully get used to it.

Which language did you first see the show in?

And, which language do you watch the show in now?

Overall, which do you perfer more?
Goku: "Look Vegeta! People popcorn!"
Vegeta: "What is he on?"

Magica
Regular

Post by Magica » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:40 pm

I watched the show first in English. As far as watching it in English or Japanese, it depends on my mood. If the English is too bad to watch, then I'll watch the Japanese version instead.

the way it wuz ment 2 b wachd ryt?!?//1?

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:47 pm

Started watching the show on Toonami in 1999. Didnt see the Japanese version till late 2001. I dont have a preferance to either version. But I definately like the original BGM.

KillerCory
Beyond Newbie

Post by KillerCory » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:54 pm

To add on here are somethings that DRIVE me crazy in english version:

"THREE years ago our planet collided with a meteor"

"He..he dodged it! He's faster than the.. the speed of light!"

"I would say you have about 88 days before they get here"

- that is just the start.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:02 pm

I started with the English dub, but now I prefer to forget it exists. I just can't stand the dialogue, the voices, or the music.

I actually had a conversation about DVDs last night where I ended up saying something like, "I don't care if they cast Gilbert Gottfried as Gokuu in the dub so long as I get the Japanese version." Original Japanese is just the only thing that I enjoy and acknowledge nowadays.

Android18
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Android18 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:28 pm

What yall all going to do if theres no subtitles?

Magica
Regular

Post by Magica » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:33 pm

Android18 wrote:What yall all going to do if theres no subtitles?
Either watch it raw or learn Japanese. What's wrong with that? :?

Undercooked Sausage
Beyond Newbie

Post by Undercooked Sausage » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:38 pm

Japanese if I'm by myself, English if I'm watching with a friend.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:39 pm

Almost everyone here started with the English dub - I'm no exception.

I can watch it. I mean, in my head, Drummond is Vegeta, and you cannot escape his wrath - is what I gew up on, and it's mostly nostalgia and humour I watch it for now.

The first thing I ever saw in Japanese was movie 8 - yeah, Broli's not a very deep character but I fell in love with Nozawa's Goku. Even though Drummond is still my Vegeta (seriously, I can't get him out of there), Goku, to me, will always be Nozawa.

The point is - don't worry about 'not getting used to it'. You'll almost certainly like it better than whatever dub you've been watching.

TripleRach wrote:I actually had a conversation about DVDs last night where I ended up saying something like, "I don't care if they cast Gilbert Gottfried as Gokuu in the dub so long as I get the Japanese version." Original Japanese is just the only thing that I enjoy and acknowledge nowadays.
Holy crap. Now that's my Vegeta.

Mr.Piccolo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:46 pm

I like the new way Funi is doing it in their season one boxset. As for what this topic is about, I enjoy both versions but there's times that I'd rather not read subtitles to understand what's going on and as of right now, I don't intend on learning japanese. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm a fan of DragonBall. Not DragonBall by so-and-so. I'm at a point where I know enough about the series that it really doesn't matter how I watch it. Gilbert Gottfried is a different story.
-Rick
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

KillerCory
Beyond Newbie

Post by KillerCory » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:51 pm

Well, just depends on how you start watching it.

Like when I think of something for season 1 or 2 I first think of it with Ocean Dub because that was what I first saw.

And other anime like Naruto and FMA I watch in japanese aswell.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:54 pm

I watched the show in English first with the Ocean cast. Later got into the Japanese through fansubs, and of course was overjoyed to finally be able to get dual language DVDs. I love the Japanese and *will never* choose the English dub over it. I just don't like it. From what I've heard so far, the acting *still* doesn't sound that impressive to me on the recent redub stuff and is inferior to the original dub cast in my opinion.

That being said, I can actually watch an English episode nowadays without having aneurisms and whatnot. :lol: Meaning my days of "fan with extreme anger and righteousness for authentic DBZ" are long gone(basically, I've matured).:lol: It's just given the choice, I will always prefer and pick the original. At the same time, for people that love the dub, kudos to them. It's all about just enjoying the show. 8)
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Mr. Announcer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr. Announcer » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:11 pm

I ran into both versions at about the same time, but since I was just a dumb kid I didn't really care which one was I was watching as long as I could find out what happened next. Nowadays I definitely prefer the original version and mostly avoid the dub unless it's with the ocean cast, or for a cheap laugh. Believe me, you'll get used to it no problem.
For fanart that lacks in variety [url]http://www.announcerguy.deviantart.com[/url]

クリリンのことか~!!!

Android18
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Android18 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:19 pm

where can you see the japanese version?

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:21 pm

Android18 wrote:where can you see the japanese version?

-Corey

Obi-Wan

Post by Obi-Wan » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:23 pm

I started out way back in the day with the Anime Labs stuff, then slowly got acclimated to FUNimation's releases. I was never really a fan of the dub, but like most people I think Brian Drummond did an excellent Vegeta (and while we're on the subject, Sabat is a horrible mimic). I guess I'd say I've seen most, if not all of the episodes dubbed simply because I own all of FUNi's singles and I watched them out of boredom somewhere down the line. Speaking from the point of view of someone who saw it subtitled first, I really think the original Japanese version is head-over-heels better. As for now...I still watch it in Japanese but with no subtitles to practice listening comprehension for my JP studies.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:25 pm

Started with the Japanese. Watched the original English when it came out, but thought the dialog was corny. And it went downhill. Pretty much always watch the Japanese version unless there is no other option (i.e. its on TV or something).
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

theoriginalbilis

Post by theoriginalbilis » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:31 pm

Like most everyone else, I started watching the show with the Ocean/FUNi dubs on Toonami. Then I started buying DBZ & GT fansubs around 2000-2001, while following the dub on TV. Then I gradually moved on to collecting/renting the FUNi DVDs and finally being able to see the whole series in Japanese & English. (As of November 2006, I finally completed viewing all 291 episodes in Japanese! :D )

For me, I'll have nostaglic memories of the Ocean & FUNi dubs, because they introduced me to the show. The Ocean dub was better in terms of vocal performance, but I slightly like the FUNi dub better because there were less edits. I love the Japanese version overall, though. Even if just for Ryusei Nakao & Masako Nozawa. :D
The only Ocean voices I didn't like were Kuririn's & Roshi's. Everyone else was more or less perfect. As for FUNi's dub, I'm more or less comfortable with the majority of the voices and performances. The only ill-fitting voices I can think of are Sean Schemmel's Kaio-sama, and Linda Young's Freeza. The FUNi dub has been improved dramatically with the inclusion of the Japanese BGM on the Season sets.

I can watch the show in just about any language, and find a way enjoy it. Here's my breakdown:

- Japanese version: I'll watch by myself & with my more "hardcore" anime-watching friends.

- FUNi dub with JPN music/Ocean dubs of DBZ Movies 1-3: My family and more casual friends who "don't like subtitles"...

- FUNi dub with US music/Ocean TV dubs: Not my preferred choice, maybe if someone insisted, or it was on TV or something. I don't think I will I watch the US versions with the US music ever again.

So... yeah. Those are my thoughts.

- Bilis
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

theoriginalbilis

Post by theoriginalbilis » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:34 pm

Just about every DB DVD released by FUNimation in the US has it on there. Hell, they like to stamp it on all of their DVD covers. "Includes uncut versions: Uncut English & Original Japanese" or something like that.

I goes without saying that the Japanese DVDs have them on there as well (but with no dub or subtitles.)

- Bilis
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Acid_Reign
Advanced Regular

Post by Acid_Reign » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:35 pm

There's this new technology coming out in about a year or so, called a "Digital Video Disc." I guess it's kinda like VHS, only put onto a CD-ROM. I hear that one of the features it's going to have is the ability to actually choose which language you want to hear when you watch it. Crazy stuff huh?!