Japanese or English?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:37 pm

Payne222 wrote:
bkev wrote:
Payne222 wrote:I say, to please everyone, they should have it like they do on Cartoon Network in Japan. They air each episode both in English and dubbed in Japanese. Why can't they here?
You're freaking kidding, right?
No...? Why would I be? If the Japanese can get right along with it, why can't we?
I meant I don't believe they do that. Not that it's not a good idea, it's a fantastic one at that.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:18 pm

bkev wrote:
Payne222 wrote:
bkev wrote: You're freaking kidding, right?
No...? Why would I be? If the Japanese can get right along with it, why can't we?
I meant I don't believe they do that. Not that it's not a good idea, it's a fantastic one at that.
Because CN is going for the majority of it's audience who9 speaks English. The English one would get the higher ratings than the one only in Japanese due to the ratio of those who speak Japanese to those who speak English in the States is different than it is in Japan.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:27 pm

Right. Like here, I'd assume damn near everywhere does Spanish in SAP transmission now.

Payne222
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Payne222 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:56 pm

Super Sonic wrote:
bkev wrote:
Payne222 wrote: No...? Why would I be? If the Japanese can get right along with it, why can't we?
Because CN is going for the majority of it's audience who9 speaks English. The English one would get the higher ratings than the one only in Japanese due to the ratio of those who speak Japanese to those who speak English in the States is different than it is in Japan.
I don't get it, the majority of their audience in Japan speaks English?? But anyways, I'm glad people agree with me on this! (^_^)
「あの地球人のように?・・・クリリンのことか・・・クリリンのことか————っ!!!!!!」

「オレは地球からきさまをたおすためにやってきたサイヤ人・・・おだやかな心をもちながらはげしい怒りによって目覚めた伝説の戦士・・・超サイヤ人孫悟空だ!!!!!」

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:57 pm

You, unless I'm misinformed, said that they air BOTH versions in Japan.

Which is what you're confusing me on.

Payne222
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Payne222 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:41 pm

bkev wrote:You, unless I'm misinformed, said that they air BOTH versions in Japan.

Which is what you're confusing me on.
Yeah, on the Japanese Cartoon Network station in Japan, they air stuff like Hi Hi or Ed, Edd 'n Eddy in both English and Japanese for each episode.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:19 pm

But do they do it for DBZ? That's what you're leading me to believe.

Payne222
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Payne222 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:40 am

bkev wrote:But do they do it for DBZ? That's what you're leading me to believe.
No, no, no! Sorry for the misunderstanding.
I'm saying that for imported cartoons, CN Japan shows them in both languages. "Them" as in the cartoons imported from America (i.e. Hi Hi, Foster's Home, Ed, Edd 'n Eddy, etc.)
Sorry again! ('^_^)>

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:01 am

I would freakin' LOVE to see Ed, Edd n' Eddy (One of my all-time favorites) in Japanese. Anyone who can get me a link will win many internets.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:44 pm

I was going to say the same thing. I'd also add Johnny Bravo and Powerpuff Girls..because "Demashitaa" sucks.(They have fingers!?)
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Payne222
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Payne222 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:53 pm

Haha, here is a little info on Cartoon Network in Japan, and here is the English section of Cartoon Network Japan's website.

Tony93

Post by Tony93 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:35 pm

Yes, I'm a Dubbie.

Mainly because i grew up with the English version, and the fact that GOKUS SCREAM IS SO ANNOYING IN THE JAPANESE.

ETC123
Banned

Post by ETC123 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:30 pm

Here is the reason as to why CN in Japan can show bilingual versions of foreign shows, and yet the US can't (Or a good enough excuse).

Japan is a fairly bilingual (or they like to think that) country, and does have tourists and people living in US army bases and what not who are an English speaking audience. So they cater for them in that regard, aswell as English speaking Japanese people who want to watch it in it's original language. On top of that since it's directly CN to CN, and all of their animation is produced via international conglomerates and evil towers of death, there's very little quibbling or arguing over who gets what and how this goes market wise because it's more or less a straight port over of the show.

Japanese stuff in the US, on the other hand, does well in regards to things like Naruto or FMA, but other things not so well. Besides which, in order to play certian songs on air, more royalties need to be paid, or certian edits pretty much dont allow simultaneous Japanese broadcast (which people would not actually watch).

It's a big load of confusing poop so whatever. Point is, there's a reason for everything to happen. Just isn't always obvious though.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:43 pm

Holy ----!
They air Charlie Brown & Snoopy!
On topic-uh, BOO CN AMERICA!