FUNimation to release the Spanish Dub On DVD!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

FUNimation to release the Spanish Dub On DVD!

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:29 pm

It looks like FUNimation is going to be releasing the Spanish dub of DBZ on DVD in the US. FUNimation has shocked me again :shock: ...

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827 ... /4/1845/36

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:31 pm

I'm gonna laugh if they're just distributing Spain's version (the one that's based off the DragonBox masters).

I'll buy these though...assuming they aren't 16:9 :P

-Corey

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:35 pm

I'll buy these though...assuming they aren't 16:9
And assuming they have a Japanese track. Actually if it had a Japanese track that would be it, people complaining about the widescreen issue would switch to this thus solving there problem... kind of.
Last edited by Tanooki Kuribo on Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kula
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kula » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:35 pm

If it's 4:3 and has the Japanese version as well, I may just get these (depending on how many episodes are on a disc/set), but I'm not getting my hopes up.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:44 pm

HAHA!

So FUNi saw the demand for the Mexican dub and decided to release it separately. Well played... I'm with those that say that if it's 4:3 and has the Japanese track I'll be all over them.

And Corey, I highly doubt they'll be Spain's DVDs since Spain and South America got different dubs.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:56 pm

This is getting interesting...

I think we can pretty much dismiss anything related to the Spanish (read: SPAIN) release, since the early episodes there were labeled with "La Saga De Los Saiyans", and this one's listed as "El Encuentro de los Saiyajin"... and the Mexican dub literally says aloud "Saiyajin" in their dialogue.

Funny that FUNimation's listed as the distributer... I have to imagine RightStuf wouldn't randomly start throwing in international properties and mistakenly attribute their distribution to another company, so there's gotta be SOME merit to this.

And $9.74 for pre-order? God fuckin' damn!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:59 pm

VegettoEX wrote:This is getting interesting...

I think we can pretty much dismiss anything related to the Spanish (read: SPAIN) release, since the early episodes there were labeled with "La Saga De Los Saiyans", and this one's listed as "El Encuentro de los Saiyajin"... and the Mexican dub literally says aloud "Saiyajin" in their dialogue.
Something that I realized when I went back and read about Spain's releases. Speaking of which, I need to order those as well...

Either way, I'll pick this up. If they do a competant release, I'll buy them all.

-Corey

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:01 pm

Hey, it gets stranger. The Piccolo saga is being released the same day under the "DragonBall Z" name.

At least I think thats the Piccolo saga. Unless the bread of Piccolo is refering to Piccolo and Gohan's relationship then... I guess its the second disc in the Saiyan Saga.
Last edited by Tanooki Kuribo on Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:04 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:
Hey, it gets stranger. The Piccolo saga is being released the same day under the "DragonBall Z" name.

At least I think thats the Piccolo saga. :?
It's a typo on their part... Should have been "El Plan de Piccolo" ["Piccolo's Plan"]. Wich is weird since in the Mexican dub he's always been called Pikoro.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:10 pm

This is a very odd move on FUNi's part IMO, considering how little demand there seems to be for the Spanish dub, and now suddenly it gets its own DVD future. I mean all we had of it in previous releases were the 9 Ultimate Uncut volumes and DBZ movie 5 - Cooler's Revenge, in addition to obscure network airings in America. Anyhow, you guys gotta wonder what aspect ratio/format this'll be in, FUNi's 4:3 saturated digi-beta quality, or season 1's wide-screen. Also, will the Japanese version be apart of this, with Spanish translated subtitles or even English translated subtitles? From the looks of the run-time, it'll be 60 minutes in length, so probably not a season set; ergo no 39 episodes. Lastly, most definitely this'll be the Mexican dub.
14 years later

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:16 pm

Conan the SSJ wrote:This is a very odd move on FUNi's part IMO, considering how little demand there seems to be for the Spanish dub, and now suddenly it gets its own DVD future.
You'd be surprised... Central and South Americans have been wanting a DVD release of this for the longest time from what I've been hearing... Not to mention the fact that theres tons of Latinos in the US. Make it playable in whatever region Central/South America is, and presto!

This could work well, but also has the potential of crapping out halfway through...

Also, in before Bardock the Mexican shits a brick. ;)

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:36 pm

It's only 60 minutes, so what would that be, 3 episodes?
I thought they started doing 5-per-disc.
Could this be a *GASP* Spanish version of the Ocean dub? I almost have the feeling it could be like that, as it has only 60 minutes and that was about the runtime for all of the old oens. Plus, a price so cheap! Funi could be using this to get people to say "f*ck this even widescreen is better"
Oh, boy, there goes my sanity... with a theory like that, there's no WAY I'm sane!

Please don't kill me (calling me insane is valid though,) but after what FUNi's done to us, I almost wouldn't be surprised.

In all seriousness though, unless it's the plan above, it's a god move on their part.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:46 pm

bkev wrote:It's only 60 minutes, so what would that be, 3 episodes?
I thought they started doing 5-per-disc.
Could this be a *GASP* Spanish version of the Ocean dub? I almost have the feeling it could be like that, as it has only 60 minutes and that was about the runtime for all of the old oens. Plus, a price so cheap! Funi could be using this to get people to say "f*ck this even widescreen is better"
Oh, boy, there goes my sanity... with a theory like that, there's no WAY I'm sane!

Please don't kill me (calling me insane is valid though,) but after what FUNi's done to us, I almost wouldn't be surprised.

In all seriousness though, unless it's the plan above, it's a god move on their part.
Redoing a Spanish version is the most counterproductive thing FUNi could do... Specially a censored version...

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:50 pm

Exactlly why I'm insane!!!

On topic though, this si still a good idea.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:53 pm

Dragon Ball Z (Spanish) DVD: El Pan de Piccolo
Haha! "Piccolo's bread".
*Gets an amusing mental image of young Gohan trying to get the bread while Piccolo eats it with one hand while holding Gohan off with the other*

I know spanish pretty well, so this is a possibility.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

PythonMonty504
Not-So-Newbie

Post by PythonMonty504 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:15 pm

The is a very interesting release (and very confusing at the same time). The thing that bothers me the most is that the age rating is 7+ (which somewhat indicates it could be an edited version.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:21 pm

PythonMonty504 wrote:The is a very interesting release (and very confusing at the same time). The thing that bothers me the most is that the age rating is 7+ (which somewhat indicates it could be an edited version.
That's a point I forgot to mention, thanks!
So yeah, D:

PythonMonty504
Not-So-Newbie

Post by PythonMonty504 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:27 pm

It's also a bit weird that these releases are on the same date as the Season 2 boxset.

Magica
Regular

Post by Magica » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:28 pm

So is this Spanish dub the same as the one I used to watch on Telemundo years ago or a different one?

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:30 pm

I'd assume the same, as Telemundo is a Mexican station (it is right? *gets stared down*)