So why doesn't FUNi use DragonBox footage?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

b_boult
Beyond Newbie

Post by b_boult » Thu May 10, 2007 10:56 am

Kendamu wrote:I think the overall message is "hang in there and you'll get what you want from us" or something to that effect.
I think you're quite the optimist.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu May 10, 2007 12:02 pm

Well, I'm not about to pour all my hate and negativity into a teleivision show.... no matter how good it is!
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Thu May 10, 2007 6:16 pm

Kendamu wrote:I think the overall message is "hang in there and you'll get what you want from us" or something to that effect.
...how'd you get that? Did you translate it to Chinese and then back to English using Babelfish? ;p

Still, I wonder what "hang in there" would consist of...since it's been 12 years since DragonBall first premiered in the US.

-Corey

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Fri May 11, 2007 7:28 pm

It might be a strategy... Come out with "lol Wid3skr33nz" edition and get people to buy it "cuz it's so damn cheap!!11! lol" and have that followed with a Collector's DragonBox Version for a shit-ton of money that the hardcore market MUST have. It's all a mind game... They're playing us like violins!

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Fri May 11, 2007 7:35 pm

SonGokuGT wrote:It might be a strategy... Come out with "lol Wid3skr33nz" edition and get people to buy it "cuz it's so damn cheap!!11! lol" and have that followed with a Collector's DragonBox Version for a shit-ton of money that the hardcore market MUST have. It's all a mind game... They're playing us like violins!
Or, since they already tested the waters and found that the hardcore market isn't putting a dent in their numbers, they'll put out a Blu-Ray version of these same masters in a couple of years and make a mint with a lower cost in terms of production.

Face it guys, they took a risk and made their own revamped materials...and they won, big time. Joe Suncoast (Jr.) doesn't give a fuck about bitrates, audio quality, cropping or anything else aside from it looking bright, colorful and filling up his 16:9 screen that he (or his parents) bought to impress his friends. As usual, FUNimation catered to the lowest common denominator and won, just as they've made a business of doing with DragonBall Z since...well, 1999 at least (when they fully took over production and couldn't scapegoat Saban).

Find another show and move on, or learn Japanese and buy the R2's. You'll thank me.

-Corey

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat May 12, 2007 12:27 am

Then I guess they've proven the obvious that the "lowest denominator" or whatever people are saying is the majority... and as a business the majority is who they cater to.

Sometimes I wonder why I have to care so much.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat May 12, 2007 12:34 am

On topic, main reason why Funi doesn't use Dragonbox footage is simple. Most of the series was released before the Dragonboxes were.

ETC123
Banned

Post by ETC123 » Sat May 12, 2007 12:59 am

Super Sonic wrote:Most of the series was released before the Dragonboxes were.
This doesn't make sense, because they still managed to wrangle out film masters or whatever they want to call it for the episodes AFTER releasing most of the series on three eps a disc.

Besides which, having new remasters in Japan doesn't negate them coming to the US- it just is an unlikely scenario. For example, ADV got an interlaced, yet remastered version of Evangelion from their renewal shit.

Either Dragonboxes were too expensive (most likely) or as Corey has said, they took a bit of a risk, and it has paid off handsomly.

Won't go further than that.

edit: to anyone drawing any conclusions from what FUNimation is saying, a word of advice- don't. It's carefully structure corpo-biz speak meant to delude you by saying absolutely nothing in an elegant, interpretive way. FUNimation have no intentions on releasing a Dragonbox print of the DVDs because there would be no point for them to do so. All they're doing is trying to keep your interest alive so that maybe one day, you'll either cave in or I dunno, do something.

Sure, FUNimation have some considerations of the fans in mind, but dont think that they, or other Anime companies are nessecerally working in your best interest.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat May 12, 2007 3:04 am

Just so you know. My response was sarcasm. And I was avoiding making a crack about Funimation being money hungry, and whoring the series a la EVA.

shenron002
Beyond Newbie

Post by shenron002 » Sat May 26, 2007 2:12 pm

I've read and heard that question a lot of times. We've all specualted over it, but we never got an official answer. So, I went to the source for American animated DBZ and what I have to share is... a whole lot of nothing.

I asked the FUNi reps (through FUNi's official MySpace page) why the Dragonbox footage wasn't being used. I asked if Toei was being greedy or if it was something on FUNi's end. I even asked really nicely for an answer. Here's the response I got.

"I wish I could but that's just something I won't be allowed to comment on, sorry."

That's weird. There's never been any problems with any other questions I ever had. I even asked them how many letters they got about 4:3 boxsets and asked if the DBZ Brand Manager got the petition for a 4:3 boxset in the mail yet. Not only did I get that info but I got info on when he was going to show it to the higher-ups!

What's the big secret? By not telling us, it only makes us (or at least me) want to specualte more on the situation!

What kinds of theories are floating out there, guys? What do you think is going on and why do you think there's so much secrecy about the DragonBox footage getting a US release?
well, i'm new to this forum, but i share your guy's hatred towards the big orange brick! Anyways I'm from the FUNimation forums, i was the one behind the whole petition campaign. Mostly reason for me comming over to this forums is because, the FUNimation forums are full of selllouts and 9 year olds! anyways i did the same thing as kendamu, and ask funireps a few questions on myspace!
I had been asked by another fan if we will release the Dragonbox set but at this time Toei in Japan has not given us the rights to that particular release. I'm sure there will be another release but it won't be until a bit in the future. The Dragon Ball Series are usually re-released in various formats and as long as their interest I'm sure they will keep this trend.

----------------- Original Message -----------------
Date: May 7, 2007 1:56 PM

Sorry to bother you again Will there be a DBZ release comparable to Japan's anytime soon or in the future!
Date: May 14, 2007 1:22 PM

Toei sold the masters to Spain! So why do they have a comparable one to the Japanese, and FUNimation doesn't! I'm surprised, considering how much money FUNimation made on the Dragon Ball franchise, shouldn't FUNimation have the masters that Toei and Pony Canyon Produced rather than Spain?
----------------- ---------------- -----------------
Date: May 15, 2007

I don't know the details of the contracts and even so I don't think the executives will share that kind of info anyway. It may be something they are working on I really don't know.
it's just my contribution for joining! and a few images i managed to put together!

Image 1: Fullscreen DBZ on Widescreen TV (16x9 Mode)
http://photo.ringo.com/198/198914495O842392979.jpg

mage 2: Widescreen DBZ on Widescreen TV (16x9 Mode)
http://photo.ringo.com/209/209544830O290514533.jpg

Image 3: Fullscreen DBZ on Widescreen TV (4x3 Mode)
http://photo.ringo.com/209/209544802O325965365.jpg

Image 4: Widescreen DBZ on Widescreen TV (16x9 Mode)
http://photo.ringo.com/198/198925279O456276613.jpg

i hope you guys enjoyed, it's too bad i wasn't with you guys from the beginning!

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sat May 26, 2007 6:38 pm

Super Sonic wrote:Just so you know. My response was sarcasm. And I was avoiding making a crack about Funimation being money hungry, and whoring the series a la EVA.
They weren't actually whoring Evangelion, just as they released one thing, something else for it came out that they didn't know about. Then when it was finally done they had to do it again fully remastered for better enjoyment. Though I spent £100 on the whole set, the next week it was half price! :roll: