Tanooki's DBZ: Season 2 Box Set Dissection

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue May 15, 2007 2:35 pm

Am I the only one that remembers that line being amazing?
Amazingly disturbing? Yes.

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Tue May 15, 2007 2:50 pm

Holy shit, I already have it. ZStore got this to me in two days! Finally, I can enjoy the full, or should I say WIDE (you see what I did there? ,uncut Namek saga with subs.

No more support from me after this release FUNimation! :D

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Tue May 15, 2007 5:05 pm

Hmm..just took a look at that 'YES YES YES' speech clip, and wow Chris Sabat sucked badly back in the day. Once he started screaming out "I'm home..!" and so on...it was his Vegeta impression!

fps_anth, I trust you have the 4:3 singles of the rest of the series? If so then...CONGRATS. You're finally done.

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Tue May 15, 2007 5:08 pm

Kaze no Mune wrote:
Tanooki Kuribo wrote: "YES! YES! YES! I! CAN! WIN! I! CAN! WIN!" (Yes there IS an exclamation point after every word, if you heard this line you would understand)
Am I the only one that remembers that line being amazing? :oops:
I actually do agree with you. The line it's self is good...it's just this was when Sabat was first starting out, it'll be better with a Re-Dub.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

Kaze no Mune
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kaze no Mune » Tue May 15, 2007 10:21 pm

It could have something to do with the fact that I was 11 or 12 when I first saw those episodes (IIRC), but I remember that line quite fondly.
[b]PSN: Mune-sama[/b]

Add me for some HD Remix or SF4.

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Tue May 15, 2007 11:43 pm

FDLink wrote:Ugh, all this widespread acceptance of the tripe that is being fed to us is quite disheartening. I guess the rest of us will have to wait another 5-10 years for another re-release since most DBZ fans are apparently too weak-willed and impulsive to demand what we deserve, as the people who put money in Gen Fukunaga's pockets.

But in another decade, I'm wondering if the remaining few of us will even give a shit anymore...
Agreed. I've completely given up on collecting anything Dragon Ball for now. Unless FUNimation releases some 4:3 DVD's, I'm going to focus on a few select animes; mainly Kenshin and FMA. Other than that I guess I'll just get some Buffy DVD's.

It's disgusting really how people eat this shit up like soup and crackers and still maintain that they are pissed and want a 4:3 release. Oh well, it's cheap right? Have some fucking standards and wait or look elsewhere, or at something else completely.

In the end though, your money not mine, so whatever. :roll:

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Wed May 16, 2007 1:07 am

It's disgusting really how people eat this shit up like soup and crackers and still maintain that they are pissed and want a 4:3 release. Oh well, it's cheap right? Have some fucking standards and wait or look elsewhere, or at something else completely
Oh come on now, I am like that but you need to see the other perspective. These Box Sets give DragonBall in a new way, and by this I mean Dubbed with the Original Score. This is like seeing DBZ in a whole new light for me. It's exciting and I look forward to it, I get to hear the voice that I know and love with the Original Music. Yes, I would PREFER these releases be in 4:3, but that's not going to prevent me from buying the stuff I love.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

KinoFourpaws
Regular

Post by KinoFourpaws » Wed May 16, 2007 1:09 am

Eclipse wrote:I'm actually surprised that out of all the redub possiblities, they only decided to do Vegeta and Krillin =P Who decided not to include Goku in this?
Well (not to condone the fact that they only redubbed part of the episodes), the fact that they've only redone the lines for a few characters may be due to the fact that some of the VAs no longer live in an area close enough to the FUNimation recording studio(s). Mr. Hebert I know was able to fly back to Texas to re-record all the narrator's lines, but other VAs (and here I'm thinking of Mr. Schemmel specifically) may not have been able to do the same thing, whether because of monetary or time restraints. And, even though there are likely still quite a few voice actors who live close enough, several of them could have had problems finding time for voicing old lines again as well. A lot of these people have busy schedules, I mean; and they do have other things they do in life besides voicing DBZ characters as well. It could simply have been a problem of unavailability.

Now, that said, that doesn't really excuse whoever is in charge of the Remastered DBZ project from getting these people into the studio like they should have. They should have tried to work something out with the VAs if they were having that kind of problem with them, seriously. I personally would prefer that they take a while to release these sets because they're actually working to get the stuff for it done right rather than have them release everything quickly with flaws like this. No offense, FUNi; you guys do some excellent work with your anime series when you've got the right people working on the job... but who the hell exactly did you choose to do this project?! Please, fire the guys already and get someone better... D:

I'm just hoping that this whole fiasco with the season sets thus far is just intended to help FUNi get enough money so they can at some point in the future get all the things they need to do a proper release of the series... I mean, it'd be kind of stupid to do all of this without an aim like that... >_>;
Art, etc. links taken down for now. Will be updated at some point. I dunno.

I NEED A NEW SIGNATURE D:

Steam handle: KinoFourpaws. Want to shoot up some zambees?

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Wed May 16, 2007 5:19 am

Mine should arrive anytime this week :x Hurry, I've already finished Season 1.

The Dub is still crap since some things weren't corrected. And you can still see Shit subtitled as Dammit. Atleast for the Season 3 boxset we'll get completely uncut lines for the dub.

Anyone expecting Dragonball and Dragonball GT season boxes released? Maybe a Yellow box for DB and a Red one for GT. :D I could even whip up an example on Photoshop or Illustrator later.

ETC123
Banned

Post by ETC123 » Wed May 16, 2007 6:53 am

The Time Traveller wrote: And you can still see Shit subtitled as Dammit.
here's the thing with that; it's context. It COULD mean shit, as it does mean shit literally, but considering the age group DBZ is pointed towards, it does make more sense to translate it as Damnit. It works even in English- people say 'bugger' all the time without indicating that it does, actually, mean to roger someone up the butt.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Wed May 16, 2007 7:06 am

Lavender Saiyan wrote:I actually do agree with you. The line it's self is good...it's just this was when Sabat was first starting out, it'll be better with a Re-Dub.
"Yes! Yes! I feel great! I can do this! I'm home! I'm awake! I'm alive! I'm wide awake!"

Reminds me a bit too much of this :P

-Corey
Hopes this is all a joke and no one really thinks that is a good line of dialogue >_>;;;;

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed May 16, 2007 7:14 am

MajinVejitaXV wrote:
Lavender Saiyan wrote:I actually do agree with you. The line it's self is good...it's just this was when Sabat was first starting out, it'll be better with a Re-Dub.
"Yes! Yes! I feel great! I can do this! I'm home! I'm awake! I'm alive! I'm wide awake!"

Reminds me a bit too much of this :P

-Corey
Hopes this is all a joke and no one really thinks that is a good line of dialogue >_>;;;;
Haha! I forgot about that commercial! I actually always thought it resembled something you'd hear on a Richard Simmons workout tape. Well that or a really cheesy Charlton Heston flick.XP
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Snail

Post by Snail » Wed May 16, 2007 11:17 am

LOL That was awesome.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed May 16, 2007 11:42 am

The Time Traveller wrote: The Dub is still crap since some things weren't corrected. And you can still see Shit subtitled as Dammit. Atleast for the Season 3 boxset we'll get completely uncut lines for the dub.
Go learn more japanese before complaining about incorrect subtitles. Please.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Wed May 16, 2007 11:45 am

ETC123 wrote:
here's the thing with that; it's context. It COULD mean shit, as it does mean shit literally, but considering the age group DBZ is pointed towards, it does make more sense to translate it as Damnit. It works even in English- people say 'bugger' all the time without indicating that it does, actually, mean to roger someone up the butt.
Most things are subtitled as Dammit though, more and more, if they did that for the new Hellsing then they're idiots. There should be fucks coming form wall to wall in that.

I haven't heard the "Newly Revised" FUNi dub yet, I might watch that next, but are there any swear words in that?

theoriginalbilis

Post by theoriginalbilis » Wed May 16, 2007 12:45 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:I haven't heard the "Newly Revised" FUNi dub yet, I might watch that next, but are there any swear words in that?
All I've heard so far is Kuririn & Vegeta occasionally saying "damnit" & I heard "bastard" once. Not sure about the Season 2 set though.

- Bilis
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed May 16, 2007 1:06 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:
ETC123 wrote:
Most things are subtitled as Dammit though, more and more, if they did that for the new Hellsing then they're idiots. There should be fucks coming form wall to wall in that.

I haven't heard the "Newly Revised" FUNi dub yet, I might watch that next, but are there any swear words in that?
What bloody difference does it make whether or not there's heavy swearing in it? It's a kids' shows for God's sakes! I guess it can't qualify as "uber hardcore" otherwise.:roll: Honestly.....

Are you fluent in speaking, writing, and translating Japanese to English? Unless you are, you have no leg to stand on in this matter concerning the correct transliteration of a word that has as a wide a range of meaning as Oprah Winfrey's influence on bored, mindless housewives. The culture and language itself doesn't even view swearing in the same vein as English speakers do.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Wed May 16, 2007 1:16 pm

Jerseymilk wrote:
The Time Traveller wrote:
ETC123 wrote: here's the thing with that; it's context. It COULD mean shit, as it does mean shit literally, but considering the age group DBZ is pointed towards, it does make more sense to translate it as Damnit. It works even in English- people say 'bugger' all the time without indicating that it does, actually, mean to roger someone up the butt.

What bloody difference does it make whether or not there's heavy swearing in it? It's a kids' shows for God's sakes! I guess it can't qualify as "uber hardcore" otherwise.:roll: Honestly.....

Are you fluent in speaking, writing, and translating Japanese to English? Unless you are, you have no leg to stand on in this matter concerning the correct transliteration of a word that has as a wide a range of meaning as Oprah Winfrey's influence on bored, mindless housewives. The culture and language itself doesn't even view swearing in the same vein as English speakers do.
I know.

I'm just asking, did they? Note, NEWLY REVISED! NEWLY REVISED! If that meant "Vegeta's voice changed so we rerecorded him", then they could have said it.

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Wed May 16, 2007 4:14 pm

Lavender Saiyan wrote:
It's disgusting really how people eat this shit up like soup and crackers and still maintain that they are pissed and want a 4:3 release. Oh well, it's cheap right? Have some fucking standards and wait or look elsewhere, or at something else completely
Oh come on now, I am like that but you need to see the other perspective. These Box Sets give DragonBall in a new way, and by this I mean Dubbed with the Original Score. This is like seeing DBZ in a whole new light for me. It's exciting and I look forward to it, I get to hear the voice that I know and love with the Original Music. Yes, I would PREFER these releases be in 4:3, but that's not going to prevent me from buying the stuff I love.
In my opinion the original score does not save the dub with it's horrible acting, and very annoying script changes. While the dub has it's moments, few and far between, I still can't bring myself to watch an entire episode or movie entirely in English.

Not only that, but it was not well mixed and sounds like complete crap. I was very optimistic for this feature, but once again; FUNimation disappointed me. :cry:

"Few and far between", is that right?

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Wed May 16, 2007 5:18 pm

They gave you the japanese version... Shouldnt that be enough for the fans of japanese.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat