Manga Dragon Ball = porno

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
coola
I Live Here
Posts: 3032
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 7:33 am
Location: Poland

Manga Dragon Ball = porno

Post by coola » Thu May 17, 2007 11:17 am

I'm from Poland,polish dub was already discuss,and to be honest,it is horrible,but in other hand, Manga published by JPF is wonderful{perfect translation}However,some idiot from program called Uwaga!{Attention!}called DB Manga a porno :? {Announcer said it after analised only first tom of manga...Bulma and panties,he thought that Bulma is only 14 and called Master Roshi pedophile :lol: }Thanks to that program,we never saw Dragon Ball in TV, you can see it here{ in Polish language} http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udkLWfgliEc

User avatar
Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6948
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:31 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Post by Kendamu » Thu May 17, 2007 11:44 am

Censorship sucks!

In the USA we also have problems with the Dragonball anime. They are not as bad as your problems, but we still don't like them. So, some of us go to Japanese websites and buy Japanese Dragonball Z DVDs.

They are Japanese only with no subtitles. If that is okay, maybe you can buy them, too.

User avatar
Bardock the Mexican
Regular
Posts: 561
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:54 pm
Location: Delano, CA

Post by Bardock the Mexican » Thu May 17, 2007 3:51 pm

This is funny because in DB there are some instances that definately skirt the definition of porno. Although, as a whole this is a wrong assumption. Certainly when the anime showed in Mexico it was censored to a degree. Muten Roshi's antics were of course, censored in some contexts as well as the little Puff-puff incident in the beginning of Dragonball. One must recognize that the reason for this and every other edit are the collective morality of a people. This is what guides what we all consider "appropriate" for television. Ignore for now that a lot of rules in the United States about broadcasting guidelines are a joke.
Ejercito Zapatista de Liberacion Nacional: Es nuestra palabra sencilla...

User avatar
Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5150
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:21 pm
Location: Munciana

Post by Big Momma » Thu May 17, 2007 8:53 pm

Yeah, but I myself can understand why censorship of certain things are made. Obviously Dragonball does have more nudity/etc. than most would expect. I myself was suprised when I read DB Volume 1 for the first time(It's not the nudity itself, it's just the way it's used.)

On the other hand, some things I don't get. In last Saturday's episode of Naruto, there was a particular scene showing Naruto on the toilet. Naruto flushes, and in the original, there is a shot of the toilet water spiraling down the drain(But you couldn't tell if it was 1 or 2, it just looked like water.) However, in the dub, the shot with the spiraling water was cut out. That's what I don't get. Kids (If they''re human) see spiraling toilet water everyday...and what went into the toilet. So I don't see why this would be edited.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog
Want to join the (Un)Official Kanzenshuu Discord Server?~Click Here~

User avatar
desirecampbell
Moderator
Posts: 4296
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:55 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Post by desirecampbell » Thu May 17, 2007 9:01 pm

And boys and girls see their own naughty-bits every day - but those get cut out (or covered with weird shaking bushes) too.

Censorship is the only actually evil thing I can think of. It's imposing one's beliefs about what is morally acceptable to see upon others. It just makes me want to murder people.

User avatar
KaiserNeko
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1953
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:37 pm
Location: Dallas, TX United States

Post by KaiserNeko » Fri May 18, 2007 3:34 am

Oh, my God, it's so over-dramatic, I can't take this a little bit seriously. @_@ It's the SOUND EFFECTS and the DRAMATIC MUSIC. Maybe it would help if I could understand what they're saying, but jeeze. c_c

User avatar
The Time Traveller
I Live Here
Posts: 3450
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 1:32 pm
Location: UK

Post by The Time Traveller » Fri May 18, 2007 9:28 am

If thats Porno... what's La Blue Girl?

User avatar
Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6948
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:31 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Post by Kendamu » Fri May 18, 2007 9:49 am

I remember reading something recently on another forum along the lines of this:

"Censorship is protection for ideas that can't protect themselves".

Makes you wonder how strong the ideas are amongst the people if said ideas need Government protection.

User avatar
Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7753
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Quebec, Canada

Post by Dayspring » Fri May 18, 2007 2:31 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:If thats Porno... what's La Blue Girl?
Ambrosia. :P
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

User avatar
Duo
I Live Here
Posts: 3213
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:14 pm
Location: West Michigan
Contact:

Post by Duo » Fri May 18, 2007 3:32 pm

In the dictionary definition of Pornography, it basically says that Porno is an drawing or presentation with little artistic value but to cause sexual stimulation. Quite frankly, I don't think Toriyama's intent was that in the least bit by having Bulma appear topless twice throughout 42 volumes of Manga. Titanic is more pornographic than Dragonball, because that whole nude scene was fricken pointless.

I really don't think it was necessary for Toriyama-sensei to put that in, but it's not that big of a deal or worth getting up in arms about. Prime Time Sitcoms do the same stuff or worse all the time, you just don't see the bare breasts completely.

Double-standard - the theme of American Television Censorship.
Ajay is a skank

User avatar
Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7753
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Quebec, Canada

Post by Dayspring » Fri May 18, 2007 3:41 pm

Duo wrote:In the dictionary definition of Pornography, it basically says that Porno is an drawing or presentation with little artistic value but to cause sexual stimulation. Quite frankly, I don't think Toriyama's intent was that in the least bit by having Bulma appear topless twice throughout 42 volumes of Manga. Titanic is more pornographic than Dragonball, because that whole nude scene was fricken pointless.

I really don't think it was necessary for Toriyama-sensei to put that in, but it's not that big of a deal or worth getting up in arms about. Prime Time Sitcoms do the same stuff or worse all the time, you just don't see the bare breasts completely.

Double-standard - the theme of American Television Censorship.
Altough, the "no balls" thing does bother me a bit. It's not the first manga that he's used where a kid was taught to use an old man's crotch as a pillow. Granted it lead to the ever-so-funny method of how a boy learned the difference between men and women, but I'm pretty sure that's not a typical Japanese custom or joke.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here
Posts: 2440
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:46 pm

Post by SonGokuGT » Fri May 18, 2007 5:45 pm

Gotta love that video...

"SEX! SEX!"

Retarded... Next time read the ENTIRE book before judging it!

User avatar
Godo
I Live Here
Posts: 3318
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:25 am

Post by Godo » Fri May 18, 2007 6:02 pm

Dayspring wrote:
Duo wrote:In the dictionary definition of Pornography, it basically says that Porno is an drawing or presentation with little artistic value but to cause sexual stimulation. Quite frankly, I don't think Toriyama's intent was that in the least bit by having Bulma appear topless twice throughout 42 volumes of Manga. Titanic is more pornographic than Dragonball, because that whole nude scene was fricken pointless.

I really don't think it was necessary for Toriyama-sensei to put that in, but it's not that big of a deal or worth getting up in arms about. Prime Time Sitcoms do the same stuff or worse all the time, you just don't see the bare breasts completely.

Double-standard - the theme of American Television Censorship.
Altough, the "no balls" thing does bother me a bit. It's not the first manga that he's used where a kid was taught to use an old man's crotch as a pillow. Granted it lead to the ever-so-funny method of how a boy learned the difference between men and women, but I'm pretty sure that's not a typical Japanese custom or joke.
That has worried me too. But what if it just looked like the pillow grandpa Gohan used to use? In some crazy kinda way.

User avatar
Pieter
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 297
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:37 pm
Location: Holland

Post by Pieter » Fri May 18, 2007 6:03 pm

Bulma was 16 at the start of Dragon Ball. That would have been legal for Roshi if his actions happened for real in my country :?
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1oUa0XZ7X8]Take Pride![/url]

User avatar
caejones
I Live Here
Posts: 3124
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:37 am
Contact:

Post by caejones » Fri May 18, 2007 7:16 pm

Reminds me of one of the old dubs (Was it Harmony Gold?), where they made a point of keeping Master Roshi perverted, but only toward people close to his age... :confused:

Meh, porn is intended to stimulate the viewers. So is not the case with any of the Masterroshiistoointerestedinwomen scenes. The purpose was... way... different... quite the opposite, in fact.
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

User avatar
Bura
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1247
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:30 pm
Location: Netherlands

Post by Bura » Sat May 19, 2007 11:22 am

Haha, that program made me laugh out loud. That's all ridiculous, I feel sorry for all the anime fans from Poland. I'm glad the Netherlands isn't this strict. DragonBall is actually placed with the kid magazines.

Post Reply